• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Small diameter midrange

ilmcgee

* Ace Member *
Why are there so few small diameter midranges? Does this trend of midranges being larger diameter go back to the beginning of disc golf? The most popular mids are large diameter, so do companies follow suit hoping for the same feel with new molds? What is the most popular small diameter mid?

Anybody else notice how much midranges standout in their bag because of the size difference?

I throw the Cro and absolutely love the small diameter and slim profile for controlled shots. The disc is HSS but has less glide than my MD3's. I am not sure if is because of the diameter or the slim profile (or combination of both). I find myself reaching for the Cro on any tight or wooded shots and the MD3 when I have more room to play with.

Why are there so few small diameter midranges? Does this trend of midranges being larger diameter go back to the beginning of disc golf? The most popular mids are large diameter, so do companies follow suit hoping for the same feel with new molds? What is the most popular small diameter mid?

Anybody else notice how much midranges standout in their bag because of the size difference?

Wide diameter mids go farther.
Probably.
Probably.
Suspect, maybe Classic Roc...not many are popular.
Yes, it's pretty noticeable.

If my recollection is correct, it isn't that midrange discs went large, it's that all other discs went small. Back in the day, twenty years ago or so, the first high powered drivers were large diameter, like today's midranges. See Millennium's large diameter disc, the Tachyon for example. The comments I recall were that they were slow and not that long. When the small diameter drivers came out, they were so fast that they literally drove the sport away from large diameter drivers.

Whether or not that slow, stately, and easily controlled midrange has advantages over a smaller diameter midrange is a good question. The Roc and Buzz have such cache in the sport that we may never know. I've not used the small diameter midrange discs, but I do use some of the putters that look more like midranges, Breaker, Colt, etc. and I like them a lot for upshots. They are not as long as the midranges out there, in my hands. One thing that is clear, those mids and the putters that are like mids have very little glide in my hands, no matter what their ratings say. To get them long, I have to go high, higher than a driver. I can throw a destroyer at six to eight feet off the ground and still get 320 to 350 feet. A large diameter mid might get me 200, and the mid-putter maybe 100. Do the small diameter mids get more distance on lower flight paths? For perspective, with a low flying driver, I get 80% of my distance, a low flying large diameter mid gives me 60% of my distance.

Of course, one must remember that a high mid or putter will stay straight and land flat, whereas a high driver will always fade at the end.

The Gator is quite popular and is small diameter, as is the Cro.

I believe the Alias is small diameter too.

Typically the larger diameter has more glide, and this has been typical of that slot since the early days.

Roc, Buzzz, Stingray, Truth etc. all have kind of an old school idea of what makes a good mid, which is fairly stable, large diameter, a lot of glide.

Personally I like a smaller mid, they are easily manipulated and seem to stay stable a little longer, which leads them to being more predictable IMO.

I threw the Cro for ages and like it a lot, but the putter like rim was not my favorite to powergrip. The Yao/Cell that I throw now feels a ton like a smaller diameter Truth and flies like on for me. In the Tiger line plastic it has great glide and a predictable fade, which may actually be more aggressive than a Truth, kind of Roc like. In the higher end plastics they basically fly like champ Rocs, but have no bead which I prefer.

Spider was an awesome disc also, I would consider those to bag if you could find them anywhere.

Suspect you see some, but typically the Trillogy guys like the Truth or Bard.

Spider
Cro
Suspect
Panther
Gator

Probably a few more I can't think of right now

Cant believe the Hornet doesn't get more love. Great OS small diameter mid.

Another fun one is the Wings from Yikun. Too bad their base plastic is bunk so it beats up a little too fast.

Small diameter mids are a small market though, for whatever reason.

Cro all day. In fact, reading this makes me realize I should throw my orange cro in my winter bag. Been a while since I tossed it. Great disc.

My R-Pro Cro is my wind fighting mid.

On a related note:
Is there a matrix somewhere that shows discs sorted by diameter?

I think you an do that on in bounds.

There are lots of small diameter midranges if you change your perspective and think of small diameter mids as hybrids. You've got your putter/mid hybrids like Breaker, Zone, Classic Roc, etc. These typically have less glide which makes them feel like short mids. Then you've got your mid/driver hybrids like Squall, Panther, Skeeter, Kite, Kaxes, Dart, etc. Pointier, nose-sensitive mids that feel like short drivers.

I like the versatility of having smaller diameter mids and fast putters b/c I play predominately wooded courses. If I played more open courses I could get by with the traditional speed 4, wide diameter mid class of Rocs and Buzzzes. So I mostly throw a Nebula with the Evidence on trial as an understable complement, with a Breaker as my driving putter/short mid.

There are options out there. This is the Golden Age of midranges after all.

Lots of good stuff so far. I like the cro and spider, but they just don't have the glide the larger discs do. I was looking for a new mid to try and just don't see many options in a small diameter that is stable to os with good glide. Just seems funny the glide ratings on some putters and fairways, all small diameter, you just don't see that in mids. Guess that's where the question came from. Is it all about replicating the feel of a roc or buzzz?