• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sticky shoes counter-productive?

dbstrat

I've noticed this off and on for a few years of watching pro coverage and wanted to get some thoughts... When I get to the course I switch from my daily drivers into my disc golf shoes which are Merrel trail/hiking shoes with sticky knobby rubber soles that make me feel like I'm getting good grip and less likely to slip. I guess I'm thinking along the lines of cleats for other sports.

The pros don't seem to wear the "disc golf shoes" I wear and see recommended quite a bit, instead wearing more like tennis shoes. I see that when I'm focusing on their footwork and brace, their lead foot spins open right at the release point or close to it.

Could these extra knobby, extra sticky shoes actually be jamming me up right around release? Obviously beefy shoes are helpful for really poor ground conditions but maybe they are a liability on days without precipitation or snow/ice on the ground? When the weather permits I will test this myself but curious what anyone else may have discovered about this?

I have had a lot of foot issues in my outdoor pursuits. I finally found the Oboz Sawtooth shoes, a bit like a trail runner type shoe, lowtop, but a grippy lugged sole.

I love them for everything from dining out to working on my Jeep including Disc Golf.

But I have found in my case (52 year old knees) that if I use them for Disc Golf when they are new and really grippy I have knee issues. So I let them wear about 6 months or so before I start using them for disc golf, at that point they seem to work just fine. Still plenty of traction in the woods and dirt, grass, etc but not too grippy on concrete.

To me the bigger issue has been the knees but it makes perfect sense that it could affect timing etc.

I have had a lot of foot issues in my outdoor pursuits. I finally found the Oboz Sawtooth shoes, a bit like a trail runner type shoe, lowtop, but a grippy lugged sole.

I love them for everything from dining out to working on my Jeep including Disc Golf.

But I have found in my case (52 year old knees) that if I use them for Disc Golf when they are new and really grippy I have knee issues. So I let them wear about 6 months or so before I start using them for disc golf, at that point they seem to work just fine. Still plenty of traction in the woods and dirt, grass, etc but not too grippy on concrete.

To me the bigger issue has been the knees but it makes perfect sense that it could affect timing etc.

That sounds like a good compromise.

I think jamming the foot / knee is definitely a thing for me. I have been using Merrill Moab 2's and find the newer shoes definitely can jar my knee. The tread seems to catch in the Australian couch grass we get here. Now that they have seasoned a bit and the tread has worn down, they are much better.

A few times I've worn my new pair by accident and had a few mishaps / timing issues and realised I had the wrong pair of shoes on.

going to agree here. I'm a little older, and use Asics trail running shoes. if it's really wet on my course in the spring/winter, I wear boots, but I have to be more cautious off the tee.

My Brother needs the knobby low hiking shoe, big guy at 240 LB 5 foot 6 inch Brick shape guy with bog bones. I am smaller at 5 foot 2 inch 105-110 pounds but I Found a more athletic all leather low cut shoe in summer, think the black leather kitchen shoe works best for me and disc golf, it keeps stuff from going through the mesh due to not having mesh, then the no slip rubber tread works on concrete tee pads especially after rain or if there is a thin layer of dirt or the like, mud they suck a bit but still work, though not as well.

These light hikers with the sticky Vibram type sole are a bit too stiff. Lace the loose and they are better. IDK what to get. Maybe something that can spin on the heel off a concrete tee. I have some worn out Patagonia sneeks I got for cheap but the cush is gone.

Flip-flops with boiled coke and pine tar on the bottoms will increase your spin rate.

You boil coke? I sniff it (kidding of course).

Oh wait...

I bought some "fishing shoes", lololololol...

No lugs. We shall see. $25 shipped. Maybe I'll get some flies for my hat.

I bought some "fishing shoes", lololololol...

No lugs. We shall see. $25 shipped. Maybe I'll get some flies for my hat.

IME (fishing) those are likely to have very soft and sticky soles.

In general I prefer a trail running or lite hiking shoe with a hard sole compound. They grip less on concrete, grip well in mud and last a long time. I often wear the tops out before the soles.

IME (fishing) those are likely to have very soft and sticky soles.

In general I prefer a trail running or lite hiking shoe with a hard sole compound. They grip less on concrete, grip well in mud and last a long time. I often wear the tops out before the soles.

I may send them back. What I have now (Karrimor Hot Rock low) have lugs in this Dynagrip, which is Dupont's Vibram. It's sticky and stiff enough I can't be on my toes and have release issues because it's hard to pivot on my heel.

I love these shoes but they are not going to last on concrete. They are great on rocks and trails with roots, though.

I'm going to try some Puma's that are sitting in the closet and see.

These "fishing shoes" may be a bust. This is what the bottom looks like. I think they are updated boat shoes but I see people out on rocks on the coast shore fishing in them, too. IDK

xtratuf-spindrift-kryptek-drainage-shoes-for-men-in-blue-p-52rrc-01-1500-2-1.jpg

It is a trade off. You need enough grip for the plant foot to stick in the brace, but allow the pivot.

All I know for certain is I don't want to slip at all when I'm throwing. I tore my hamstring teeing off on a concrete pad when my plant foot slipped just a few inches due to wet soles.

I may send them back.

These "fishing shoes" may be a bust. This is what the bottom looks like. I think they are updated boat shoes but I see people out on rocks on the coast shore fishing in them, too. IDK

I hope they work for you. My experience with shoes made for water and for boating is rubber compound is designed to be sticky. Which usually means it's also soft.

Puma Super Liga was pretty great this morning. Don't think they are going to like water and mud.

Latest posts