• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Someone stole the 'r' from frolf.

I'll take this discussion to a little different place.

Overt Spray paint and shovel work was likely not the most noble of moves, but there is something in the concept we could talk about.

One of the things that we have found difficult in making progress with course additions in our area is not having "use history" on an undeveloped forested or wilderness parcel. However, trails users often do have "established use history" that is then leveraged into not only keeping what they have, but gaining the lions share of the park planning - often unquestioned and assumed. It's one of those possession is nine tenths of the law type deals.

Here's the deal - the trails go in without the hoops, (any hoops) and the user base gets built. Sometimes its organic, but in our area many times its strategic. I've spoken with our most zealous regional mountain bike org president and he shared that yupp.. they kinda "push their way in". Forgiveness is easier than permission. I like that bike and trails org, and they are doing well thought out stuff, and are land respective to the best of their abilities, but the disparity of how they get in was noticeable.

We've had examples where we've lobbied, attended meetings, raised the call for DG just to get to the table for a master plan concept - meanwhile, we find a local newspaper article comes out a week later touting the greatness of the 25 miles! of new bike and hike trails the local org "just placed". We say "way happened… they haven't even set the master planning process yet…". They got the trails in, they won. we lose even before getting to the table.

DG is in a tough spot that we can't have use history, until a course is placed… unless there is use history in another way.

It's terrible, and not for an organized club to condone,and not the way we locally do business… but…. it could be thought of as a pragmatic strategy if done respectfully. At a minimum, use history sometimes gets concessions elsewhere. But then again, if you believe DG is destined to always not be able to have nice things out of our own undoings, then maybe not the best path if it blows up unexpectedly.

Points well taken, and I for one don't believe you're advocating the actions taken in this example (painted landscape). A non-permanent mock-up, if you will, of a proposed dg course is much easier for people to comprehend than just the plans for one. when trying to incorporate a dg course into established mixed-use parks, I would think it would be of particular usefulness to ease any fears of "flying razor blades" randomly whizzing over playgrounds. Non-discing voters may hear "disc golf" and "near playground" in the same sentence and vote NO based purely on lack of knowledge. Seeing the actual layout, probable flight paths, and (hopefully) absence of obvious dangers could easily change a lot of decision-making minds.

Logistically feasible in all situations, of course not. But certainly something to consider.

Yes, My points were about the difficulty in our sport faced by not being able to establish "use history"

Definitely not about the means and methods. A reflective discussion if you will.

Ever implement - nope, never.

My last phasing on my post brought in to question wether the disc golf community could even possibly do it without junking it up by our own nature. (the counter counter argument would be that if you "leave no trace" and no one saw you, were you ever there?)

Its more the interesting thing that happens is when one can share that "there has been disc golf use in this (undeveloped/underused) area for (x) years.

The bikers get to do that, the hikers get to do that, the horse users get to do that, the dog walkers get to do that. Even ORV, moto dirt bikers get to do that.

Wether by boots, wheels, or aided by shovels and picks… their trails leave scars too.
(to be fair)

Mostly wanted to share that the underlying tactic is being used by other sporting pastimes.
again, a reflective discussion.

Our local club is trying to put in a new course. Last week we had a very productive clean up day where we had over 50 members come out. We set up 18 baskets and had a bbq and played a fun tags round. Everyone carried a trash bag with them during the round. The parks dept. came out to check on us near the end of the day and saw the huge pile of trash (more than 50 bags as a few people filled multiple bags) that we had collected. It was a great way to get history on the land and show that we are there to use and improve the land. We have permission to do it again next month. The seeds are planted.

Royal, I'm not sure if it is just me, but I don't think I really understand either of your posts. I apologize if I misinterpreted the first one. I am having trouble reading your writing style.

Royal, I'm not sure if it is just me, but I don't think I really understand either of your posts. I apologize if I misinterpreted the first one. I am having trouble reading your writing style.

I think he is saying that making an obstacle course first, helps with getting a permanent course set. It helps by being able to show that the land is already being used as a course. Which in turn, makes it easier for the governing body to allocate funds for dg on that section of land.

He isn't saying spray paint is the answer. He is just saying that an obstacle course is a good way to prove history in the region.

The only problem I see with that is the amount of people that disrespect the land. I don't know how many times I see beer cans all over crossroads(church course), which is talked about being pulled because of this.

If you want to prove "use history" then simply don't post about the course on any kind of social media. Only invite people you know will respect the land.

