• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Slower Midranges

I've got an Opto Pure coming in the mail. That's been suggested to me several times. But, like you, I try to keep the molds down. My Lucid Judge is great for neutral approaches and drives and for anything that needs more fade, the Suspect is perfect. I carry 4 Judges and 3 Suspects.

Not sure if I'll have a use for the Pure or not, especially since the Gatekeeper is rocking my world for slower midrange. I shot my 2nd best round ever today, partly because the Gatekeeper has been money off the tee. I just keep getting to the basket with relative ease. A Pure may just complicate things.

Judges are great do-it-all putters. Right now I carry a fresh Prime Judge for in the circle putts and a beat Judge for longer putts and turnover drives/approaches. I also will sometimes carry a Lucid-X Judge for driving, depending on the course. My problem is that I *love* throwing putters, so it is really hard for me to just carry one main putter mold. I approach with a Berg because it is the shortest/slowest straight-to-fade disc I've ever thrown, so it ranges incredibly well. That eats into Judge duties. And as I've mentioned before, Envies and Proxies are incredible throwing putters...right now I'm bagging a Proxy as my main driving putter, especially in the woods. So the Proxy steals some Judge throws, too.

I do think you will end up finding a use for the Pure. Nothing against the Gatekeeper, but naturally dead straight discs are a thing of beauty, so the Pure should find a home in your bag.

I do think you will end up finding a use for the Pure. Nothing against the Gatekeeper, but naturally dead straight discs are a thing of beauty, so the Pure should find a home in your bag.

I threw the Pure today and it is definitely a dead straight disc that feels good in the hand. However, my beat-up Classic Judge also flies dead straight. My Lucid Judge flies perfectly neutral with a small, predictable fade right at the end. They can both handle a little more power than the Pure as well. I also use Classic Judges as my putting putters so it's nice to have the exact same feel on all of them, whether I'm putting, approaching, or driving. Not sure I need another mold to mess with.

That being said, the Pure does go a bit farther.

I think I'm more into cutting down on molds than finding a use for the Pure. Nothing against it - it's a great disc. But I don't really have any issues with my Suspects and Judges. They cover everything I need.

And the Gatekeeper just keeps getting better. My midrange core is shaping up to be a Verdict for OS duty, a VIP-X Glimmer Gatekeeper for light wind and line shaping, a Tourney Gatekeeper for dead straight with predictable fade, and a Fuse for US duty and finesse shots.

The Gatekeeper is a really good disc. Highly underrated, like most Westside stuff.

A lot of good suggestions already. I'd like to echo the recommendations for you to test out some modern throwing putters, due to your preferences for:

a) relatively flat, shallow discs with small or no bead
b) slower molds that are easier to get up to speed

These two preferences are basically contradictory, since making a disc flatter and shallower will also make it faster. So to drop the disc back down in speed, you need to introduce another variable...which likely means shrinking the diameter a bit.

So what do you get if you take a modern, sleek throwing mid and shrink the diameter? Someone who knows more about physics can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the answer is that you now have a modern, sleek throwing putter.

I'd start with trying out the Envy and Proxy. They are basically the gold standard when it comes to driving putters, as both can handle more wind and torque than you'd expect from a putter and they go very far. They also seem to like being thrown on a slightly lower line than most putters, just like mids do. They really aren't the floaty/glidey discs that most people think of when they think of putters. If those don't work out for you, Innova's Stud and Colt combo is also very good, as well as the Westside Maiden and Lat64 Pure.

Lastly, I'd recommend dusting off that old Meteor you mentioned. Don't underestimate the value of understable discs on days where you're struggling to get discs up to speed. Understable molds can be lazers if underpowered.

Yes but some slow midrange like the ROC and similar slower speed 4 midrange in that shape if made small diameter are not a putter due to how low profile the mold is. Then the Speed 4 Rat, the closest mold to a Zone that Innova makes is basically an approach putter disc with a smaller putter like profile.

I do have a speed 5 fairway disc, Archer from Discraft in Z so I use that for a underpowered midrange if I am struggling to get my Shark 3 for true midrange shots or my Shark for approach shots, both discs in my mind are the same speed just the Shark has that putter float so I can use the mold for a driving putter as well as approach As I do to cut down on
a few molds using in Star (with backup discs) and Pro (have a plan for an eventual replacement) both at ~175 grams for the Shark.

