• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Played well this weekend. Followed up my best tourney round ever (994) with a 984/944 on Saturday. Thought I was going to get to do a playoff for the win in MA1, but the hot round the second round was on the chase card and he beat us by 1.

Had a stretch of 3 holes in the second round where I was losing it mentally; went 4, 4, 5 on 3 pretty easy holes, but I pulled out of it. We added up scores with 3 holes left and I was down 1. Dueced the last 2 to force the tie - 35 footer, then parked a 285' tunnel. It was cool to play those holes so well under pressure.

Shot my highest-rated round ever yesterday, a 55 at our work tag league at Englewood. It rated a 924 on DGCR. This is one of those rare cases where DGCR's ratings are actually a tick lower than the PDGA's, as a 55 was rated a 936 at the B-tier held there a month ago.

I had a fun day playing Hot Shots today. Went for a solo casual game and ended up throwing about 15 of the holes with some other guy and his pup. My drives werent the best but I had some great approaches and felt some definite improvement in my putting. Ive been trying to get the hang of forehand for a while and managed to get off a few good ones which felt good.

Its amazing how much better I play when Im relaxed and enjoying myself. Overthinking and getting tilted over mistakes leads to a bad day every time.

I've had a couple of hot rounds 2 days in a row. Been playing at the local technical wooded course (pioneer trail park), and have had my best 2 rounds there ever on consecutive days. My previous personal best was par (I've been under par going into the final stretch on multiple occasions, but the pressure of wanting to finish under par has killed me, and I find lots of ways to finish even). Course record is -6. On Monday I had one of those rounds where everything went my way. Hit metal from the tee on hole #1, had multiple lucky tree kicks, barely got through some tight gaps I was trying to fit through and some got through some gaps I wasn't aiming for. I finished with 7 birdies, but 2 bogies and a double bogey left me at -3 for the round. Double bogey was a killer.

Then last night I went back out there and had almost the opposite experience but with a similar end result. Kicks were not going my way, I was just barely clipping the edge of narrow gaps, bad roll aways, etc., BUT I only threw 2 bogeys to go along with 4 birdies and finished at -2. I'm actually more pleased with the -2 round than the -3 round because I was more consistent and had a good round due more to good shots rather than good luck.

My goal is to have a bogey free round at that course, and if I keep playing how I have the last few weeks it's only a matter of time before I achieve it. It feels good to throw good!

I've been in a slump for a week or so. Hitting trees, missing putts, shanking drives. I know I can play better, but it's pretty difficult at the moment. Thought about taking a few days off, see if that helps.

I usually play at the local course, which is a technical 19 holes in the woods with tight fairways. It's in Finland, so I'm not sure if it's on DGCR. It was originally 12, then they added 6 holes, then they removed one from the middle and added two at the end. I think the course record is -12 by Big Jerm, who came here to visit after the European Open and played a round. Before that it was -10. I could be wrong though.

Anyways, my PB on that course is +1, kinda make a few dumb mistakes every round so it could be better. But today, oh boy, I shot +17, seventeen. 5 pars, 8 bogeys, 5 doubles and a birdie. Most pars and bogeys were tap ins after I missed easy putts and a few doubles, where I hit a tree after a tree after a tree... Was close to acing the only hole I birdied, but it came up short.

All in all, the worst round I've ever had after I learned to throw putters and got proper form about one and a half years ago. Probably taking a day or two off to clear my head and practice my putting.

Played my usual random draw doubles league and got paired with a 997-rated MPO player. We finished first.

Rainy Days and Wednesdays Always get Me Down...

I played my first wet round in six months and my inexperience showed. A few decent holes, few less than good, and a few I wish I could have back again. :wall:

Had my best score ever (-7) at my local course, Searight. My putting was a bit off and I could have scored -11 if I hit everything under 30'. I'll take it though. I'll go for the -11 next time...

Shot 4 down today. About my average. Wasn't getting off the tee very well, but my putting was on point. Put a lot of pressure on my putting game to make those long 20-25' putts for pars and I nailed them! So that felt good, but I have to work on my tee accuracy, as the distance was decent. Fluffed a couple upshots too, so I will work on that.

942 rated first round today put me on lead card...then I fell apart round two going for hero shots instead of playing my game. First sanctioned tournament, I understand lead card pressure now (even if it is only MA2) and hopefully won't make absurd decisions next time around.

Shot -8 on the local private red level 19 hole course, bogey free too, beat my competitive friend by 5 strokes. Felt awesome especially since I've been in a rut for about the last month.

I played 27 holes yesterday in a casual manner with a field work flavor. I had some progress with my backhand drives but I'm super happy with how my forehand is coming along. I finally feel comfortable enough to use it for accurate approaches and even some drives! Also snagged a couple birdies on holes I've struggled making par on only a month ago.

I've also learned that I have a lot more fun and seem to throw better when I'm with someone else. When I play alone I'm more critical of my mistakes and it can show at times.

Finally made it to Kaposia is St. Paul. Didn't get a chance to play the whole course because I had a stroller, but what I played was awesome. Was a great challenge from the courses I usually play. I played alright, pretty tentative since I wasn't familiar with the layout. Played +6 which didn't feel too bad. I've been working on ways to improve without necessarily scoring better. My goal this round was to hit metal on every putt 40' and in, and I accomplished that. Hit a couple birdies late in the round, parked a 285' tunnel and followed it up hitting a 45' straddle putt around a tree. Felt like a solid round and sort of solidified my mental game, didn't let the bad shots get to me and managed to finish strong, which usually is hard for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 over par, on a par 55 course.

That might sound terrible, but a 59 is a REALLY good score for me. The only bad part is a tree-kick/roll-away on 18 made me lose 2 strokes. It could have been a 57, tying my best.

It would be really nice to par before the end of the year. (sigh)

Meh. After 6 rounds at Buckeye in 12 days, my arm is sore. I messed up several throws because of arm pain. Tonight's +11 was the best of the 6, but only by 1 for 3 of them. PB on Buckeye was a +7 in May, and playing every other day then didn't have my arm hurting. Playing little over the summer because of the heat seems to have hurt my form and my arm's endurance. :(

4 over par, on a par 55 course.

That might sound terrible, but a 59 is a REALLY good score for me. The only bad part is a tree-kick/roll-away on 18 made me lose 2 strokes. It could have been a 57, tying my best.

It would be really nice to par before the end of the year. (sigh)

Always next year, not to mention half the people who claim hella good scores fudge the rules here or there so if you legit shot +4 that's pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Quinntastic,

And, TODAY I shot 57, 2 over par. That ties my best which I've only managed once before. I shot essentially the exact same as I did yesterday, except my approach on hole 18 didn't take a brutal 80 foot roll down a steep hill like it did yesterday, so I parred instead of double bogey.

It's frustrating to be this close to making par. Worse, since we don't have many more days before there won't be enough sunlight to throw 18 holes on weekdays.

I switched to a pitch putt yesterday. Practicing in the yard, even with fairly strong wind, it was working very well. I kept going outside and tossing a few putts, starting at 20' and working out to 35'. Yup, still working.

I'm pretty stoked. I had a consistent, reasonably accurate push putt for the past 10 years, but lost the feel for that putt during an involuntary hiatus and have been struggling to regain a consistent putting stroke ever since.

Hope to test it out on the course tomorrow. Supposed to be windy Thursday, which should be a good test.

Latest posts