• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

some jerks can spoil a course for the rest

One of the local alcoholics who plays Bevier in Waukegan leaves his beer cans EVERY where on the course. Just littered everywhere. But I noticed that he now puts his cigarette butts in a baggie and disposes of them after each round into the proper trash receptacle. Baby steps…

Do you guys have leagues or weekly doubles games on the courses with litter problems? If so, you might consider this:

The first game of every month, we send a trash bag out with each card. Everybody picks up garbage throughout the round, and you alternate who is carrying the bag in your card. At the end of the night, we give everyone who is on the card with the most garbage an entry into a raffle for a sweet prize at the end of the season. Picking up the garbage doesn't take too much from our enjoyment, and we sort of enjoy the competition. We get a clean course because of it. And we are working with the city and local media to get more courses built- when I can say on the radio or to city council "we pick up every piece of garbage on the course which is located in this busy and typically dirty park every month," it sure helps our case.

:thmbup::thmbup:
although I would probably cheat by smuggling in my own garbage just to win the raffle. hehe

I apologize for using the term retard. all i did was copy and paste the words sent to me. It wasn't me using the word and i should have read it and changed it to jerks. I was just pissed that the Christian College this course is on is being treated with such disrespect. I like the idea of giving trash bags to the groups in league. I usually carry two trash bags with me. one for trash which i collect and dump in the nearest trash can. the second is for the empty bottles that have a deposit associated with them. one of the courses leagues aren't there so the league idea wont work but if we can each pick up some of the litter along the course it would help. I did this with some others at one of our courses they were complaining about while wearing our league t-shirts. a local business man witnessed us cleaning the park and contacted the disc shop associated with the league thanking him for his players taking the time to take care of the course. So our work is appreciated we just need to keep it up and try to educate more people to do the same.

You really think disc golfers are going to quit drinking, smoking, doing drugs, littering, graffitiing, and destroying stuff? Give me a break. Sorry, but I have little faith in the average disc golfer I meet. I cannot remember the last round I played with people I didn't bring with me to the course, both casual and PDGA-sanctioned tournament, where someone didn't light a bong.

The only way to have a nice course is to have it be pay to play. A free course in a city park is going to be trashed. $2 a round or $20 a year not only pays for someone to enforce the rules, but also pays to replace broken equipment, clean up graffitti, and pick up trash. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. You cannot have a free sport AND have nice courses at the same time. It's one or the other, take your pick.

I'll bet my local course sees 200+ rounds a day. Assuming 50 of those pay, that's $100 a day. Let's assume another 500 people buy the annual pass. That's $36,500 in day fees plus another $10,000 in annual fees. $46,500 replaces your entire course 4 times a year. Even if you have to spend half of it on enforcement and money collection, you're still way ahead.

Last edited:
If I go disc golfing a 2nd time in a week at the course I bring a plastic bag with me to pick up all the trash I remembered the previous day. All the modelo cans, malt liquor broken bottles, roaches/cigarette butts totally ruin the scene. Not to mention I don't feel safe with smashed cans/broken glass since I cut myself a lot when I was a kid.

You really think disc golfers are going to quit drinking, smoking, doing drugs, littering, graffitiing, and destroying stuff? Give me a break. Sorry, but I have little faith in the average disc golfer I meet. I cannot remember the last round I played with people I didn't bring with me to the course, both casual and PDGA-sanctioned tournament, where someone didn't light a bong.

The only way to have a nice course is to have it be pay to play. A free course in a city park is going to be trashed. $2 a round or $20 a year not only pays for someone to enforce the rules, but also pays to replace broken equipment, clean up graffitti, and pick up trash. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. You cannot have a free sport AND have nice courses at the same time. It's one or the other, take your pick.

I'll bet my local course sees 200+ rounds a day. Assuming 50 of those pay, that's $100 a day. Let's assume another 500 people buy the annual pass. That's $36,500 in day fees plus another $10,000 in annual fees. $46,500 replaces your entire course 4 times a year. Even if you have to spend half of it on enforcement and money collection, you're still way ahead.

