• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] SL Vs Viking

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have an SL coming in the mail and I have never thrown one before. It seems to have the same fade and turn numbers as the Viking ( -1 / +2) but it seems to have a glide of 5 (4 for the Viking) and a speed of 10 (9 for the Viking) .

I am wondering if anyone has thrown both and how they compare, and also how would the Valk compare to the SL?

I haven't thrown a viking, but as for the Valk comparison, I can help.

To me, the SL seemed like a slightly longer Valk, but it wasn't as controllable. The flight paths weren't dissimilar if the releases were perfect, but the SL seemed less tolerant of extra power. Given correct speeds, the SL will turn a little less and fade a little more. However, throw at too high a speed, the valk will turn a little more than normal, but still stay true to its numbers where as the SL got flippy and unpredictable. The extra 20 feet isn't worth the consistency of a valk to me.

Hope my 2 cents helps.

Kind of. I have been throwing the Wraith almost 300ft, but I don't think I have the arm speed for it. I like the Viking and the Valk, but the SL seems like a fast Viking with more glide, so it just might work for me, because I can almost power the Wraith, but not quite, and I think I might over power the Valk. I don't know, I guess I will just have to do some testing.

If you are throwing a little shorter than 300 ft, the speed should be just right. You might have a lot of success with it. It just doesn't like being thrown too fast so my 325-350 makes it get a little too flippy for my tastes. In the interest of full disclosure, I've only thrown one about 6-7 times, but I feel pretty comfortable in my judgments on it.

Good luck with the new disc!

Well, I guess I will just have to see what happens. I am still bummed about loosing my Champ Valk, but maybe the SL will make up for it.

I throw both a Viking and an SL, but I haven't had the viking for very long.

The SL is probably a hair more overstable, but does fly pretty similar to a viking. I don't really know what to tell you about which one goes farther. With a backhand, I can generally get more distance with the viking, but with a forehand the SL cruises.

Kind of. I have been throwing the Wraith almost 300ft, but I don't think I have the arm speed for it. I like the Viking and the Valk, but the SL seems like a fast Viking with more glide, so it just might work for me, because I can almost power the Wraith, but not quite, and I think I might over power the Valk. I don't know, I guess I will just have to do some testing.
no offense buddy but you dont have the arm speed to throw a SL either.
Depending on what weight you got your gonna have hard time getting it up to speed to turn ,so itll throw alot like a starfire for you.

I havnt owned a SL in awhile but back when i was throwing 330ish with a 167 starfire i could only throw a 175SL with a big hook and would be lucky if it went 275.

At less than 300ft with a wraith, you need to step it down to a teebird or eagle until you're getting those around 300-325ft. Then consider an SL or an Orc.

For me the Viking flips a little more. Makes sense given the difference in speed.

It's a shame you're not using the discs section of your DGCR profile. I was hoping to compare the SL to something you and I might both have. I do not have a Viking but I would say the SL is very similar to the Surge. Slightly slower but I think they fly the same. I'll bet you don't have a Surge though and in that case I'm just typing in order to make it look like I'm doing something in my cubical ;)

The SL is a great disc though and I don't see a lot of people throwing it.
I find it's a driver I can throw hard from a standstill and it goes very straight.

It's a shame you're not using the discs section of your DGCR profile. I was hoping to compare the SL to something you and I might both have. I do not have a Viking but I would say the SL is very similar to the Surge. Slightly slower but I think they fly the same. I'll bet you don't have a Surge though and in that case I'm just typing in order to make it look like I'm doing something in my cubical ;)

The SL is a great disc though and I don't see a lot of people throwing it.
I find it's a driver I can throw hard from a standstill and it goes very straight.
I have a Surge SS, but I haven't thrown it much

I've thrown both. Big questions are what plastics you have them in and what weights you are throwing.

I have a friend who throws a 175 Champ Viking exclusively, and he's gotten a variety of shots out of this thing- he can throw any line with it, and it hasn't gotten too flippy on him.

As for SL- if you got it in Pro plastic (Pro Starfires = SL's as well) these start off fairly similiar- but they end up ENTIRELY different with aging. I have two Pro SL's that I throw with a ton of hyzer, and they still turnover to the point of it just being a long, right turn (RHBH throw). If you got it in star plastic, which I assume, I would say it will feel more like a wraith to start off, perhaps slightly more forgiving. But as it wears in (which can take years with star plastic), you'll start to see it increase it's turn rating quite a bit, and lose it's fade.

I hope that helps.

I did see this guy throw a Viking perfectly straight for 400 feet. I strong arm everything and they flip. Need...more...snap.

At less than 300ft with a wraith, you need to step it down to a teebird or eagle until you're getting those around 300-325ft. Then consider an SL or an Orc.
I agree with this 100%. After a little working on my game I can get my Eagle and Teebird consistently to 325-350 ft and I just bought and Orc the other day and had a couple of drives that were creeping on 400 feet.

Latest posts