• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snowbird disc golf locations? (60s+ temps in Jan-Mar)

WeatherWimp

Bogey Member
We are retired and thinking about maybe escaping our cold, blustery, snowy winter and renting a house somewhere for January through March. Naturally, I'd like it to be a place that has a lot of disc golf courses that are good.

• Any areas of the country have a vibrant disc golf scene?
  • Any thoughts on locations that would be affordable (in other words, Hawaii is out and I think Southern California is probably quite expensive too)?

Wondering if Texas someplace (big state) would be good. Arizona seems like an obvious choice weather-wise but Phoenix seem like such a big city. Perhaps Florida, but the one time we vacationed through the state it didn't seem to fit out lifestyle (expensive food for the most part).

How about the Carolinas?
Doesn't get too cold. Plenty of quality courses depending on where you decide to stay, and probs more within a couple hours drive.

I would think you should be able to find some spots in either state we're cost of living is pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
How about the Carolinas?
Doesn't get too cold. Plenty of quality courses depending on where you decide to stay, and probs more within a couple hours drive.

I would think you should be able to find some spots in either state we're cost of living is pretty reasonable.

Carolinas seem like more options for scenic/woods golf than Florida, Texass, and Arizona put together.

Florida had plenty of scenic courses, plenty of wooded courses, courses with holes on the beach, and even hills if you know where to look. Florida has destination areas now. The main problem will be how expensive Florida can be, even more so in the wintertime. If you are interested in FL the Tampa area, Ft Lauderdale and Lake County would be good places to start.

Carolinas was a place I hadn't considered, which is odd since we once thought about retiring there.

I spent the morning looking at rentals and it was surreal that the very first one I clicked on has a disc golf basket in the back yard. Looking at the January weather though (https://weatherspark.com/y/18893/Av...lotte-North-Carolina-United-States-Year-Round) the average high looks to be 51. While I actually think that is fine I'm pretty sure my wife would want a better chance of being in the 60s.

Thanks for the suggestoins so far though!

My wife grew up in Little Rock, AR and loved it there for all the year-round outdoor opportunities. I don't think I'd want to live somewhere as hot and humid as Arkansas in the summers, but for a snowbird location that might be worth a look.

Also, a lot of people around here like St George, UT in the winters.

We are retired and thinking about maybe escaping our cold, blustery, snowy winter and renting a house somewhere for January through March. Naturally, I'd like it to be a place that has a lot of disc golf courses that are good.

• Any areas of the country have a vibrant disc golf scene?
  • Any thoughts on locations that would be affordable (in other words, Hawaii is out and I think Southern California is probably quite expensive too)?

Wondering if Texas someplace (big state) would be good. Arizona seems like an obvious choice weather-wise but Phoenix seem like such a big city. Perhaps Florida, but the one time we vacationed through the state it didn't seem to fit out lifestyle (expensive food for the most part).

I have done some stuff in California, mid Cali coast to be precise, Lompoc and it is not as expensive in the area being that Vanderburg is nearby so they try not to overprice that place. Also Santa Barbra has some historic Disc Golf not too far away. There is a county park nobody knows about that has camping for Campers, Cabins, and a few Tent sites, Jalama Beach 12 miles off Highway 1. Where the best Burger in the area can be had at the restaurant Called Jalama Burgers featured one time in Guy Yes that Guy on Cooking channel his Dinners Dives And Drives. Place is really cool as is the most unique of the Missions something my Grandpa when we visited him in the town he lived in since he taught High School was always wanting to see the restoration of the place. Go during Mid to late February and the best. The other things are that Lompoc itself did not get a course until more recently but it plays more old school tight woods in parts with open park in others though made for more modern discs, just how some old Courses played. The L shaped course in San Luis Obispo was put in during early 1990's and still uses the same older second Generation single Chain Innova Discatcher Pro with the taller modern Cage, with Chains upgraded over the years. There might or might not be a Course at the hotel that was the Orginal Holiday Inn In Salines California. Oh If on the Docks at San Luis Obispo Eat at the Fat Cat that opens for lunch, if in town Find near the two Walls of Gum featured on Ripply's: Believe It Or Not, in 2000's on the same episode that Steady Ed's wife was featured dumping her husbands ashes into the plastic mix there is a Restaurant near the two gum walls that I do not know name of but is a tiny shack that has 7 LB Burritos that will last for lunch and dinner filling you up.

Last edited:
Carolinas was a place I hadn't considered, which is odd since we once thought about retiring there.

I spent the morning looking at rentals and it was surreal that the very first one I clicked on has a disc golf basket in the back yard. Looking at the January weather though (https://weatherspark.com/y/18893/Av...lotte-North-Carolina-United-States-Year-Round) the average high looks to be 51. While I actually think that is fine I'm pretty sure my wife would want a better chance of being in the 60s.

Thanks for the suggestoins so far though!

I'm in South Carolina. That January average will mean a string of days in the 40s, then a string in the 60s. Sometimes, 70s. Spring starts arriving in mid-February, and is full-tilt by March.

You might also look at Augusta, GA, which would be a few degrees warmer, and has some really top-notch courses (though not as many as Charlotte).