I wanted the Classic ROC, speed 3 putter/midrange disc that would be for both approach and driving putter, but they only make the mold in Star as a Pro, R-Pro, or DX would be nice for the beat to straight approach throw for tighter shot lines but it is not existing so... I got what I was using in 2000's when the Classic ROC became OOP a Shark for the short approach to short midrange shot only, I had a disc still in bag for uphill/downhill putts that I used for driving putter.

The Theory would have been a good slower Fuse recommendation but it's OOPed for some reason. The Alias was also OOP I think and it was also a slower, more traditional midrange (would be in the same convo with the Compass and Gatekeeper).

The Pine and Bard are both underrated mids too. Bard has a bead but is fairly flattish, good OS mid. The Qms is always a great choice. The Coyote is a good neutral mid that's been resurrected by Infinite Discs I think (Anubis?).

The Alais was a very good disc, but it should be listed as either an approach disc or a putter; in no way did it feel like a slow mid. I may have to buy some backups of the Alais as it is still the best 1 disc round disc I have tried(at least for technical courses).

I may have to put it back in my bag for some nostalgia, even though I no longer bag it(too much overlap with my other putters)

DGU released my Pro Classic Roc last week.
It sold out immediately but the restock is only a week or two away. If I hear any more info before they are released, I'll update the Classic Roc thread.

I am now kind of set in my Approach setup, having used it for about 5 years. If those discs have the dome the Star Classic Roc Does, that average DX Shark type of Dome, I might look into the mold for an approach putter in Star and Pro/Stiff R-Pro.

Last edited:
A D-Line MD is about the sexiest slow-flying mid there is for me. It flies more or less like a Roc but without a bead and very minimal dome. I can flip em, throw em straight, or they'll hold a hyzer when thrown a little easier. I absolutely love mine.

I would also recommend an R-Pro Dart as kind of "baby mid" that is super easy to control, but they do have some dome to them. Envy, Proxy and Luna are all also excellent as others have pointed out.

Last edited:
A D-Line MD is about the sexiest slow-flying mid there is for me. It flies more or less like a Roc but without a bead and very minimal dome. I can flip em, throw em straight, or they'll hold a hyzer when thrown a little easier. I absolutely love mine.

I would also recommend an R-Pro Dart as kind of "baby mid" that is super easy to control, but they do have some dome to them. Envy, Proxy and Luna are all also excellent as others have pointed out.

Still think a dx Roc on a smooth pull is the sexiest there is. Philo might be smoother than anyone

https://youtu.be/UBdXu8kvoJM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone else mentioned a Ringer GT, I'd second that. Straight with reliable fade, doesn't dump as hard as a Zone, and it feels good for my fan grip.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the 4 pages of suggestions, but I've been messing with the Aurora MF lately and it seems like exactly what you are after. No bead, and if recently got the innova "3" treatment so it's super flat. Also, Millennium base plastic feels amazing and I have a budding love affair with the simplicity of the whole millennium lineup

Comet has to be the best answer to this. I'm sure it's been mentioned dozens of times here, but it's the slowest, furthest, straightest disc you can buy.

I don't currently bag one, but the Sol feels super nice to me. When I wasn't really throwing putters, my Z Sol was one of my workhorses.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the 4 pages of suggestions, but I've been messing with the Aurora MF lately and it seems like exactly what you are after.

I am guessing you meant to say Aurora MS. The MF has been discontinued for quite some time. Aurora MS is a very straight disc. You can manipulate it to do just about any flight. The only thing it does not handle well is wind.

Some of the Prodigy A discs have a speed of 4... I really like the A4... glides well and has a speed of 4. It does have a bit of a bead.

I have been carrying and using the Z SOL since last December. It is a great disc to maintain a straight flight with just a little turn. I use mine multiple times every round.

I am guessing you meant to say Aurora MS. The MF has been discontinued for quite some time. Aurora MS is a very straight disc. You can manipulate it to do just about any flight. The only thing it does not handle well is wind.

Yep, Aurora MS. Very workable mid. My fresh MS actually holds up ok in a moderate headwind as long as I release it clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk