• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wet Shoes

I wear Merrill trail gloves and switch shoes/ socks between rounds. The waterproof ones are great for dew, but if you get water over the top it's not coming out.

Waterproof sandals? I think he meant water sandals. Being sandals it would be tough to make them waterproof.

Anyways, any lightweight hiking, trail runner with GoreTex could be good. I'm liking a pair of Merrel Moab's Goretex the best right now. I got probably 8 pairs of waterproof shoes and these are the best for dryness, durability and combination of lightness/mobility.

The leather upper on these sandals are waterproof. Not all sandals handle getting wet well.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-NE...PORT_color=1001870&cgid=mens_footwear_sandals

I am a huge fan of waterproof socks when dealing with early morning dew issues. I will say this as a heads up though; when you play a 2 round tournament, plan to change socks/shoes between rounds. I say that because, the waterproof socks tend to trap your body heat and perspiration. On super hot days, after the dew burns off, if my feet get too sweaty, the second round, I find that the pivoting on my feet - I end up with bad blisters. The feet get soft from sweat and you pivot hard on the tee pads. For me, this is mainly only a problem in the second round. I don't really feel the issue till after I'm done throwing for the day.

I love my waterproof socks and have a couple pair. Just watch out for the hot days after the dew has burned off.

If you don't mind wearing a full boot I've had great success with these from Columbia... so much that I bought a 2nd pair in black when I saw them on sale. The waterproofing works great for me.

picture.php

I'm always surprised that Columbia boots don't get mentioned more often. I also have a couple pairs of non-waterproof boots that are super comfortable and durability hasn't been an issue.

You can wash your waterproof shoes and they will regain most of the newness of waterproofing. I think that dirt and sweaty oils/whatever gets into the membrane or onto the shoe itself and it makes the membrane soak through much easier. The membrane doesn't work well if it's dirty.

Take the laces out, wash them on gentle cycle, the dry them in the sun. Oh and take the inserts out too to wash together but dry separately.

Thanks for the tips. For me I've found that waterproof stuff like Gortex is useful to keep your feet warmer than that shoe normally would without it. I can get away with using those GTX Terrex trail shoes in some reasonably cold weather as long as there isn't snow down.

... I wouldn't recommend Merrill, though; try any of the other good hiking shoes (e.g., Keen et al.)...

I've had decent luck with Merrills, most pairs (Chameleons, Moabs) last me almost 2 years, and only then because the shoe has separated from the sole. They still have plenty of tread left (Vibram soles FTW). The one pair of Keens I used (Targhee II) lasted all of 9 months. Barely.

YMMV

Best investment since starting disc golf was "lightweight" stormsocks, these are the things you just wonder why you didn't get them years ago...

In warmer weather, light weight synthetic material hiking boots (they dry quicker than others) with water proof socks. Coupled with spray antiperspirant and foot powder. And a plastic tub to put them in after use.

TLDR: What kind of shoes do you wear that keep your feet dry in wet, dew grass?

Every morning in the Midwest the grass is heavy with dew. Feet get soaked so fast it's no fun to play until noon. Even then, shady grass is still wet.

Back when I used to ball golf, the shoes were waterproof so that I never remember this problem.

I dowsed my normal hiking boots with the silicone waterproof spray which seems to give me 20 extra minutes before my feet are soaked.

25 years of experience.

25 years ago, I didn't have money for fancy waterproof shoes or socks. However, I decided to buy a pair of $30.00 waterproof socks for disc golf. I had a lot of trouble justifying spending $30.00 on ONE pair of socks. However, it was the best $30.00 I ever spent/invested. Those "expensive" socks allowed me to wear inexpensive shoes disc golfing. I lived in Iowa and Minnesota and these socks kept my feet dry year round including during icy, snowy play and they lasted for a few years!

Fast Forward 25 years. Now waterproof shoes are not as expensive. I like the Addidas Terrexx runners with Gortex which go on sale all the time for $70 or less. I have invested in Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks which are also "expensive" at $18/pair. However, they have a lifetime guarantee. Wool socks help if the shoes get too wet and start soaking through, they are also cushiony. I wear the wool even in high temps in California and don't have a problem with them being too hot. The wicking properties of wool are awesome and highly underrated. I haven't been able to wear out a pair of Darn Tough Socks yet! I never wear waterproof socks anymore because they do make my feet super sweaty and stinky.

https://darntough.com/pages/about-us#who-we-are

I've gotta say most people are overthinking this. Wear Gore-Tex shoes when it's wet. Regular shoes when it's dry.

