• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gear question(shoes)

Never ceases to amaze me - must have read a dozen different shoe threads and for every 2 or 3people who say they're happy with their Merrells or Keens, someone else's didn't hold up well, and fill in the blank held up better. I realize some folks are just plain harder on their shoes than others, but just reading threads/posts, it's really tough to get a handle on what shoes you should plunk down your hard earned $$$ for. :confused:

My personal experience:
Never wore waterproof shoes before and got a pair of GoreTex hikers (Moabs - wide) just before a big road trip (did not want wet feet to detract from the experience). Played all 3 IDGC courses one very soggy X-mas day (2011), and toward the end of the 3rd round on Warner, I began to feel a bit of moisture around my toes.

I realize no membrane will keep your feet dry if you stand in a puddle, and figured playing 3 fairly long rounds in the rain probably isn't that different - whatd'ya expect? :rolleyes: Wore them for many rounds over the next year and change, but noticed my feet starting to get increasingly wet just from the morning dew in medium length grass during A.M. rounds. Hell, I can wear regular hikers for that - so I went back to REI and asked if they could/would do something about it. They were wearing nicely, and other than being dirty, were in pretty good shape after 14 months of 2-4 rounds a week. Goretex must have broken down or something (not sure how good it was in the first place in retrospect).

REI said they'd work with me but no longer carried Merrell in wide widths (even though they still make them) so I swapped them for a pair of Keen Targhee II's. These shoes run a bit wider , and fit OK despit not being a "wide" width. Been a few months now and so far so good - driest my feet have ever been, and last 4 weeks of league play have been rainy. :(

Two things to note:
1) The Targhees felt good in the store, but after a the first few hours of wearing them that weekend, my feet ached (specifically the muccles in my sole and heel)... took 'em back to REI. Lady said the same thing happened to her the first couple of times she wore them and that your feet just have to get used to them. She was willing to swap 'em if I wanted, but was emphatic I'd be happy once they broke in a bit. I fugured I'd try (knowing I could go back)... she was right - comfort no longer an issue.

2) REI has now limited their return policy (at least on shoes) to 12 months of date of purchase. They gladly swapped my Moabs well after 12 months, because that was the deal when I bought them, but that I only have 12 months from the date I got the Targhees.

Just thought I'd pass that along. Very happy with the Targhee's, but admittedly, haven't had them that long. :|

Last edited:
I just ordered these, you can get them here and use the coupon code LKS1CP2A to get $15 off. Good deal

I got these in and have worn them for a couple of rounds. So far, so good. I walked into work this morning in the rain and walked through a couple shallow puddles. Feet didn't get wet, should be good for morning dew but I'm not expecting anything crazy