• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG shoe addicts, share your expertise!

anybody have experience with redwing 6640's? i can waterproof them myself, but i want to hear more about their weight, etc. i have no problem believing they will be incredibly durable so i'd just like to hear a little more. they look sexy too, which is nice. my hikers are just a little heavy, they've lasted for a full season of disc golf plus incredible abuse at a couple jobs over the course of 3-4 years . . . but alas, i think a more athletic fit would benefit me.

they look like they should have velcro instead of laces haha or whatever that notch thing is on the tongue?

i didn't even notice that; wonder if it's an anti-theft device they'd have on it in a store? that is a weird thing on there.

It looks like BOA laces. like on snowboard and wading boots. Might be nice, but might be a pain in the but to keep them laced up how you like them. BOA's seem to get tight up top near the ratchet before they tighten up lower on the foot.

It looks like BOA laces. like on snowboard and wading boots. Might be nice, but might be a pain in the but to keep them laced up how you like them. BOA's seem to get tight up top near the ratchet before they tighten up lower on the foot.

Good call, was wondering what boa meant exactly when I read about the shoes.

I am a little late on this thread but I though I would chime in. I weigh about 285 and I am very hard on shoes. I will post pics up of my teva sandals vs vasque juxt vs my salomon. the vasque are not waterproof but then again they are not suppose to be, unlike my high dollar salomons that leaked 2 weeks in.
IMG_4469_zps753eb0ee.jpg

IMG_4471_zps9c9b95e7.jpg

the picture of the vasque is when they were new. I now have about 20 hard rounds on them with no wear. the teva sandals have just as many rounds as the salomon, around 180 on each. to bad the uppers on the tevas didn't last long with all that torque on them. the vasque juxt sell for 67 bucks on amazon in that color, I will be stocking up. if they are good enough for seal team 6 I am sure a little disc golf wont hurt them. thanks guys

Bought a pair of interesting DG shoes at a local disc golf store. Note: Store has not been open for many years, the owner lets us (me and my father) in because we he knows us well. The shoes seem to be an older pair.
They are:
Vibram Bites.
Logo is a pic of disc with bite taken out of it. The box has climo's sig.

Just looking for some info on these.
-Bridie

Last edited:
I must be easy on shoes. I've been wearing Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultras for like 10 years and never had a problem. I get 1-2 years out of them and have never had a pair delaminate or leak unless they were really beaten up.

Bought a pair of interesting DG shoes at a local disc golf store. Note: Store has not been open for many years, the owner lets us (me and my father) in because we he knows us well. The shoes seem to be an older pair.
They are:
Vibram Bites.

-Bridie
Not made by vibram, just used a virbram sole. Bite was around in 2006-2008 I think. Heard the shoes were decent and actually still see some people wearing them.

I've found that skate shoes are the most comfortable shoes. Their flat soles always give me the best stability. I found this company that makes waterproof shoes/boots designed after skate shoes. Check it!

http://www.forsake.com

They are:
Vibram Bites.

-Bridie

I have a thrashed pair in the garags still! Loved those shoes, a lil on the heavy side but very rugged

I've found that skate shoes are the most comfortable shoes. Their flat soles always give me the best stability. I found this company that makes waterproof shoes/boots designed after skate shoes. Check it!

http://www.forsake.com

those are fr3sh!

I ended up just buying a couple pairs of shoes to be dedicated for DG this year.

I started playing in May and damn DG trashed my shoes. It reminds me of what softball (and baseball when I was younger) does to my shoes: wearing out of the drag toe and sometimes pulling of the upper from the sole. For summer softball leagues I've got dedicated cleats with tuff toe applied (a baseball/trades worker staple).

So I just bought two pairs, one regular trail running shoe, and a GTX trail boot (winter and rain DG) and applied tuff toe (a double layer on the right foot and a touch on the left foot for the occasional forehand). I'm a lefty backhand thrower.

15908509760_747b056fbb_c.jpg

^the shoes' brand is Inov-8 (roclite 243 running shoe and roclite GTX 286 running boot) which are beefy/for trail/XC running but are still very minimal (3mm heel to toe drop). I regularly run races with even lighter more minimal shoes but 7months of disc golf almost killed half of my running shoes lol.

I ended up just buying a couple pairs of shoes to be dedicated for DG this year.

I started playing in May and damn DG trashed my shoes. It reminds me of what softball (and baseball when I was younger) does to my shoes: wearing out of the drag toe and sometimes pulling of the upper from the sole. For summer softball leagues I've got dedicated cleats with tuff toe applied (a baseball/trades worker staple).

So I just bought two pairs, one regular trail running shoe, and a GTX trail boot (winter and rain DG) and applied tuff toe (a double layer on the right foot and a touch on the left foot for the occasional forehand). I'm a lefty backhand thrower.

I took some great advice from these theads, and I've been building up my toe with Shoe Goo. I re-apply every 2 to 4 rounds. It's cheap and easy, and if I re-apply at night, they're ready to use in the morning. It just takes 2 thin layers, applied 3 hrs apart to hold up for at least one round of significant toe dragging.

I'm curious how long Tuff Toe lasts. That stuff looks more like part of the shoe. My black shoes would look a lot better with matching black toes. Does it hold up at least 5 rounds? Is it easy to apply/re-apply?

my tuff toe'd softball cleats lasted me 3 years. I just retired them though. I did the factory dip with my softball cleats (its easy/cheaper when you do it as a team) which always comes out super professional looking.

here's a pic i found of some cole hammels tuff toe'd cleats. it looks like that when you do the expensive factory dip.

attachment.php

I did it myself this time (because I'm cheap.. and knew that the one tube of it was going to be enough for full coverage of two shoes and small coverage of the non/seldom dragged shoe). It came out super sloppy but at least I know I won't kill my shoes playing DG this season.

16094330711_10f90a126f_c.jpg

so one tube of it can do two pairs (two full coverage on the main drag foot, and two smaller coverage on the less dragged foot).

Last edited:
Funny, I was looking at inov-8 myself a while back. I think I'm gonna stick with my vibram five fingers though, and maybe just dip the toes in tough toe. Debris gets caught in between the toes and rips the seams.....you just gave me an idea, thanks!

Funny, I was looking at inov-8 myself a while back. I think I'm gonna stick with my vibram five fingers though, and maybe just dip the toes in tough toe. Debris gets caught in between the toes and rips the seams.....you just gave me an idea, thanks!

Just this summer I trashed two pairs of Puma H Streets, one pair of Mizuno Wave Universe, and these Inov8 Talon 212s (about ready to die) playing disc golf ... :eek:

15911133007_a403504442_c.jpg

The weird part is that most these running shoes have lasted since 2009 when I started running. I was kind of heartbroken because I've ran marathons and a ton of half marathons in them (a lot of good memories). When you do minimalist running your shoes ironically can end up lasting a lot longer (probably thousands of miles on each pair). The uppers of the shoes were probably paper thin and ready to go at any time and couldn't handle DG movement.

So I figured it was smarter to just have some dedicated DG shoes (the boots I can also use for wet/winter hiking) like having softball cleats with pitcher toe added.

Running shoes are great, and waterproof boots for when it's really wet or snowing. But I usually don't wear either...

In good weather, I'm wearing Sanuk's like these. Super comfortable and you can feel the ground really well.

If it's really wet and muddy, I'll wear soccer cleats and throw from the side of the teepad.

Originally bought these for work, required to wear non slip, but found that I really like them for DG, New Balance 626.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 26