• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Sleepy scale in Marketplace--Help me manage my expectatios as a buyer

Noahlearner

Par Member
Disc Condition Scale aka "The Sleepy Scale"
10 - Never thrown, no ink, brand new condition
9 - Field tested or used for one or two rounds
8 - Lightly used with very minimal wear
7 - Used with some minor dings or scuffs but still in good shape
6 - Typical used disc with the usual dings, scratches but still worthy
5 - Kinda beat, significant wear, has lost a good bit of it's stability
4 - Beat up turnover disc with some evident war story wear
3 or under - Beat to Hades dog chew toy

How do tree hits and warpings play into the scale. If a disc has scuffs, scratches and is warped from tree hits, where does it fit into scale?

What have you encountered that made you scratch your head as a buyer?

This is how I try to rate stuff I have in the marketplace...

10 is new obviously
9 has been thrown, but maybe less than a dozen times, shows signs of being thrown if you really look for them
8 some surface wear but rim and outer edge are clean
7 has some rim or edge dings
6 has more dings and has lost some stability aside from the initial break in from a new disc

I try not to sell anything under a 6, figure nobody wants to buy something that beat. And if I'm unsure on a rating I'll put it halfway between 2 numbers. Excessive ink might drop the rating a bit too.

Warped?

Here is a pic as an example. You can see the right side warps up visibly.

Attachments

• photo (10).jpg
    photo (10).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
ummm without the disc being super warped like twisted into a figure 8 pics are gonna be a lil difficult to judge also without multiple angles. By the pic, Ive seen discs come like that from the factory, muchless you are pushing down on the opposite side, etc

That's hard to tell. You're pushing it down on the one side and how do we know that surface is level? Doesn't look that warped to me. Opto Pure? Looks like a solid 8/10 to me maybe 7/10 if you're being picky.

That's hard to tell. You're pushing it down on the one side and how do we know that surface is level? Doesn't look that warped to me. Opto Pure? Looks like a solid 8/10 to me maybe 7/10 if you're being picky.

without seeing the face of it based on the edges it could even be new. I feel like its a whole 3 sides to every story concept: person one, person two, reality.

I love that the picture includes a to-do list that was ignored to create this thread.

:thmbup:

Guys this has been super useful. The todo list is from August. Ugh. Maybe it should come down. I will hot water trick it. I don't want to be whiny, I want to know what to expect when looking at rating in marketplace threads.

it goes both ways too though. I'm super critical of my discs and often times under rate them (meaning I'll give it an 8 and the person who gets it will feel like they got practically a new disc). I don't really buy anything other than new anymore and any trades I actually look for a little bit lower rating depending what I'm looking for...an example of that circumstance was recently did a trade for some lucid truths that they scaled out at like a 7 which was perfect for me because I needed on pre beat in so I didnt have to myself.

Sleepy scale is practically useless. Everything is a 7 or 8 to everybody, unless its never been thrown

Sleepy scale is practically useless. Everything is a 7 or 8 to everybody, unless its never been thrown

The Sleepy Scale is like many aging government programs... it used to be useful, is in vast need of an update, but will probably live on in perpetuity as originally written.

The Sleepy Scale is like many aging government programs... it used to be useful, is in vast need of an update, but will probably live on in perpetuity as originally written.

this :clap:

I agree, but right now it's the best thing we have to "rate" a disc.
I would like to see a unified flight rating system for all disc manufacturers, but that ain't happening no time soon...