• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gear question(shoes)

Heisenberg666

New to these boards(and DG) been playing 3 months or so....I am looking for hiking type shoes that are waterproof! I play really early most days,and dew is still on the grass. By the time I finish two or so holes my feet and toes are soaked. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what kind to buy(or stay away from)? I see "Keen" is a popular brand.....Thanks

I see I posted this in the wrong forum. Can someone move to the equipment section?

Last edited:
Take a look at Merrell moab waterproof and moab xcr(Both are waterproof). Dicks sporting goods have the moab waterproof if there's one close to you. I wanted the Keen delevageas but I don't think they are waterproof. I hate having my feet get wet.

I've bought the Merrel Moabs twice previously. While they were fantastic shoes initially, they didn't last long. I play 3-5 rounds per week and they just didn't hold up and didn't stay waterproof as a result. I've had keens and really loved them though I couldn't find a waterproof style I liked in their current line up.

I bought a pair of these a month ago and couldn't be happier: http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa-pro-3d-ultra-cs-wp.html

If you do go with a pair of salomon's, try to find a store that sells them so you can try them on before you buy, as their sizing is a little goofy. I accidentally bought a pair that was a half size too small based on the sizing guide on their website.

I have had great luck with a couple different Merrill models. I cannot say enough good things.

I also can say that the Merrel Moabs don't hold up for long. Its a shame because if you have a wide foot there are few quality choices.

KEEN, Salomon, Merril, Patagonia, North Face, etc.

Basically anything over a hundred bucks with some sort of Gore-Tex or knock-off should be fine. As a general rule, the more you are willing to spend, the more durable and longer lasting your shoe should be. There are always exceptions of course. I'm sure a search of "shoe" in the equipment subforum will get you all the reviews you could ever want.

I also can say that the Merrel Moabs don't hold up for long. Its a shame because if you have a wide foot there are few quality choices.

Those of us with wide feet have fewer choices in general, unfortunately. I got a pair of Merrel somethings a few months ago and they've been great so far. They aren't Moabs, but I can't think of the name right now. They were like $70 at a big discount shoe place, but they've been as waterproof as I've needed them to be and the soles still look brand new. Also, they fit my wide Hobbit feet, which is the biggest plus of all. For reference, I pretty much only wear New Balance, b/c they're the only manufacturer that I can consistently find in widths.

I also have a pair of Keens, that the wife got me as a present. They look sharp, and are waterproff, but just aren't nearly as comfortable as they should be. Not for me, anyways. If I try to wear them for a round, I'm thinking about my feet after a few holes instead of my game.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12472858&prodFindSrc=cart

I am liking these....I just want comfort and to be dry. GORE-TEX seems to be a better water proofing than the knock-off's

On that same note... picked up a pair of these at dicks they were $90 on clearance but also 25% off all clearance items! They're a little stiffer at first like all form fitting soles, break in at a good rate and have been very waterproof; I played through a doubles tourney in the rain and had no problems. :thmbup:

I am in the Car Wash business and my feet get whet every day. I buy 2 pairs in the spring & 2 pairs in the fall and rotate them each day. I play 3-5 rounds a week and have tried them all. Keen,Merrell,Patagonia,Soloman,Salaewa etc. None of them can make it 12 months and still be waterproof but, every one of them has an excellent return policy. Save your receipt and if the goretex fails send them back and they will send you a new pair of shoes.

If you have a Marshall's in town go there, sometimes they have great shoes cheap. Snagged a pair of Moab waterproofs there for 40 bucks last year.

Also if you want a really great shoe check out 5:10 approach shoes.

If you have a Marshall's in town go there, sometimes they have great shoes cheap. Snagged a pair of Moab waterproofs there for 40 bucks last year.

Those never last long in the store. I keep hearing of finds like that, but never see them. You must have to check the stores often.

Stay away from Merrel Moabs. I've had two pair in the last two years and they don't stay waterproof long and the fake leather just peels apart after about 6 months. This is with light use only.

Stay away from Merrel Moabs. I've had two pair in the last two years and they don't stay waterproof long and the fake leather just peels apart after about 6 months. This is with light use only.

I do hear this from time to time, but I just can not disagree more. I have had such great luck with Merrills. I get out to play about 2 rounds a week and wear them as hiking and knock around boots. I get two years out of them, before the tread wears out. Never had a pair leak. To each their own, but my experience has been different.

Got mine cheap at Shoe Dept. recently. We shall see. Seems like reviews are all over the place. Our concrete pads made short work of my Hi-Teks.

Those never last long in the store. I keep hearing of finds like that, but never see them. You must have to check the stores often.
True I work right next door to one and go there hoping to score a lot. And I do score a lot. It's worth it if you have one close.

I don't like the moabs for disc golf but they are great for hiking.