Gore-tex. Not "Keen Dry" or "XYZ Waterproof" or "Water Resistant" whatever shoes. They all have mixed results and durability. Get ones with real-deal Gore-Tex labels. Adidas and Salomon make great ones, there are plenty of others. Just don't step in water above the top of the shoe, and your feet will stay dry.

I'm a 2x per week sort of player and typically wear the soles out before the waterproofing goes.

Oboz Firebrand are the shoes that I wear. They are waterproof, but are also a little on the heavy side. I don't deal with wet feet anymore unless the shoe is completely submerged or it's raining and water runs down my legs. In the latter case, waterproof shoes turn into bowls if I am wearing shorts. When I know there will be rain, I wear pants that I have waterproofed with silicone caulk and mineral spirits (YouTube has several videos that show how to do this). That keeps the water off my legs and, in turn, prevents that water from getting into the shoes.

I work outside and wore my old leather boots (with stitches going out around the heel) to work this morning instead of the new(er), lighter nylon boots that I'd been wearing all summer. Leather stays dry in the wet grass. This explains why I hadn't noticed this wet feet phenomenon until this year.

Oboz Firebrand are the shoes that I wear. They are waterproof, but are also a little on the heavy side. I don't deal with wet feet anymore unless the shoe is completely submerged or it's raining and water runs down my legs. In the latter case, waterproof shoes turn into bowls if I am wearing shorts. When I know there will be rain, I wear pants that I have waterproofed with silicone caulk and mineral spirits (YouTube has several videos that show how to do this). That keeps the water off my legs and, in turn, prevents that water from getting into the shoes.

Wonder if the mineral spirits and silicone work on nylon? I tried 4 coats of the waterproofing fabric spray (I think is silicone), and it did nothing for these nylon boots.

Attachments

• 62D9E607-7FCF-4C0D-B02C-F2A9E6EB7FB4.jpg
    62D9E607-7FCF-4C0D-B02C-F2A9E6EB7FB4.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 16
I work outside and wore my old leather boots (with stitches going out around the heel) to work this morning instead of the new(er), lighter nylon boots that I'd been wearing all summer. Leather stays dry in the wet grass.

I worked outside for many years. The best I can do with leather is to keep them well saturated with mink oil boot grease. By well saturated I mean greasing them every couple of weeks or so.

I worked outside for many years. The best I can do with leather is to keep them well saturated with mink oil boot grease. By well saturated I mean greasing them every couple of weeks or so.

Give Sno Seal a try. It's beeswax based and will generally keep boots waterproof for several months at a time (I get about a year out of my leather boots, but only use them occasionally). I use a hair dryer to help the boots soak up as much as possible.

I've gotta say most people are overthinking this. Wear Gore-Tex shoes when it's wet. Regular shoes when it's dry.

This had been my method for decades. No shoes are waterproof after very long, sometimes I'll use Timberland waterproof hiking shoes along with waterproof socks, sealskins or Rocky's are good brands.

I bought a pair of Merrell MOAB 2 Goretex hikers last summer. Loved them. Played almost every round I played in them because of their support, light weight, and water-proofing. I went camping with them several times in the fall. When I had a broken shoulder and went camping with my kid one weekend in the fall, having to sleep in a chair, I made my kid tie my boots in a triple knot because there was no way I was going to be able to take them on or off over the weekend so I planned to wear them straight thru from Friday afternoon to Sunday, and when I took them off on Sunday afternoon, my feet were still dry and comfortable. I wore them often in the winter... they weren't the warmest, but they were still nice and waterproof. Played a few winter rounds.
Then one day I took them out in the spring to play a round in the morning dew and was dismayed to find that my boots, only 11 months old (but with a lot of wear) leaked like they were crocs. They still have a lot of life in the sole and they still feel great. So I took a sharpie and wrote 2019 on them and bought an identical pair this summer that I only use if it's wet out. I must have just somehow worn into the goretex liner and broke it somewhere, so on dry days I'm still mostly wearing the 2019s, hoping to keep the 2020s dry thru 2021. Who knows, but they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.

Give Sno Seal a try. It's beeswax based and will generally keep boots waterproof for several months at a time (I get about a year out of my leather boots, but only use them occasionally). I use a hair dryer to help the boots soak up as much as possible.

Thanks for the tip. Sno Seal sounds familiar so I may have tried it when my go to went out of business. As it is now, my replacement go to is a just went.