Never seen an honest to goodness bong on the course. Sounds a bit awkward. Trollin' aside, I partially agree with what you're saying here, but it will be more or less correct depending on the area and community. My home course is free but because it is well monitored and taken care of by the local crew, it is in great shape. There is nearly always someone there that loves the course and game enough to speak up against destructive behavior. Most hooligans end up being driven away or, in the most recent case, arrested for breaking into cars after a couple of locals caught and pinned the fellow. On the flip side, a new free course was put in about 25 miles away in a much lower quality town and was promptly torn to sh!t by vandals and ignorant locals that wouldn't pick up their dog crap. Point is, a course doesn't ALWAYS have to be pay to play to be nice, but in some areas it really should be.

Some guys can't/won't play unless they are/get wasted during the round. Drunk people don't care about litter or anything else.

Well, once again I realise that I am on a mostly american dominated forum. We just dont have these problems here in switzerland...

I mean, dont get me wrong, there is a lot of drinking and smoking going on. People just clean up after themselfs. Same as we would never have a anti drinking rule for public parks. It's legal to drink, why should it be illegal in some zones that people come to specialy to have fun, kick back and recreate ? Kinda defeats the purpouse.

It's legal to drink, why should it be illegal in some zones that people come to specialy to have fun, kick back and recreate ? Kinda defeats the purpouse.
Why does having fun, kicking back and recreating have to involve alcohol and tobacco use? Millions of people do these things all over the world every day without those substances. If someone absolutely needs to drink and/or smoke to play disc golf, I think that they need their priorities reevaluated.

And in case you haven't read the thread, its sadly unfortunate in many cultures that the consumption of said products seems to bring out the "I don't give a s***" in some of the folks who use them, who also see no issue with throwing the empty containers or remnants behind. If it weren't for this behavior from a selfish few, I doubt that the authorities would have ever considered enacting rules that punish everybody.

That being said, rules enacted and rules enforced are two different matters. If people obeyed said rules, the complaints in this thread and others like it would be few and far between.

I think the point he was trying to make is that there are also responsible people out there that can drink and smoke to enjoy themselves and be responsible at the same time. I have played several courses that are very clean yet there are people legally drinking and enjoying themselves.

I feel like the cleaner courses can be used as an example to those courses that are littered. The problem with litter is that once somebody sees something on the ground, they feel less entitled to clean up after themselves and it escalates quickly. I like the weekly idea with the bags, thats smart!

Yep. Beer drinkers are always lazy, irresponsible alcoholics. And I guess the people who drink coke, gatorade and bottle water that leave their empties laying around are doing so in the name of Public Art. Confirmation bias much? Are people just noticing the trash that offends them? I especially like the observation that the church course trash can was full of beer cans. At least they're making it into the can. I see nothing wrong with packing out your own beer that you packed in. Wanting to drink a beer during a casual round is a far cry from 'having to be wasted to enjoy themselves'. I don't know about everyone else, but splitting a 6 pack with my group during 9 holes isn't even going to cause a buzzz. But then, I find a cold beer during a warm afternoon can be as or more appreciated than a water or Gatorade. Why does having fun, kicking back and recreating have to exclude others from using alcohol, tobacco, sugar or caffeine responsibly? How about we tackle the real issue: why is no one cleaning up? When faced with having a course being pulled, why doesn't someone step up and organize a regular litter cleaning crew? Why is it always someone else's job?

To me, this kind of behavior is just as foolish as someone using the word "retard," or someone using the phrase "That's gay". My two cents.

To me, someone who takes offense and goes out of their way to point out that they are offended when someone says a word is a fool. Yes, there are words in the english language that people use to insult other people like the words retard and gay. You know what context they are using it in yet you decide that you want to take offense and go out of your way to try and correct other adults who are fully capable of making their own decisions as if you are some sort of hero. I find it offensive that people like you try and put down other people for using words that you don't like, this world is not in your reality - your reality is in this world. The word retard is a real word with a real meaning that derives from latin.

Adjective:
Less advanced, esp. mentally, than is usual for one's age.

So looking at the definition of retarded, it seems the word was used accurately in this entire thread. People who litter and vandalize are generally immature for their age, therefor they are retarded.

Last edited: