• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Special/Fundraiser Discs - Do you throw them?

Justin Daniel

I am new to the sport, and have picked up a couple "special" discs (limited run, fundraiser discs, etc. but nothing crazy rare or expensive). The last thing I need is another collection so I intend on eventually throwing them all. Any differing opinions or ideas on the topic of throwing vs bagging or hanging? I guess I just want to know if others throw these special discs or if I am making a mistake.

Just throw the discs you want to throw. If it's a limited run, buy a handful of backups so you don't have to pay the premium to replace your thrower when you lose it/wear it out down the line. The collector market is too fickle to worry about it.

I throw everything I have. I'm not into collecting discs. I enjoy having weird stamps, etc... in my bag so I throw it all.

I only have one CFR disc that I will never throw which is an Innova Star Gremlin from the 2006 Charleston Classic with an image of Hampton Park on it. I have tons of others that I would throw should I lose the same mold but they just sit in boxes although I try to sell most all of my players packs as I have way too many backups for now. When I started playing sanctioned tournaments in 2006, you generally received an Innova cotton t-shirt or sweatshirt with the event logo somewhere but over the years it seems you only get discs which I do not need or have even heard of. I just recently put a Salient Antidote in the bag which is the first new mold I have added since 2008 I think since I generally throw Rocs, Comets, Aviars, Wraiths and Leopards

NO mistake at all. Like any collector business they go up & down.

I play with anything I want.... the only discs I have for "collecting" are not because they are discs, it's because of the autographs on them. Those could just as easily be framed pics.

I have a Ledgestone Ti FLX Buzzz OS in the bag right now! During warmer months I also bag USDGC Rancho and San Marino Rocs.

I say if it flies like you want and fits your hand, throw it! Its just a fancy Frisbee after all haha

I throw everything, too.

I know someone who keeps some with cool stamps for decoration, but not collector's value.

I have a Discraft MRV. It was my first golf disc ever and I threw it for years. I lost it for a time and had it returned to me a year later. After I got it back it went straight back into my bag until the sad day I noticed a crack in the flight plate. I am going to put it in a shadow box and that will probably be the only disc I ever hang up.

In short, I will only hang a disc after it has given me lots of memories on the course.

The only things I don't throw are those with specific sentimental value or for the art itself. For example, I have two Cobras stamped with a Christmas stamp for the course I first played disc golf at (threw one, the other is bagged). I also have ZAM stamped discs I keep bagged (and had him sign) because I enjoy his art. Also have some first run prerelease Lunar Millennium discs bagged, but that's about it. I throw everything else. The only reason the market is so high for some discs is because most people WANT to throw them!!

I used to throw CFR glow discs such as a thunderbird. But I've played in two tournaments where a glow disc slides under leaves i guess and i have to retee. On good shots too! Went from taking 3's to a 7 the first time and a 6 the second time.

So i dont throw any glow discs now, and alot of innova CFRs seem to be glow champion.

Anything else is free game though.

I throw em, Tourney stamps are a great way to get your hands on discs that are not standard production like metal flake & glow discs that are not made in glow all the time such as Firebirds or Destroyers.

I throw all of my custom stamped stuff, like my Skullboy Theory, Watermelon Proxy, Decodye Pure. The only discs I don't throw are not special stamps, just from when I first started playing.

My primary Roc3 is a Martin D fundraiser from here with 2 years of hard work in it. It's pink counterpart traded to a friend flying regular as well.

(Albeit I did wipe the stamp and stenciled a dye on mine)

Champion FundRaiser (right?)

i.e. a mold where you can only get Champion plastic as special fundraiser discs and are not in regular production for Champion plastic

also to the topic, lets see, out of my 20 discs in the bag, 3 are fundraisers, 2 are signature discs and 4 are first runs. Plus one sweet sweet Crush JL C-DD. Throw what works and what is fun to throw, unless you happen on some really expensive ones (mostly way back in the day stuff like 9x Firebirds), those you may want to auction for cash.

Or if you like the look of them, hang them up on the wall. Its all good. No way is "the right way".

I throw the molds that I bag and trade/sell the rest. They can be good trade bait, especially if they are popular molds like Teebirds etc. (I collect discs, but generally not CFR or tourny stamps.) They can make for good throwers too as usually companies make tournament discs out of their best plastics.

when I built my bag and bought most of my back ups everything I had was current. Now a lot of my bag happens to be limited or OOP which is kind of a bummer. I've thought about switching them out with molds/variations that are easier to find, but with a stash of back up and having not lost a disc in a long time I feel confident staying as is.

I have pro rhynos(OG and factory store),champ cobras,2nd run FDs, 1st run CPDs, Pat.no SPDs, and pfn destroyers all bagged.

I say throw what you know and what works, don't worry about the collector aspect (unless you REALLY want to get into it).

Its your disc. You paid for it with your own money. Do what you want with it. Throw it. Hang it. Have carnal relations with it (and if you do that, get help :sick:). Turn it upside down and eat mac & cheese out of it.

That being said, I usually don't throw my special discs. Of course, I'm not really collecting them either.

Latest posts