• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

South Carolina, April 2023 - 47 Courses in 7 Days

cox3

Par Member
Premium Member
682 holes. Shot -228 (which is right at my usual marathon average of -6 per 18 holes). Course total increased from 1,934 to 1,981. My course ratings are listed by each course.

Thursday, April 6th

Pisgah Park 2.5

Friday, April 7th

Southeast Park 4.0
Owens Field Park 3.0
-----(beginning of non-stop 45 degree rain... played with 4 discs in a rain suit)-----
Seven Oaks Park 2.0
H.E. Corley Elementary School 1.5
Springdale Elementary 0.5
Gilbert Middle School 1.0
Red Bank Elementary 2.0
Meadow Glen Middle School 2.0

Saturday, April 8th

Columbia International University 3.0
Satchel Ford Elementary 2.0
Catawba Trail Elementary 1.5
Woodward Park 2.5
Dillon Park 3.5
Hidden Park 1.0
Live Oak Park 3.0
-----(end of non-stop 45 degree rain)-----

Sunday, April 9th

Hunter Park 2.0
Laurens County Park 3.5
Woodruff Leisure Center 3.5
Linville Hills Park 2.0
Wofford College 1.5
The Moo DGC @ Timken Community Center 3.0
USC-Upstate 2.5
Michelin DGC 2.0
Century Park 3.0

Monday, April 10th

Holly Ridge Baptist Church 2.0
The Firecracker DGC @ Fountain Inn Elementary 3.0
Southside Park 2.0
The Wildcat DGC @ Woodmont Middle School 2.5
Golden Grove Farm & Brew 4.5
Hurricane Springs Park 2.0
Easley High School 3.0
Foothills DGC @ J.B. Owens Sports Complex 3.5
Dacusville Elementary 3.0

Tuesday, April 11th

Gower Park 2.0
Timmons Park 3.5
Holmes Park 2.0
Hampton Park Baptist Church 3.0
Dolly Cooper Park 3.5
Blue Flame DGC @ Pickens High School 4.0
Pickens High School - P.E. Loop 1.5
Hagood Mill DGC 2.5
Grand Central Station DGC 4.5

Wednesday, April 12th

The Trails DGC 3.0
Shaver Recreation Center - Original 3.0
Shaver Recreation Center - Championship 4.5
Sertoma Field DGC 3.0

My South Carolina Top 10:

1. Langley Pond DiscGolfPark 5.0
2. Shaver Recreation Center - Championship 4.5
3. Golden Grove Farm & Brew 4.5
4. Chester State Park - Green 4.5
5. Grand Central Station DGC 4.5
6. Camp Canaan - Riverbend 4.5
7. Winthrop University – Gold 4.5
8. Pipeline DGC 4.0
9. Blue Flame DGC @ Pickens High School 4.0
10. Stoney Hill DGC - Diamond 4.0

The new Authority on school courses in SC!

LOL. Well it did work out well that there were so many short ones around Columbia while the weather was atrocious. The school courses up around Greenville are all really good-- some great even. I was very impressed.

-----(beginning of non-stop 45 degree rain... played with 4 discs in a rain suit)-----

-----(end of non-stop 45 degree rain)-----

We had a tournament at Stoney Hill on the 8th, a qualifier for the USDGC Doubles. It was miserable, never got over 43 degrees, 3 inches of rain, and wind.

We started with 19 teams, and finished with 6 teams. Everyone out of contention threw in their soggy towel -- and one team that was leading after round 1, decided round 2 wasn't worth it.

So, for all those courses you played on the 7th & 8th, I can just say that I admire your persistence, but doubt your sanity.

8. Pipeline DGC 4.0
What's wrong with this picture ?

Uhhh, I'd say that list is missing Splinter City, but I've only played two courses in that state and they are all Myrtle Beach area. Guess I'll tiptoe out of this one...

All kidding aside. You're a beast of a course bagger. Me and the wife played 40 in 8 days in the Charlotte to Augusta region, including Langley, IDGC, and Stoney Hill (both). Only one rainy day, much better temps at that. You drove I assume?

8. Pipeline DGC 4.0

Well the main thing is that I haven't played all those courses, and I live here. Haven't even heard of #9.

I haven't played the Myrtle Beach area. These are only courses that I've played.

I haven't either. But even where people have, courses in the Myrtle Beach & Charleston areas rarely make top lists for SC. (There's a new private course called SOAC, between Columbia & Charleston, that is rapidly getting that sort of praise, though.)

All kidding aside. You're a beast of a course bagger. Me and the wife played 40 in 8 days in the Charlotte to Augusta region, including Langley, IDGC, and Stoney Hill (both). Only one rainy day, much better temps at that. You drove I assume?
Yes, I drove. 40 in 8 is still getting it. My rate was significantly slower with my ex-wife. I was doing about 100 a year. I'm insane by myself. I'm at like 850 in 27 months. Trying to play them all before another long term relationship comes along. Lol

Well the main thing is that I haven't played all those courses, and I live here. Haven't even heard of #9.
Blue Flame is pretty sweet. I think it's pretty brand new. It only has like 30 ratings on UDisc. It's north of Greenville so some pretty nice mountain views. Turf tees. Only about 4 or 5 holes are in the open. The wooded fairways are all really nicely cut. It has a pretty little stream that plays alongside several holes that acts as OB. Good mix of technical shots, longer par 3's, and some par 4's. A lot of balance and variety overall. The only negatives really are that holes 17 & 18 leave a lot to be desired as finishing holes and there are some lengthy transitions. It would've been nice if some of those walks could have been transformed into another couple thousand feet in length with a little extra on the par. 2/3 of the course is probably a 4.5 easily. All of those courses are excellent. There are so many great courses these days... It's not like it used to be.

I haven't either. But even where people have, courses in the Myrtle Beach & Charleston areas rarely make top lists for SC. (There's a new private course called SOAC, between Columbia & Charleston, that is rapidly getting that sort of praise, though.)
Yeah, I want to do a Savannah>Charleston>Myrtle Beach>Wilmington trip. That's about the only thing I'm lacking in the southeast. I got a few holes in Tennessee & Georgia that I should be filling during May. If I get that, I will have played almost everything worthwhile from TX/OK to the Atlantic, from the Gulf to the top of NC/TN/AR/OK.

Quickly. Courses are popping up in your wake. About 15 miles north of Columbia is a new private course, Merrill Farms, similar to Stoney Hill except they have a better pond. Still new and rough, at the moment.

Quickly. Courses are popping up in your wake. About 15 miles north of Columbia is a new private course, Merrill Farms, similar to Stoney Hill except they have a better pond. Still new and rough, at the moment.
Sweet! Yeah, I saw it on UDisc but I just decided to skip it this trip, especially with the weather. They are definitely popping up as fast as you can play them these days-- which is a good thing. I'll be back! I've got to make a return visit to Stoney Hill anyway! One day I hope to have time to start replaying my favorites instead of just playing new ones. I already do really. I find that I like to replay my 4-5 stars about every 5 years at a minimum if possible. The 3-3.5's I can do without replaying. The 2.5's & below I never want to play again. I know I'll be back in Columbia some day anyway. I'll always be traveling to SEC country for LSU football and baseball. That's why I did this trip-- I went to the LSU/USC baseball series.

Latest posts