• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Slower Ballista Pro?

aphilso1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm debating making the switch away from Ballistas & Ballista Pros. While my best throws are with Ballistas & B Pros, there are also some rounds that all I do is alternate between early releasing and grip locking. It's maddening. If I would just suck with the discs all the time then I would KNOW I need to switch, but then I follow up terrible rounds with days that I crush 'em.

Anywho, I think the Speed 14 discs are just a tad too wide for me to consistently release day in and day out. I bag a Wraith and a couple CD3's for those tweener throws that require more than fairway driver distance but more accuracy than a max distance disc. Wraiths/CD3's go about 340' on golf lines for me (measured, not internet distance). Ballistas/Pros go 360'+ on good days, but on days where my release is inconsistent they're all over the place.

What I'm looking for is a max distance disc with similar stability to a Ballista Pro but with a slightly narrower rim. I know Destroyer is the obvious answer, but Destroyers always felt a little too deep for me to comfortably grip. Is the Raider a possible answer? Or maybe Shryke? Nuke?

I feel like I'm splitting hairs at this point, but there are holes I regularly play that I just can't get in the circle with a Wraith/CD3 but can with a well thrown Ballista/B Pro. So I'm searching for that purple unicorn of a disc -- something as long as a Speed 14 with decent stability but with a rim easier to release consistently. TIA.

That is quite the conundrum. Have you tried a Sword or Trespass? They might have a touch more turn to get you the similar distance.

I'm sure this disc exists but I can't think of it. I'd probably try the Prodigy D-series drivers, they feel a little smaller than Destros to me and there's probably some type of D1 or D2 that will fill the Ballista Pro slot. The Giant isn't a bad option either and I think the Boatman is underrated. But the Ballista Pro does a grab job of combining good stability with good glide still. Kind of does make it unicorny.

X2 is a 22mm wing (I believe) with a 11mm depth with the OS amount (generally) that the Bal-Pro has. But not quite the glide IMO.

D series is a little wider rim than Destros. X series is a little smaller, but also very thin discs.
If you wanted to stay Trilogy the one Raider I've thrown was very good.

I'm sure this disc exists but I can't think of it. I'd probably try the Prodigy D-series drivers, they feel a little smaller than Destros to me and there's probably some type of D1 or D2 that will fill the Ballista Pro slot. The Giant isn't a bad option either and I think the Boatman is underrated. But the Ballista Pro does a grab job of combining good stability with good glide still. Kind of does make it unicorny.

I was thinking Boatman as well but thought the Sword might go farther... not sure. That and a beat Giant could both work.

I was thinking Boatman as well but thought the Sword might go farther... not sure. That and a beat Giant could both work.

If he said regular Ballista then Sword all day, for sure. The difference between Pro and regular is like Eagle X and L. The BP is IME really good HSS and then depending on plastic either beefy enough for some flex shots (Opto) or straight to late fade Teebirdy (RGL). Some sort of Giant should work but it might take some trial and error. My beat RGL Giant is more understable than my beat Opto Ballista for example. I would guess a seasoned, domey VIP Giant for BP duty and a TP Giant for OG Ballista.

The Ballistas make the Giant look as aerodynamic as a VW bus though. They just cut through the air.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've never thrown any Prodigy discs, but I'll look into the D2 and X2. Any plastic types in particular?
Regarding Trespasses, I've actually got a couple already. They fly basically the same as my CD3's but with more lateral wriggle. Never thrown Swords or Giants but I've got a buddy that bags both. I'll see if he's got spares that I could chuck around for a bit.

And to clarify, it's definitely the Ballista Pro that I have the most grip consistency issues with and, as such, would like to audition potential replacements. Regular Ballistas are more comfortable in the hand and I get a more consistent release out of them. While both molds are super wide-rimmed, the Pro version is deeper and has a higher shoulder that combined with the rim width makes it tough to grip consistently. It amazes me that Paige B. crushes them so well since her hands appear tiny.

How do Giants compare to the other Speed 13 Trilogy molds? In particular: Sheriffs, Raiders, and Biofuzion Defenders?

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've never thrown any Prodigy discs, but I'll look into the D2 and X2. Any plastic types in particular?
Regarding Trespasses, I've actually got a couple already. They fly basically the same as my CD3's but with more lateral wriggle. Never thrown Swords or Giants but I've got a buddy that bags both. I'll see if he's got spares that I could chuck around for a bit.

