• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Some knowledge on putters!

mtdiscs

Making a move on putter choice. I have been playing for sometime now and for most of that time I have been using avairs 10x and 11x the 12x is not bad but the waxy feel is not my cup of tea. I love my 10xs but because of cost on them would rather find an updated replacement any good ideas or recommendations?

If you like the feel of the Aviar you may want to try a Gateway Wizard or Vibram Ridge. You can move both ways on stability on either disc.

I've got some friends that I play with who are the same way.They don't like the stiffness and slippery feel of the KC Pro Aviars(my favorites to be exact).

They use the JK Pro Aviars and love them.I like them too,but I prefer a more stiffer putter.The JK's are in the middle on Firmness and grip really, really well.I think you would like them too.

If you like the harder 10X Aviars, pick up some of the G9i reruns of Wizards. They're molding up consistently flat, fly perfectly Wizard stable off the tee, and are (supposedly) the same plastic as the well-respected, older runs from years ago. They are nice and firm but still grippy. I've found that they even gain some grip with a little sweat on your fingers. Here's a thread where notroman is doing a group buy. He's a great seller and a great guy. It looks like the next run is close to being completed so grab a handful.

Ion if you want a consistent product that flys great. Unlike other discs the ion runs are consistent from run to run (other then the first 2 runs)

a great 3 way combo is MVP Ion Lat64 Pure and a DC Zone

I'm really digging my S and SS wizards that I recently bought. They seem to fly closer to a rhyno for me, though. I have a buddy that bought a Gateway Warlock a couple of weeks ago. It seems a little bit less stable and doesn't have the bead along the bottom. These discs are a little softer feeling than the waxy aviars.... but don't seem to be flimsy in S and SS. I have heard that the flimsiness is a little different with each run. I would recommend getting them in person from a shop so you can feel them before buying.

Try a S or SS wizard. I'd say ion but if you are trying to get away from slick putters, that's a bad option. The wizard is slightly o/s like the kc pro with a similar feel. The inside rim (were the flight plate meets the inner rim) is sharper though, not as comfy if you power grip your putter, but not an issue for putting

I've been using wizards for the grip lately instead of ions. Some new 12x kc pro aviars feel tacky too, but it sounds like you're over them

I'll add my vote for the Ion. I used to throw a star Aviar, but it's been a practice disc since I discovered the Ion. Soft and medium are both great, and I have a stack of both kinds for practice. The Aviar still gets love with the practice basket too, but I can grab any of my Ions on my way out the door and be confident that they won't fail me.

He also putts with 10X KC Pro Aviars which are very firm. A Yeti doesn't really fit that bill either. Firm and grippy isn't the easiest thing to accomplish.

G9 Wizards are a good suggestion. Not just firm, but actually hard, yet they have a nice texture. They've got good grip, but are not really tacky. I considered using them. Yeti's are nice but they are generally softer and more tacky.

Ion is not a very good suggestion. Not like a KC Pro Aviar in terms of feel at all.

If you are already putting Aviars you gotta roll with the YETI. I was reticent to try them because of the dx mix but they are actually pretty durable. plus they are so cheap and consistent.

You might consider the Yeti Test Configuration disc being sold at the Innova pro shop. The plastic is stiffer than a regular Yeti without the waxy feel of KC pro. The top is flat with very little concave to it. The two blue ones I picked up came out like this.

Actually the new production yeti's are way stiff. i have a few in my shop. as stiff as kc but more grippy

Latest posts