• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spectating a tournament.

Has anyone ever gone to a tournament just to watch? What's it like? The Atlanta Open is this weekend and it's taking up two of the major courses in the area so I was thinking about going to watch the pros both days or maybe just camp out at East Roswell. Is it frowned upon? Does anyone care?

It'll be at least another year before I consider myself even close to being good enough to enter an amateur tournament, so it'll be interesting to watch the big boys in person.

If your not in the way I cant imagine anyone is going to care if you come to watch. Both tourneys I have been at have had people there just to observe.

With that being said if they have a division your comfortable with (intermediate,rec, what not) I would def suggest joining. I just started going to tourneys this year and waited for the same reasons and it was a mistake. Seems to only way to get better at tourney play is to play tourneys. Also, your not going to be the worst there or ridiculed if you are. Youll learn alot and there pretty damn fun.

regarding playing - just go and play, that is how you get better!

regarding watching - stay behind the pros, stay quiet and enjoy watching them do things with discs you never thought possible! They really don't mind at all - that I have seen.

I can't see any problems with watching. Keep quiet (don't be that guy where your cell phone rings while a pro is teeing off) and stay out of the way is about all. Watching the Pros at the KC Wide Open (my first major tourney) last year was pretty sweet.

Have to agree with previous posts. We all have to start somewhere, so might as well jump in and play. Start in a low division and go from there. I've been trying for the last year to get some of the guys I play casual rounds with to play in some tourneys with me and they give me the "I'm not good enough" excuse. Well, they can hold their own against me and I'm no pro by any means. Tourneys are a really good time and you learn a ton by watching other players.

In case you're planning on playing, I'm pretty sure the AM field is completely full for the Atlanta Open. But, do go and watch. It can be fun. Make sure that you learn as you go.

I went to watch the Players Cup 2 years ago, and my wife hung with KC's girlfriend while I followed his group. Afterward I asked KC about spectating and he said I could have stood down the fairway even in plain sight as along as I wasn't jumping up and down being distracting. Remember to turn off your cell phones.

jeremy said:
I went to watch the Players Cup 2 years ago, and my wife hung with KC's girlfriend while I followed his group. Afterward I asked KC about spectating and he said I could have stood down the fairway even in plain sight as along as I wasn't jumping up and down being distracting. Remember to turn off your cell phones.

Yeah I have never had a problem with someone following my card but a guys cell did go off when I was about to putt two weeks ago. It was a tough knee straddle from 30ft for 3rd too but it wasn't a big deal since I hit it. :lol:

Great job on the putt Scoot_er
If your a Pro then you should be able to concentrate thru many things, but some things are very understandable. Cell phones, lightening ect.

Latest posts