• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Smoke the chains with a Roach

Question for the roach throwers. I absolutely love the the Luna for off the tee/ approach but can't stand how impossible/ expensive it is to obtain one. (Big Z/ TS) So I picked up a Big Z Roach because of availability and price. It feels the exact same as the Luna to me. (Is this the exact same mold?) However, taking it out to the field this weekend, it sure didn't throw the same as the Luna which surprised me. The Big Z Roach kept flipping on me in the littlest of wind where the Luna didn't. I really don't understand this when the discs feel the exact same. Is there a plastic the Roach comes in that is more stable? What about the Crystal and Crystal Flx Roach that are out there? Before I go out and spend more money on different plastics I figured I could get some good opinions here. Let me know what you have had experience with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very slight difference between the Luna and Roach, Roach is just slightly deeper.

Tons of Big Z Roaches out there now, easy to get for cheap, so do that and pass on the over-hyped premium plastic runs of Luna.

Roach is actually a better overall throwing putter in premium plastic than a Luna, the Roach is effective over a greater range, long and short shots, Luna does not power down as well.

Big Z Roaches are not terribly flippy, focus on wrist/release angle and follow thru on that slight hyzer release line.

Both are beadless, so not great for headwinds, etc.

Very slight difference between the Luna and Roach, Roach is just slightly deeper.

Tons of Big Z Roaches out there now, easy to get for cheap, so do that and pass on the over-hyped premium plastic runs of Luna.

Roach is actually a better overall throwing putter in premium plastic than a Luna, the Roach is effective over a greater range, long and short shots, Luna does not power down as well.

Big Z Roaches are not terribly flippy, focus on wrist/release angle and follow thru on that slight hyzer release line.

I guess that what I just need to do. Commit to the Roach and focus on working on how I throw it wrist/release because I love the way it feel and flies when thrown right. How are the Crystal flx ones. I see those for sale in several spots too and I love that plastic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have three max weight Big Z Roaches (with the roach smoking a roach stamp) and it is the definition of a stable disc. It will flip to flat if really powered up but it doesn't turn over and has good lss.

My friend, who throws with oat, complains to me that his roach is flippy. But it is not so.

So as a longish (relatively speaking), Luna putter/thrower, I bought a Bro-D Roach as a way to annoy a Brodie fan boi, who doesn't have one yet. I planned on putting it fir a round and then selling it to him at cost, but something weird happened: I hitting putts from almost everywhere with it. So for now I'm just going to use it since it seems to be working, as I can always switch back to my Lunas if it doesn't work out long term.

I started using it as a throwing putter too, and wow these bomb for being a putter. Threw it 300' off the tee on hyzer on one case, and threw it 260' standstill on another. Had a C1 eagle bid on a short but technical par 4, missed the putt of course. Overall I'm prety impressed by everything except the name.

The Ledgestone cryZtal flx glow roaches are sweet. Overstable flight, nice grip. The glow is nonexistent but the stamp is not annoying a la other Ledgestone discs.

The Ledgestone cryZtal flx glow roaches are sweet. Overstable flight, nice grip. The glow is nonexistent but the stamp is not annoying a la other Ledgestone discs.

I may have to check these out. I bought a regular Cryztal flx Roach from Sun King, I think, and it is absolute money as a throwing putter.

I've been putting with roaches for 3 years now and just recently started investing in some premium plastic for my driving putters. I used to throw a super beat in r pro rhyno. So far I've tried the JB roach, Big Z roach, and have a glo crystal flex in the mail. I love the feel of the Big Z in my hand but I've been having some trouble with them turning over on me. Do you guys all throw them with some hyzer? Remember I was throwing a beat in Rhyno I figured the big Z roach would fill the slot but I guess even a beat in Rhyno is still more stable, or perhaps I've developed some oat from years of throwing the Rhyno. That being said do you guys think I'll have better luck with the glo Crystal flx? Are they more stable than the Big Z? I know I'll have to find out on my own but I'm super pumped for the mail to come and just thought I'd ask to see what's in store for me.

So Got the Glo Crystal Flx Roach in the mail earlier than expected. Very happy to say it has filled the beat in r pro Rhyno slot. It's got the softness that the r pro has and the stability I was looking for as well. It's got a nice grip to it as well. IMO the Glo Crystal Flx is more stable than the Big Z. That being said I've ordered 4 more so I'll be set on those forever hopefully.

Anyone have an ESP Ledgestone Roach (the white ones)? I just want to know how much engraving is on the inner rim. Production Discraft will have two spots but I've seen some Ledgestone that have more.

Latest posts