• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Played my worst rated round in almost 2 years. It was raining steadily and I played incredibly consistent, 15° to the right of my line bh or left fh and 10° more anhyzer on every throw.

I had a stack of towels and some chalk, first time I use that in rain and maybe the last; it felt like my hands had superglue on them and every single throw stuck to my hands.

Played my worst rated round in almost 2 years. It was raining steadily and I played incredibly consistent, 15° to the right of my line bh or left fh and 10° more anhyzer on every throw.

I had a stack of towels and some chalk, first time I use that in rain and maybe the last; it felt like my hands had superglue on them and every single throw stuck to my hands.

One of the few things I don't like about this sport is having to play real tournaments in rain. I understand why the show must go on when it does, but man, does it suck.

Played yesterday at my usual course. It was a bit windy and that had a small affect on my game. For most holes, I left myself in a spot to make par and then "just" missed the putt. That's actually an improvement as I changed my putting style and have been making putts from a longer distance (outside 15 feet). My misses were just a bit off (a bit high, a bit low, or a bit left). While my score didn't show it, I did feel I played better. I had 5 double bogies and one really bad hole (3 over par). The really bad hole was due to two issues: first the basket was in a longer position where I wasn't used to throwing to, and, second, I made a poor decision off the tee pad - but I always do. About 50 feet in front of the tee pad is a double mando, then about 10 feet after that is a single mando that you have to go under. The drop zone for both sets of mandos is a tee pad between the double mando. If I was smart and played smart, I would lay up near the drop zone tee pad. But I have made the mando before (rare, but I have done it) and I 'should' be able to make it every time....but I don't. My common miss is to the left and I end up taking a stroke and going to the drop zone. If I could just convince myself to play smart and lay up, I would easily save a stroke.

I saw a recent Robbie C YT video were he talks about deciding if a shot is Greedy or Needy. I meant to use that thought practice for my round, but forgot. Looking back over the scorecard at the end and my scores; many times I was Greedy on my shots.

I won't be able to play until next week, but I hope to remember the 'Greedy or Needy' idea and put it to use.

Oh yeah, I had one par and 12 bogies. But, for me, the 12 bogies were impressive because each time I was in a place to make par....I just missed the upshot or the putt. For example, one hole I had a really good drive and was in a good spot to lay up and take my 3. But on my short approach shot, I got the bottom of the disc exposed to the wind and the disc carried a bit more than I planned for, leaving me outside my putting 'comfort zone'. Hit the tray and took a bogie. The opportunity was there, I just didn't collect on it. In the past, I rarely felt I had the opportunity for a par. So it is an improvement.

Not just today but the whole week I am getting some crazy power loading my back foot. I'm almost stepping back but in place. Traded my slow walk up x step (arm timer) for the sideways Elvis shuffle.... I can time my arm fairly effectively with the side / back step, I will probably need to do some consulting to see if this is the right idea or not haha. Anyhow thanks swivel stairs, double dragon and all the other drills that suddenly "make sense".

Connecting a lot more often and today I connected accidentally with my putter and made a horrendous misthrow at 125' that missed the pin by 2' wide and flew 50' long over a slight hill for a shameful bogey to the amusement of my card mates. I was equally amused but for a totally different reason :D 175' with 1/2 power is crazy clean distance for me

Last edited:
I went to our local wooded pitch and putt. Was hoping to get a Glitch only round in, but the pro shop was out of Glitches and MVP told them they were out of stock. I shot a Zephyr round and had fun in the rain. Didn't keep score, just threw.

When the wind is blowing 15-25 mph and gusty, Munden Point starts calling my name. Spent time throwing newer multiple discs off of a handful of tees with different wind angles. Happy with Plasma Zenith, Plasma Photon, and a Halo Mamba. The Zenith takes off in all wind directions, and the Halo surprised me as a good all wind disc as well. Have some work to do with a Plasma Mayhem.

Had a Simon Lizotte moment when I decided to take advantage of a cross wind with a G-Star Corvette. The wind took hold of the disc cross fairway into thick trees about 60 feet in height, the disc kept rising a little more than halfway up which is rare for me. It was fun to watch and thought it was lost, but it plenko back down to the fairway. Some fun wind rounds today.

Went out at lunch with two co-workers, zero wind so I made sure I was on point. Ignoring a self-imposed mando on a short hole; throwing a Leopard on a 244' uphill hole *just to make sure I parked it*. Total tryharding.

Putted great and finished 3 down with a bogey. Co-workers were impressed so mission accomplished.

Played yesterday at my 'go to' course. Did as well as I normally do, but the difference was that I focused more on tracking what went right and what went wrong. I still struggle on the same holes as I always do and I'm working on that, but it's a work in progress. My putting has really improved, so that leaves the issue of not hitting my line and having to scramble. Fieldwork is great, but it is done in an open field, throwing straight. On the course, there are trees and bushes...and fairways that curve - lots more opportunities to mess up, and I do mess up.

My number 1 issue is missing my intended line. Once I fix that I'll be 'golden'.

Played Bayville in Virginia Beach this morning. No wind in the first round, not even a breeze, pretty sure the first time in about six-seven months. The wind started picking up a little in the second round. Gave me a chance to evaluate the change in my putting grip, and distance off of the tee. However, early next week 15-25 mph wind returns, I'll be back down to Munden Point.

