• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Something I noticed

trumbulldore

Birdie Member
Recently I shook up my bag and changed my mids. I now only carry two pure mids and an approach disc. I carry a pain(similar to shark but slightly more fade) and a shark3(I use this more like a fairway driver though. Lately I have been using a Rhyno as a mid to excellent results. My score has dropped significantly by switching to using the rhyno as mainly approach and midrange. Thoughts??

I love a good Rhyno for exactly that, you can throw it a little higher and harder than most putters sine it's pretty OS. Good idea in my book.

Use what works! Rhynos are awesome throwers, and great in the wind.

How far are you throwing backhand and/or forehand?

I have to admit that looking at your bag (in your signature) you have WAY too many distance drivers. I honestly have no clue how one could possibly need that many different molds of distance driver. The havoc, krait, tern, bolt, and renegade are all competing for the same spot in the bag. You really should only need to have one of those in the bag. Cannons are all over the place so I have no idea if those are similar to your other distance drivers or not, but either way unless you are pumping the Cannon out over 400' you may be introducing unnecessary room for error by throwing a max speed disc.

I have to admit that looking at your bag (in your signature) you have WAY too many distance drivers. I honestly have no clue how one could possibly need that many different molds of distance driver. The havoc, krait, tern, bolt, and renegade are all competing for the same spot in the bag. You really should only need to have one of those in the bag. Cannons are all over the place so I have no idea if those are similar to your other distance drivers or not, but either way unless you are pumping the Cannon out over 400' you may be introducing unnecessary room for error by throwing a max speed disc.

When I did that sig I just looked at all the discs I carried, not necessarily the ones I use. However I disgree that the bolt, havoc, and krait (I'll give you tern, maybe renegade) compete. The krait is what I use If I need a distance driver to fly flat and straight, the havoc is supposed to be OS(mine is actually quite understable so I removed it from the bag) and the Bolt is my main driver. I got the cannons over winter and have yet to have a chance to throw them at full potential, but one cannon is OS and the other is more US.
In regards to the rhyno I've been throwing it anywhere out to 80 feet with great results, It essentially is my main mid, If I need something that fights the wind better than i step up to pain, then shark3.

I remember when I did this first starting out. I had me a Stingray and a Roc and a Classic Roc for all my approaches.

I got better too just having these 3 discs to really focus on. It really helps.

Mid range discs are the true "tweeners" of DG. I currently only bag 1 mid. Although ideally I will carry 2 different molds.

2 putters which I use off the tee like mids, 3 fairway drivers I use like mids..

BTW-- super OS mids are pointless :p

Mid range discs are the true "tweeners" of DG. I currently only bag 1 mid. Although ideally I will carry 2 different molds.

2 putters which I use off the tee like mids, 3 fairway drivers I use like mids..

BTW-- super OS mids are pointless :p

Not to sidetrack the thread,but I've thought that too. I like my Hornet,but will i truely miss it? I think my Zone could work just as well...right?

right. there is a thread which I am a champion of that is titled something like "are OS mid-ranges pointless?" http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13546...

Honestly when the zone doesn't work a fairway will always be better and the mid gets lost. OS putter is always more accurate/reliable to that of their blunt nosed brothers in the slightly faster speed class . Stable mids are great but really OS ones, eh.. taking up bag space :D

Hornet is not reallllllllly even that OS though for the mentioned thread topic.

Last edited:
Recently I shook up my bag and changed my mids. I now only carry two pure mids and an approach disc. I carry a pain(similar to shark but slightly more fade) and a shark3(I use this more like a fairway driver though. Lately I have been using a Rhyno as a mid to excellent results. My score has dropped significantly by switching to using the rhyno as mainly approach and midrange. Thoughts??

I have a similar scheme in my bag, but more on the understable side: A VIP Tursas and TP Warship for driving off the tee, with Lucid and Classic Suspects for (fairway) midrange duties and approaches...

The Suspect has been a huge boon to my game. So predictable and easy to range, works BH and FH, goes where I want it to go and then sits. You probably feel the same about your Rhyno! :thmbup:

I will say that in the winds I was playing in yesterday the Rhyno wasn't working as well and it would've been nice to have a more OS mid. So I recently threw back in my Roc3 which was a tad OS for my style of play. Still I predom. carry three mids, one being a putter. I also just put my Cro back in the bag. It's like the only disc I can sidearm for some reason...don't know hwy

recently running similar experiments with my mids. reducing molds more than reducing number of discs. i am working with 3 different dx rocs right now, trying to cover over stable, stable and under stable mids with one mold that feels the same for every shot. Reducing molds/discs is a good thing for most players. your going to get more consistent, better quality, flights when you are more familiar with feel and timing of a disc. thats my theory any way , gonna go test it this morning.

A Zone is basically a Mid anyways. It's way too fast to be a putter. You can call it a putter but you are throwing an OS Mid.

A Zone is basically a Mid anyways. It's way too fast to be a putter. You can call it a putter but you are throwing an OS Mid.

Yeah, it's the Buzzz's overstable little brother with Napoleon's complex.

I'd think that the Pain and Shark3 would overlap a bit, but I haven't thrown Shark3s. I'd think you'd want to put a neutral line shaper in there to work some finesse, hyzer flips, turnovers, and annys with.

I'd think that the Pain and Shark3 would overlap a bit, but I haven't thrown Shark3s. I'd think you'd want to put a neutral line shaper in there to work some finesse, hyzer flips, turnovers, and annys with.

My bag is a continuing experiment right now. The shark overlaps a bit but I have room so I carry it

Latest posts