Presumably, though, you'll be doing something besides disc golfing and watching the weather for 3 months. I'd imagine that would have a great bearing on where you go snowbirding.

Also, a lot of people around here like St George, UT in the winters.

Yikes! Maybe y'all from SLC think St George is warm, but any city that averages 1.5 inches of SNOWFALL every year, is discqualified from my discussion of mild winters.

Once upon a time I lived in Minnesota. I no longer have any desire to experience winter. My part of So Cal has an average of 4 days per year below 40 degrees. Chances are the highs on those days will still be in the mid 60's. There is usually a frost/freeze warning every couple of years. I no longer own a winter coat. If it gets really cold (brr 38 degrees) I will wear two hoodies instead of one. :hfive:

I have done some stuff in California, mid Cali coast to be precise, Lompoc and it is not as expensive in the area being that Vanderburg is nearby so they try not to overprice that place. Also Santa Barbra has some historic Disc Golf not too far away. There is a county park nobody knows about that has camping for Campers, Cabins, and a few Tent sites, Jalama Beach 12 miles off Highway 1. Where the best Burger in the area can be had at the restaurant Called Jalama Burgers featured one time in Guy Yes that Guy on Cooking channel his Dinners Dives And Drives. Place is really cool as is the most unique of the Missions something my Grandpa when we visited him in the town he lived in since he taught High School was always wanting to see the restoration of the place. Go during Mid to late February and the best. The other things are that Lompoc itself did not get a course until more recently but it plays more old school tight woods in parts with open park in others though made for more modern discs, just how some old Courses played. The L shaped course in San Luis Obispo was put in during early 1990's and still uses the same older second Generation single Chain Innova Discatcher Pro with the taller modern Cage, with Chains upgraded over the years. There might or might not be a Course at the hotel that was the Orginal Holiday Inn In Salines California. Oh If on the Docks at San Luis Obispo Eat at the Fat Cat that opens for lunch, if in town Find near the two Walls of Gum featured on Ripply's: Believe It Or Not, in 2000's on the same episode that Steady Ed's wife was featured dumping her husbands ashes into the plastic mix there is a Restaurant near the two gum walls that I do not know name of but is a tiny shack that has 7 LB Burritos that will last for lunch and dinner filling you up.

Why Mid to late Feburary? The Wildflowers will be in full bloom as well the Mustered used by the missions will be in full bloom.

The Augusta and Atlanta area does have some of the best disc golf courses close by and have plenty of other activities. I have been up there in the Wintertime though, and it has been quite Winterly. We have very few Winter days South of Orlando to almost none by the time you make it to Miami. Inland urban areas such as Gainesville and Ocala have some pretty good courses now and would be more economical than the larger coastal cities but close enough to day trip to them.

The Augusta and Atlanta area does have some of the best disc golf courses close by and have plenty of other activities. I have been up there in the Wintertime though, and it has been quite Winterly. We have very few Winter days South of Orlando to almost none by the time you make it to Miami. Inland urban areas such as Gainesville and Ocala have some pretty good courses now and would be more economical than the larger coastal cities but close enough to day trip to them.

I hadn't thought about Augusta or Atlanta. Weatherspark does show them potentially being a bit on the cold side, but may still look at that area...isn't the PDGA near there with a couple of courses? I'll have to google it.

I'll look at inland Florida too, the coasts though were pretty pricey.

I hadn't thought about Augusta or Atlanta. Weatherspark does show them potentially being a bit on the cold side, but may still look at that area...isn't the PDGA near there with a couple of courses? I'll have to google it.

I'll look at inland Florida too, the coasts though were pretty pricey.

Yes, PDGA with three awesome (if somewhat long and hard) disc golf courses is near Augusta. Atlanta gets you Hobbs Farm and Canopy Tours. Both have several other good courses nearby. Langly Pond comes to mind, although spectacular it is a long walk around with big elevation changes.

Atlanta has some wonderful DG.
My gut tells me it's a bit pricier than the Carolinas, but you might find some decent deal.

But... if that region is too cold in the winter, I got nothing for you. Cold is relative. I'm more than happy playing in the 40's.

Atlanta has some wonderful DG.
My gut tells me it's a bit pricier than the Carolinas, but you might find some decent deal.

But... if that region is too cold in the winter, I got nothing for you. Cold is relative. I'm more than happy playing in the 40's.

I'm good in 40s too, anything above 60s and it is too hot for me, lol. My wife on the other hand is always cold. If we are going to pay the money for this I want her to be able to enjoy it too.

Austin fits a lot of the descriptions you've described. That region is called the hill country area. its not typical flat countryside like much of the rest of the state. There are tons of wineries west of Austin if your wife is in to that. plus there's even some neat German beer halls in a town called Fredericksburg. Take a look at San Marcos and New Braunfels between Austin and San Antonio. A little bit better on the wallet than the two big towns and lots of establishing senior communities.

Take a look at San Marcos and New Braunfels between Austin and San Antonio. A little bit better on the wallet than the two big towns and lots of establishing senior communities.

Hey thanks! I've been looking at places in these two towns and agree they are better priced than Austin and San Antonio. Good leads.

Latest posts