• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slight Issue with handedness

djmoody

Well, I've really been serious about disc golf for about 4 months now (my new college has a very nice course, and my roommate played a lot and got me more into the sport) and I've come across a slight issue.

I'm ambidextrous, but left handed with baseball throws. I used to play pitcher, and have a decent arm with a baseball. However, when throwing disc backhand, I throw righthanded. I can't throw backhand WHATSOEVER with my left hand. I reasonably good power with this for a beginner (I'm usually about 10'-15' behind my roommate). However, my flick/tomahawk/thumber in my right hand is significantly worse with my right hand than my left hand (I'm guessing this is due to baseball). What this is creating is a significant range of shots that can fade left, but a very weak shot that can fade left.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to increase the strength of my righthand flick, or any advice on what to do in general?

I dont know what to tell you other than, pick what you want to do and just do it repetitively and let yourself develope and improve. I would pick a hand and go from there, or you can just RHBH and LHFH and learn how to anny your discs, but again, I would prefer to also have the natural fade in the other direction available to me.

Nothing is going to make it quick or easy for you.

Thanks for the advice! And I'm not really looking for an easy out, I'm really juust looking to see if anyone else has had to deal with that, or if anyone suggests I switch to my right for greatest potential, or left, or keep it like it is.

And I have a decent anny, its just on a long hole it'll still go back in the woods haha :)

My son is the same way. But in order to excell you need to find oneside, one throw and commit to it to see any improvement. Otherwise you end up chasing the next best thing and never peferct your thing.

Focus on your technique. Video recording yourself and comparing it to the top pros is the best way to figure out how to improve. You can post your video and have people critique it here. Improving your strength so to speak will not get you far without the technique.

Im somewhat ambidextrous, but I can't LHFH to save my life(my left wrist doesn't have the same flexibility), but I think I can get a decent LHBH. I did some pitching also with my RH, so my RHFH is pretty good and came naturally. My RHBH took a while to figure out, but its now my best drive.

I would say you could more easily pick up the forehand with your right hand than left handed back hand. This is coming from a guy who rarely throws forehand. I'm rarely throw forehand so I depend on under stable discs and anyzers to turn right. I'll occasionally throw over stable discs tommy to turn right and once in a while an backhand roller.

On a side note I have a buddy who is a drummer and ambidextrous. He broke his right, dominant arm and learned to play left handed while his right arm mended. Now he can kick butt with either hand!

dj, I have the same issue. I played baseball lefthanded and do most everything lefty. I don't know why I learned as a kid to throw a disc RHBH. I have done ok with the RHBH but I get more power at LHFH. I'm learning to putt and approach LHBH and am more accurate but only have a range of about 50'. Every time I try LHBH for distance I suck and give up. I think I need to stop looking for immediate results and focus on my LHBH for distance. It would be nice to be able to fade both ways.

I know a trick For you to throw lhbh. I'm naturally right handed but play lhbh, think about how you swing a baseball bat (this came to me recently btw) and it makes sense. Swinging a bat you naturally generate more torque(favorite word) with you forward arm. This trick helped me generate more spin for throwing the Epic, which I can only throw with my right hand. Use a 360 degree spin. Think like a discus throw but with only one total revolution upon release. I'll try to post a vid but I'm sure you can Youtube faster than I can load a vid. You will actually be facing backwards, spinning forwards for the release if thatmakes sense.