• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Recommend a distance driver!

GladeScentedMandle

Bogey Member
Hello! Need some distance driver recommendations. I have started turning my Star Archons over too much on full power shots and would like something more forgiving. For reference I am throwing my Legacy Rivals (7,5,0,2) about 350-380 consistently with "perfect" throws reaching 400'. I have a max weight Prodigy D2 I found on a course that only gets out around 400' so still too much disc for me. Is the obvious answer a Wraith or naw, because I have read that some runs are pretty dang beefy?

If you're getting 350-380 consistently with a Rival, Wraiths are going to be totally fine for you. With Wraiths, there's a decent amount of variation, but a stock run Star Wraith, mid-low 170s with moderate dome should fly well for you. If you want to stay within the Innova/Legacy line up, Outlaws or Destroyers are also good options, but again, there's a decent amount of variation. Graces from Latitude are also excellent discs if you don't mind paying a little premium. Other discs in that relative speed class to check out could be the Photon, Zeus, Enigma, Paradigm, Animus, Emperor.

All that being said, you could disc down a speed and check out some amazing control drivers on the market. I find that they go just as far, but offer a little more control. I'm thinking of discs like the Orc, Construct, Vulture, PD, Thunderbird, Dynasty. Archon's I've heard can get a little squirelly, but looking for other straight to overstable options in the same speed class might be the way to go. Not to get caught up on flight numbers, but I'd check out some 9 or 10/5/-1 or 0/2 type discs like the ones listed above (I know the Orc, Vulture, PD, Thunderbird are all more OS than what I listed, for numbers, but there's a good amount of variation in flights).

Right now the below are the most popular/recent releases for the 11 speed stable segment of the flight chart. With your distance all of these should fly true to the numbers.
  • Innova Wraith
  • Lat64 Grace
  • Discmania DD1
  • MVP Zenith

Beefy Wraiths are pretty rare and recent stock Champion and Star plastic from Innova has been less stiff/rigid so not as OS generally. Some of the Halo releases have been OS if that is where you want to start.

You are getting to the point that you should be able to unlock the distance potential of a lot of 11/12 speeds. Wraiths are great but lost of variety and I won't suggest innova...

Encroaching 400' with a fairway is when carrying 7, 10, 12/13 speed class discs really starts to make sense. Like said above (probably better than I could have) you can probably start leaning on 9/10 speed discs for a lot of stuff and pull out the big boy drivers when you really need to. Chameleon is my choice but I also love PDs, CD2 (or CD1 these days), Vultures/Anax, or one of the most under rated discs the Orion LF. I used to throw OLF for my distance drivers and carried a Nuke (back when nukes were a little flippier) for all out open feild bombs.

Regarding options I will also add:

Gateway G-one, good step up from the archon and lots of distance potential.

Hurricane, the tour series are pretty beefy unless you go back to the Shasta ones. A good SP or PL will fly like a stable wraith/broken in destroyer.

Ballista Pro or Rive, not all of them are as beefy as can be, some are actually quite wraith like in flight just faster.

Maybe my favorite choice for you: The Trespass. Pick up a Fusion, Opto and Opto-X and you will have three stabilities, probably kick your archons after a short bit and give you good easy distance. They pair well with a faster stable/os driver for wind and skips. The Lucid X is stable enough to really be a workhorse distance driver.

If you want a botique brand trespass the Longhorn is pretty awesome and I got pretty similar results with my 2nd run sublime (I think that was the run) being quite like a trespass X, maybe a touch more turn.

Star Wraith. I have them in a range of weights, and colors. The red ones I have are the beefiest for sure. Alternately, try and give the Archon some more height, and room for it to be an Archon.

Lots of possible suggestions for distance drivers. It all depends how fast a driver you really want. I've seen Vulture and Anax mentioned here already. Those are both really good drivers that are just long/fast enough to bridge the gap between fairway and distance use. Neither the Vulture or Anax will turn, but they'll hold a straight flight for a long time. Both are easily capable of 400'+ shots.

If you want to go a little faster you could look at stuff like a Destroyer, Enigma, Corvette, Ballista Pro, or Nuke. I'll also add the (previously mentioned) Trespass if you want a slightly less stable option. Trespasses will turn fairly easily, but generally aren't super flippy.

If you're dead set on 11 speeds, a Wraith is the obvious choice if an Archon is too flippy. Wraiths definitely aren't the longest drivers on the market, but they're still long enough to cover driving needs on almost any hole.

All that being said, you could disc down a speed and check out some amazing control drivers on the market. I find that they go just as far, but offer a little more control. I'm thinking of discs like the Orc, Construct, Vulture, PD, Thunderbird, Dynasty.
Very interested in testing an Orc next to a Wraith. Does a Champ or Star Orc have more distance potential or does it just come down to preference?

Maybe my favorite choice for you: The Trespass. Pick up a Fusion, Opto and Opto-X and you will have three stabilities, probably kick your archons after a short bit and give you good easy distance. They pair well with a faster stable/os driver for wind and skips. The Lucid X is stable enough to really be a workhorse distance driver.
Definitely considering getting an x out from infinite :thmbup:

Very interested in testing an Orc next to a Wraith. Does a Champ or Star Orc have more distance potential or does it just come down to preference?
I'm no Orc expert, but I know that typically in molds like the Wraith, Destroyer, and Boss (the same flight numbers in speeds 11, 12, and 13 respectively), the champion counterparts are much less glidey and much more overstable generally. I'm not sure if Orcs would be the same, or if they're more like Thunderbirds, where it effects overstability much more than glide.

I've thrown my Constructs as far as my Graces and Ballista Pros, just depends on the line and how much control you have. Orc might be a smidge shorter than a Wraith, but in the speed 10-12 range, stability and confidence will have a larger effect on distance than the disc itself (IMO). Go with what feels confident, and don't get too caught up in flight numbers!

I think the Wraith is noticeably longer than an Orc. It also has better glide. It isn't a ton of speed difference, but you notice it when throwing the 2 side by side.

The Orc was Innova's most popular long driver until the Wraith came out and basically dethroned it overnight.

Orcs are really good for precision drives. They have a little bit of turn, but aren't flippy. Of the two I'd choose the Wraith.

I've bagged both (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) and for me it was easier to see some turn out of my Orcs. Could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective. I was throwing them and Wraiths up to around 420-450' at the time if I remember correctly.

At OP's distance they'd likely fly a touch shorter than Wraiths, but might shape certain lines better.

How does G star compare to pro? I am having trouble finding somewhere to order both pro and star wraiths.

imo if you were goin to try some innova drivers i would peep the pro shop for factory seconds (f2)

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/factory-second/

if you a certain amount (5 or 10 discs or something) they give you additional 10% off and free shipping after like $75 or something

they currently have g starr and star and pro and moar

for me gstarr was moar overstable than pro and gstarr is moar durable than pro

but star starts off as most overstable and holds that the longest

innova is all over the board however for quality control and flight characteristics but i placed a f2 pro shop order in the spring and all my wraiths were consistently overstable for star and gstarr and pro

they currently have g starr and star and pro and moar

for me gstarr was moar overstable than pro and gstarr is moar durable than pro

but star starts off as most overstable and holds that the longest
Thank you for the link! I got to throw my friends lightly used Star Wraith in the field earlier today/technically yesterday and my first throw with it was my furthest throw ever lol was about 440' according to Udisc/my measured pace. :thmbup: I am slightly annoyed I waited 5 years to go to a field to work exclusively on form.

Latest posts