• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spikeless Golf Shoes?

Reniger

* Ace Member *
So I played a quick round last night and ran into a friend wearing Callaway X-Link Spikeless ball golf shoes and was pretty impressed. The course still had some mildly slick spots and he was still getting good grip, told me that he feels much more stable in them than his old Keens and that they've work very well over the last two seasons.

I've always used Callaway Cleated golf shoes and love them. They are comfortable, fairly light, breath very well, and my pair has lasted for years through rigorous seasons of ball golf.

Okay. So. My longwinded question... Has anyone else tried spikeless golf shoes? The Callaway X-Links have Vibram soles, are only 15oz per pair, have a breathable mesh top, good looking tread without being nasty on concrete teepads, and my friend tells me they're about 80% waterproof (could easily be solved with a spray)

Only problem, they're kinda ugly.
2618555-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

But at about $40-$50 for Vibram soled Callaway shoes, I'm pretty tempted to give them a try! Huge savings over Merrells or Keens.

Anyone else have any experience with this type of shoe?

Cheers.

I wear FootJoy M Projects on the course. These are more comfortable than my everyday shoes! They also come in wider widths and have a 2 year waterproof guarantee. I have the full leather version so clean up is easy and they can be found in a mesh version too, I think.

Worst part of these shoes is that the retail price is $150 :(, but I found mine for $59.95 :D! Best $60 dollars I have ever spent on shoes!

I have had them for about 9 months now and they have lasted pretty good except for some cleat wear. That is to be expected walking on some asphalt/concrete thru the course, our course has dirt teepads so I cant say how they hold up on repetitive use on concrete pads.

Last edited:
I dont mind the look of those shoes. The only thing I dont like about it is how the sole is on the shoe. Seems like it would get ripped off pretty easy with just normal wear and tear from disc golf.

Spiked shoes tear up disc golf courses and I hope people stay away from them. They tear up the soil and allow for it to erode easier when it rains. These seem like a good alternative.

Spiked shoes tear up disc golf courses and I hope people stay away from them. They tear up the soil and allow for it to erode easier when it rains. These seem like a good alternative.

My FJ's are spike-less, they just have an assortment of small to medium rubber "nubs" on the sole rather than the thread in plastic star/fan shape cleats.

Absolutely. I would NEVER wear cleats discing. But, these vibram-soled Callaway spikeless look no more aggressive than many of the hiking shoes I've used...

Pros: Waterproof, very grippy, comfortable, come in wide widths for traditionally fat old ball golfers :)

Cons: Spinning on concrete wears down the tread very fast, they are meant for grass not concrete. I think they have too much grip and don't allow my feet to pivot freely, but that is preference. VERY hot, waterproof equals no ventilation.

Spikeless ball golf shoes are my go to for wet mornings or rainy days. Usually they have better waterproof qualities b/c they are leather than disc golf shoes which typically just have waterproof liners. I have never really thought of them as too hot either. Ball golfers that walk put significantly greater mileage on their shoes than disc golfers per round, although serious disc golfers probably play a lot more rounds a year. Either way, I cannot ever remember a round of disc or ball golf where my feet were too hot. Just stuff some newspaper in them after the round and little to no stink even if you do sweat. Also b/c so many ball golf shoes are released every year, you can often find shoes that were once $150 for less than any shoe typically used for disc golf. I have four of the same pair of shoe for less than $150 combined. They will last for the next five years as long as I wear tennis shoes when I don't need the waterproof.

Last edited:
I dont mind the look of those shoes. The only thing I dont like about it is how the sole is on the shoe. Seems like it would get ripped off pretty easy with just normal wear and tear from disc golf.

this is what bothered me too. looks like the kind that might be glued on. i'd be worried about the heel ripping off and flopping around like some of my cheaper nikes have

I really wish that I could find some of these in a local store... There are sites with them on sale right now at $38 w/ free shipping and I'm tempted, but I don't want to be utterly disappointed in the quality.

My Callaway spikes are wonderful for ball golf and have held up great over the years. Even in extreme heat they are comfortable and light, and have very, very little signs of wear. A couple summers ago when I was off work for a week, my brother and I played 2 rounds of ball golf per day for a week in 100+ degree heat. The Marshall was leading us with a car filled with ice water and filling the stations before we got to them to help us keep hydrated (2x 24oz water bottles each every three holes) but the shoes were champs!

Hmm... I might just bite the bullet and grab a pair to see how they are. $40 is damn cheap for a pair of shoes.

Latest posts