The exciting news, this is the year I transition from x-step to 3-step, had enough time to stop at the practice field to complete the month of April with 8 and 9-speeds, and was overall pleased. Decided my next practice session will be with 11-speeds 3-step, hopefully Saturday. I have enough 11-speeds where this might take 6-8 weeks and looking forward to developing the extra distance, which is likely to take thru the fall. Hard to believe this all started with Putter Standstills in December 2020, a few delays with non-disc golf discomfort. My foot issue seems to be behind me, except I still wear a cushion, and I feel like I'm back in my grove again.

Last edited:
Wet & rainy. Was working on X-hop again. Decided to mess around with more flippy discs and shape lines. These things did not interact well as everything was soaked through by hole 9.

Early releases/slipping out left (RHBH) were abundant. Learned a lot about modifying grip in bad conditions to convert swing force. Deeper & firmer rear-loaded grip was helpful to hang on long enough to commit shots.

We played a course with tons of low ceiling shots so it forced me to convert what I've been learning during so much time throwing putters into low-line shot shaping with fairway drivers. Friend made some good observations about my lines and disc choices. Finally got par on the hardest Par 5 on the course - nasty uphill winding hole with tons of brush and skinny gaps. Despite the rain it was a lot of fun and I decided to get to that course more often to keep learning!

Last edited:
Been dealing with some kind of stupid shoulder injury for a minute now... few weeks... forehand is totally on hiatus... Decided to play at our shortest local course to see how it felt to throw backhand. Showed up for league and found out it was "putter only" (defined as: 3 speed or slower).

Managed to shoot a -15, woulda been about -13 solo, based on all my drives and assuming I only made 2 out of 3 on the 18-24 foot putts my partner made that I didn't get to take (I drilled 3 putts from 30-45, missed 1 from 35, zero missed C1).

Highlights
-Got to within 20 on a 340' with a slight headwind running left-to-right, Fuzion Judge.
-Got to C1 edge on a 410' with a slight tailwind running right-to-left, Fuzion Warden.
Both of the above were lines that required a pretty pure hyzer release, the Warden came up most of the way level, the Judge got to fully flat but no run to the right.

Interestingly - the shoulder actually hurt only on a few early shorter throws. Likely due to timing being a little off while I was warming up leading to some slightly less-than-perfectly-smooth motions.

Shoulder injury is one of those disc golf injuries that didn't have to be a disc golf injury. A month ago I had a day where I sat around and didn't drink water all day. Not one drop. And then in the evening randomly just decided to get in an extra shoulder workout. Did a heavy time-under-tension based workout, and the next day was painful. So what did I do?

I used my forehand 3 times in the next week. Felt awful the next day (timing was a wreck trying to compensate for soreness). Felt okay but sore 3 days after the workout (even put one to C1 on a R-to-L cross-headwind at 420 ft). And then a week after the workout I really tried to open up with it and it has been death ever since (especially thanks to a particularly overhand-ish throw). The left shoulder, which felt just as bad in the days immediately following the workout is COMPLETELY good now. The right shoulder though? **** I'm stupid.

I can't help myself sometimes.

But it IS coming along. I'm now 3 weeks out from my last forehand and I'm able to do overhead press with light weight. Doing dumbbell and band work with a lot of different motions, trying to focus on range-of-motion and slowly bringing back resistance. I might play another league tomorrow all backhand. But I won't be throwing any forehand for... maybe another month, just to be on the safe side. I think I'll be *wanting* to within a few weeks, but I guess now that I know how I got here I'll be careful.

For reference: the pain is on the external middle area of the shoulder, more down in the meat of the muscle. An exercise that is causing particular pain is a dip: I can't even get down to 5 degrees into a dip without excruciating pain.

I played my first tournament in FPO this weekend (The Birdie Launch, the first event of this year's Michigan Women's Series), and did....pretty mediocre, overall.

First round I was tied for 2nd with some pretty good competition until the 7th hole on Stony Creek Green. After exploring the woods like a sylvan elf, I finished that hole with a 6, and followed it up with a 5 the next hole, after testing what happens when you putt at the one missing chain on an otherwise normal basket. After that, I was just trying to stop the bleeding - and I didn't do the best job of it. Finished the round +9, 7 strokes behind the leader.

Second round the rain had stopped, the temperature had warmed up, and I managed to shoot clean golf (with some of the best putting I've done in a minute). Got my first ever par on hole 8 on the blue course, even after an atrocious first drive (and having to shoot out a tiny window to even get to the fairway, and shanking that as well - all glory to long distance Comet approaches for the par save!). I managed to climb from near last place, to a tie for last cash (6th), just by keeping from playing bogey golf (3 bogies, as opposed to 6 bogies an 2 doubles the first round).

All in all, I'm happy with how I redeemed myself after the first round, and pretty pleased with my putting consistency and confidence. Turned down the cash, so I can still play the Michigan Amateur State Championship this September, but I enjoyed the challenge of the FPO field enough that I'll probably switch full-time next year.

Another round over my rating even though it was actually kinda trash. Unnecessary OB everywhere bit me repeatedly. (or I didn't throw it good enough to avoid the OB) Should have been a lot better.

Tomorrow is another round and hopefully I get it right this time.

Update: I didn't get it right. Last by 12 and 2 shots worse today. But by rating only 1 point worse?

Just feels like I can throw good shots half the time but the bad ones snowball and I'm 23 over for a round. :\

Putting and upshots, OK. Drives 50/50. Feel like I'm starting this season in a better place than last. I'm reading the wind better. Made the three water carry shots.