And to clarify, it's definitely the Ballista Pro that I have the most grip consistency issues with and, as such, would like to audition potential replacements. Regular Ballistas are more comfortable in the hand and I get a more consistent release out of them. While both molds are super wide-rimmed, the Pro version is deeper and has a higher shoulder that combined with the rim width makes it tough to grip consistently. It amazes me that Paige B. crushes them so well since her hands appear tiny.
FWIW the RGL Bally Pro doesn't feel as big in my hand as my Opto Bally Pro does. Could just be in my head, I dunno.
How do Giants compare to the other Speed 13 Trilogy molds? In particular: Sheriffs, Raiders, and Biofuzion Defenders?
Can't help, sorry.

Sword isn't what you want then, they are very similar to the Trespass but typically on the less stable end.

Giant is much more stable than Trespass. Giant and Defender are pretty similar, if you look into Defenders then look at Bio, and consider that after a month or so of wear in they will pick up a bit of turn and not be completely beefy. They can start out very OS initially, but have good glide for being OS. I have always thrown the Defender better than the Giant for some reason but they are very similar. The Sheriff is much more US than either of these...think of it more like a speed 13 Trespass-ish stability with a bit more of a guaranteed late fade, whereas the Trespass will have a bit of a softer fade. Can fly slightly further for me on turned over shots that flex out, but also isn't as controllable IMO.

I haven't thrown a Ballista Pro so I really can't help other than that...

Last edited:
I have two Ballista Pros, one Opto and one GL, and the rim width measures the same or negligible wider than a Destroyer. BP's come in at .915" on my calipers, and several Star Destroyers measure ~.910", with some of them measuring all the way up to ~.920" at parts of their rims.

Trespass rims sure look to me like basically the same rim shape as a BP, but Wraith-width. Although, since the BP came out significantly later, I guess if anything it would be a stretched Trespass rim, rather than the other way around. The few Trespasses I have had also somehow seem faster than a Wraith with more distance potential, although like you said, sometimes they show a little more turn as well. Ever thrown a beat Bio Enforcer? One could potentially think of them as a "Trespass Pro"...

I was going to suggest the Trespass, also, and I see that it's been discussed already. It's a really good mold, and would only be a matter of finding the right plastic for your 'sweet spot'...

D2s absolutely bomb. Prodigy has some sweet plastic, too. 400 is their premium stuff, 400g is similar but with more grip, and 750 is indestructible. I believe they started making drivers in 750, but I may be mistaken. Can't go wrong with 400.

The Prodigy Ds probably have similar rim width, and are deeper then the trilogy drivers.

Trespass in lucid-x is what you are looking for. They are pricey though... Bio enforcers are still enforcers. Meaty. If you have <400'+ ft of power.

If you go regular trespass, look for lucid with dome.

Wow, a lot of votes for Trespass. I guess I'll dust them off and again do some head-to-head comparisons with the drivers in my bag. But last time I did that they were definitely shorter than my Ballista Pros, and clustered around my CD3s. I'm skeptical since my personal experience is that the Trespass is significantly shorter than B Pros, but I'll give them another shot. Always better to retry an owned mold rather than buying a new one.

Otherwise, I've at least got some suggestions to check out at the store next time I stop in. It's just such an odd situation to find myself in, where some days the Ballista Pro is the best flying disc in my bag and other days I can't get a comfortable grip or consistent release (the problem is exacerbated in the heat/humidity when I get sweaty paws). So it sounds like I'll just have to feel up the D2, X2, Giant, Bio Defender, and Raider and see which one(s) feel like I can really dig into.

There are a few Gold Line Ballista Pros out there, if you think that maybe the Opto plastic might have something to do with your grip issues.

There are a few Gold Line Ballista Pros out there, if you think that maybe the Opto plastic might have something to do with your grip issues.

I've got a Recycled Ballista Pro too which gives me the same issues of inconsistent release. I don't think it's the plastic type that's causing problems, I think it's more that the combo of rim width and depth is too much for me to consistently grip well. I probably would've pulled the plug sooner, but I figured that if Paige Bjerkaas can get a nice consistent release with her tiny hands then I should be able to also. :\

I think the Ballista Pro is too much disc for 360' max power. At that distance you aren't going to really turn it or see it flex out for big yardage.

You might try a Trespass or something like that. You should see a little turn out of them.

Latest posts