• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snakes on the Disc Golf Course

Chaser0909

Par Member
Snakes are part of the game. We know that we are in their environment when we go out to play disc golf, and generally speaking they are probably do not harm 99.9% of us. As a general rule, snakes dont really bother me, and when I get a chance I take pictures of the ones I see. Today, I took a picture of the following, because we created a special bond.

You see, on hole 12 at Oak Meadow Disc Golf Course in Cypress, TX this guy calls the basket home. I was not aware of this of course, but in the tournament today, I landed about 20' away from the basket. As I approached my disc, and marked it, I then stepped back a few feet in order to make sure I was out of the way of the next guy that was going to putt. In the 15 or so seconds that it took for him to putt, and for me to take a step forward to get back to my disc, this snake came out of his hole, right in front of my foot. As he was not there before I marked my disc, and he was not there when I stepped back from my disc, I did not expect a 3.5 foot snake to be in my walking path when I went back up to my disc, so I was not looking down to notice that I was about to kick a large snake in the belly.

So I kicked him in the belly.

(S)He did not appreciate being kicked, and slithered off about 10 feet away, while sliding over my foot/boots at the same time. I hopped around a little bit in case it was going to strike at me (it didn't), and barely kept from screaming like a little girl. After the snake felt it was safe, it turned around and started watching me, while panting and puffing his face up to make himself look scary. I went back to my disc and threw a hasty putt (which I missed), grabbed my marker, and went to go make the tap in 4 in order to go on to the next hole. The rest of the card watched the snake, and said that it went back to where I was and went down a hole in order to hide from us.

It was crazy, and I do not remember a time when I tried to make a putt while sweating, and having my heart race, just waiting for a snake to eat me all at the same time. Good times on the course today.

Attachments

• Snake Chase Kicked.jpg
    Snake Chase Kicked.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 179
If I saw that while I was putting, it would have soon been joined by a Michigan Brown snake.

I generally don't mind snakes but I'm not crazy about surprise encounters with them such as the one in the OP. Same goes for spiders. I'm fine with them if I see them in advance but if I accidentally walk into a web not knowing where the owner is... :eek: :gross:

I am sick and tired of all these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday course!