• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Some general inquiries...

First of all who wants the sport to grow? And in what terms? People are people and the more people you have enjoying the sport the more a-holes you have to deal with in my opinion. I tell people about it if they ask and if they're really interested I'll invite them along.

Noob or not I've seen some pretty lame vets out there as well.

Prime example: I was practicing for a tournament the night before and the sun was getting low. A group of three vets and there massive amount of crap they haul around (stools, umbrellas, and huge tourney bags the size of a GI laundry sack) skipped the hole we were on and jumped in front of us. It was hole number 13 of 18. One guy stood on the teepad while the rest of his group took their sweet time hauling their crap over there. I politely asked if he was going to throw and he said "yeah we're going to throw and we're only going to 15 so we'll be out of your way"

Hell of a guy, 10 minutes later, after all their junk finally got out of our way we were ready to throw. Had to wait around for there lolly gagging over the next 2 holes and barely finished up the 18 before the sun was down. I'm so glad they were only going to 15 though.

Funny thing about this was that these guys thought they were doing us a favor and were too dumb to even realize.

Here are the Rules (as given in the internetz):

1) Throw plastic.
2) Have fun.
3) Repeat as needed.

That said, pick good people to play with - the haters will leave if they're shunned enough.

I misunderstood alot of the ideas on this site when I first joined the forum. It's not that they are saying you have to use slow discs, or that you have to throw backhanded...
It's just that many of the players on here have been where you are at right right now and they are trying to direct you down the path of least resistance in developing all the skills you will need to become a good player. They are trying to pass on wisdom to you noob. That's about as helpful as any of us can be. Glad to hear you are loving the game and are hungry for more. The only other tip I can offer you is, as you start playing competatively, take it all in and don't quit. Some guys will drop out of a tournament(DNF(did not finish)) when they are playing like crap. I highly recomend you never do this. Hang in there and take it all in. The pain of that bad day will be a great motivator to you in the long run. I once took a double circle 8 and lost 2 discs on a hole. I felt incredibly angry and embarresed while it was happening. The guys I was with were strangers and were cool about it, but they didn't offer a helpful word. It was then that I learned that it was all about me and it doesn't matter how many strokes you are up or down, who you are playing with or against.... none of that matters...it's all about you and your game as you play the course. I use the pain of that day as motivation to this day, so I would recomend to you that no matter what, hang in there.

This. +1.

There's no wrong way to play disc golf, there's just a conventional, tried-and-true path that we harp on here and the unconventional. Fh for instance, is a shot most pros can do well but most pros are still BH dominant. There's probably a good reason for that.

While we're on the subject of n00bs, in about a month, I'll hit my one year anniversary. Can I stop calling myself a n00b then...please? :)

While we're on the subject of n00bs, in about a month, I'll hit my one year anniversary. Can I stop calling myself a n00b then...please? :)

not until you get past 'bogey member' status.

I used to threw BH for about 10 until my arm and body told me to stop.
I feel my game has improved a lot by throwing predominantly FH,
but that may be because I can play now without being so achy and sore the next day.

Well, there are some somewhat amusing things new players often do. I know I did when I started.

One is to throw the fastest disc when they'll be clearly underpowered and will get poor results. I've played for 15 years and learned I don't have the power for certain discs.

Another is to buy every new wonderdisc that hits the market, thinking it will make them a star. Instead of the boring advice to stick with what you can control until you master it.

Yet another is the new player who gets introduced to disc golf, and instantly so hooked that he plays 3 rounds a day for 3 weeks. I remember those days, too.

And.....to feel the course they started on, perhaps the only course they know, is the greatest course ever and rate it a 5.0. It would actually be a tragedy if your first course was a 5.0---it would take a lot of joy out of traveling.

And.....to pick up some really bad rules myths from other new players.

I was new and remember doing all this.

I think I'm lucky I actually do have some very nice courses nearby (Banklick, Idlewild, etc), but I still have enjoyed some of the travelling I've done, seeing not only more states, but how they make courses difficult with the terrain differences, especially different than what I'm used too.

I think I'm lucky I actually do have some very nice courses nearby (Banklick, Idlewild, etc), but I still have enjoyed some of the travelling I've done, seeing not only more states, but how they make courses difficult with the terrain differences, especially different than what I'm used too.

By all accounts you can call Idlewild more than a "very nice course." I haven't had the pleasure, but apparently it's a "great course", judging from the reviews. Very lucky.

We do, from time to time, see someone who rates a course 5.0 when everyone else is rating it about 3.0. Their info says "1 course played, 1 course reviewed, having played 0.2 years". You have to think a little broader experience would improve their assessment.

not until you get past 'bogey member' status.

Unless you spend all the time not spent on DGCR actually playing disc golf. If so, you can be "bogey member" all you want, and not be a newb, n00b.

Welcome to DGCR. :)

pics

The only time I really complain about noobs is in the spring. As a dedicated lunatic that loves playing disc golf, I've been playing all winter in the mud with the cold wind blowing. You pretty much have the course to yourself and have gotten used to it. Then, warm breezes blow in and everyone comes to the park with their kids, their inlaws, their dogs... etc. etc. etc. People that don't even know what disc golf is will set up barbecue grills and blankets on the fairways and walk around the course oblivious to anyone else. Everyone that ever thought of playing disc golf is gathered at the tee wondering which direction they should throw...

The blessed blast furnace known around north Texas as mid June to mid September will drive them back into their homes and air conditioned comfort... In the fall, they all watch football. Go Cowboys!

As you can tell... skill level really doesn't matter to me... respect for the sport does.

Have fun and practice your putting!

Here are the Rules (as given in the internetz):

1) Throw plastic.
2) Have fun.
3) Repeat as needed.

That said, pick good people to play with - the haters will leave if they're shunned enough.

^Words of Wisdom. :)

Latest posts