You may justify criminal vandalism anyway you wish. It will still be wrong.
He's not justifying it. He's making a point that local governments have a history of placating "vandals" when there is no existing infrastructure for their activities, by giving into the fact that there is a demand for said activity, because its taking place anyway in an unauthorized fashion.

Probably 95% of skateboard parks that have ever been built were created for just such a reason.

images-PirateEncyclopedia_Fullpic_1.gif

Have you heard about the new pirate movie?.......... It's rated AARRRRGGH!
what is a pirates favorite study subject? ..........arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.
what's a pirate's second-choice job? ..........an arrrrrrchitect!
what's a pirate's favorite letter of the alphabet? ..........arrrr
What kind of socks does a pirate wear? .......... AARRRRGGHyle!
What's a pirate's second favorite mode of transportation? ..........A cAARRRRGGH!
What does a gourmet pirate add to his dinner? ..........A gAARRRRGGHnish!
What Star Wars character is really a pirate?..........AARRRRGGH-2 D-2!
What's a pirate's favorite country? ..........AARRRRGGHentina!
Why did the pirate go on vacation? ..........He needed some AARRRRGGH and AARRRRGGH!
where do pirates put their trash?.......... in the GARRRRRRRRRRRBAGE can!
what is a pirates favorite doll?.............. BARRRRRRRRRRBIE!
where do pirates keep their cookies?....... in a jarrrr!!!!
how did the pirate become a lawyer? .......he passed the barrrrr!!!!
where do pirates like to eat? ........... the HARRRRRRD rock cafe!
what are pirates afraid of? ....... the DARRRRRRRRRRK
what did the pirate do to his drowining first mayte?..... C P ARRRRRRRRR
where did the pirate put its car when it was done driving it?.... the PARRRRRRRRRKING lot
why are pirates the coolest?...... they just ARRRRRRRR!!!
where do pirates keep their weapons?.....in an ARRRRRRRRSONAL!
what's a pirates favorite fast food restraunt? .........arrrrrr-by's
where do pirates park their ships?........ in the harrrrrrbor!
where do pirates get their haircut? ..........at the barrrrrber!
Why is there smoke all arond the pirate?..........He's smoking a cigarrr.
Why does the pirate say AED?..........He knows mediacl Jarrrgon
What was the pirate's golf score?..........parrrr
Why did the pirate move to Russia?..........To be czarrr...

Have you heard about the new pirate movie?.......... It's rated AARRRRGGH!
what is a pirates favorite study subject? ..........arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.
what's a pirate's second-choice job? ..........an arrrrrrchitect!
what's a pirate's favorite letter of the alphabet? ..........arrrr
What kind of socks does a pirate wear? .......... AARRRRGGHyle!
What's a pirate's second favorite mode of transportation? ..........A cAARRRRGGH!
What does a gourmet pirate add to his dinner? ..........A gAARRRRGGHnish!
What Star Wars character is really a pirate?..........AARRRRGGH-2 D-2!
What's a pirate's favorite country? ..........AARRRRGGHentina!
Why did the pirate go on vacation? ..........He needed some AARRRRGGH and AARRRRGGH!
where do pirates put their trash?.......... in the GARRRRRRRRRRRBAGE can!
what is a pirates favorite doll?.............. BARRRRRRRRRRBIE!
where do pirates keep their cookies?....... in a jarrrr!!!!
how did the pirate become a lawyer? .......he passed the barrrrr!!!!
where do pirates like to eat? ........... the HARRRRRRD rock cafe!
what are pirates afraid of? ....... the DARRRRRRRRRRK
what did the pirate do to his drowining first mayte?..... C P ARRRRRRRRR
where did the pirate put its car when it was done driving it?.... the PARRRRRRRRRKING lot
why are pirates the coolest?...... they just ARRRRRRRR!!!
where do pirates keep their weapons?.....in an ARRRRRRRRSONAL!
what's a pirates favorite fast food restraunt? .........arrrrrr-by's
where do pirates park their ships?........ in the harrrrrrbor!
where do pirates get their haircut? ..........at the barrrrrber!
Why is there smoke all arond the pirate?..........He's smoking a cigarrr.
Why does the pirate say AED?..........He knows mediacl Jarrrgon
What was the pirate's golf score?..........parrrr
Why did the pirate move to Russia?..........To be czarrr...

Incorrect on one point. What is a pirates favorite letter? Surprisingly, it is 'P'.

Without that he is just irate.

Latest posts