• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wet socks

seedlings

* Ace Member *
What socks you wearing when your feet will be wet all day from either water/snow or sweat? Any new materials better than wool?

I prefer toe socks and can't find actual wool, only synthetic wool. No room in my shoes for thick wool socks. I'm hoping there exists a fantastic and well tested wicking sock. Though many socks are marketed that way.

Waterproof boots make my feet sweat, so they will be as wet as if I had worn vented summer shoes.

I don't think there is anything better than wool. Recently got some 80% Merino socks for cheap. Wool stays warm when wet. Wicking is OK for sweat, but it's not made for the goose-poop swamps around here.

These expensive Bombas are thinner, but they feel kinda freaky. Again, wool.

Yesterday in 45 degrees and slush snow sloppy mud I experimented. Instead of wearing clunky waterproof leather boots, I wore socks, plastic bag, socks and light shoes. My feet were soaked from sweat. Bags went up my calf and no way water got in from the top, also the integrity of bags was held (air tight). My feet just sweat. I thought my waterproof boots were leaking before, but it's just sweat. Athletes foot was closing in, but treated…

Smartwool makes some good sicks that aren't thick. I also think Grip 6 started making thin wool socks.

Quality wool socks cost moar than cotton or polyester. You get what you pay for.

No amount of advice about gear or apparel is going to magically fix your sweaty feet problem. Lol.

I don't have an issue keeping my feet warm and dry even in slushy, wet, muddy conditions so I guess I'm blessed.

Now, if you can tell me how to get good footing in those conditions I'm all ears. I hate when bad footing screws with my timing and kills what little distance I normally have.

Yesterday in 45 degrees and slush snow sloppy mud I experimented. Instead of wearing clunky waterproof leather boots, I wore socks, plastic bag, socks and light shoes. My feet were soaked from sweat. Bags went up my calf and no way water got in from the top, also the integrity of bags was held (air tight). My feet just sweat. I thought my waterproof boots were leaking before, but it's just sweat. Athletes foot was closing in, but treated…

That's what we would call vapor barrier. It's strictly survival stuff. Dank, but warm and stewed in your own juice.

Too bad you can't manage thicker wool. It makes for a little slosh in your shoe, but it all drains the moment it gets out of the water and preserves warmth.

I bought some of these recently:

Alvada 80% Merino Wool Hiking Socks Thermal Warm Crew Winter Boot Sock

Thing about a thicker wool sock is that it is going to compress, but that bulk pushes back when you lift your wet foot and draws the moisture away from the foot. It does not stay dry, but warm and less wet is OK.

I had a very early Goretex and then Tripple-Point stuff and it all soaks out when you start getting busy. The pores get clogged and the exhaust stays in and you end up soaked. I've got all sort of wicking thermals and so forth. It's all of a piece. Bottom line? Cotton kills.

Maybe some of those thin Bombas. Got my wife some for xmas. Thin and warm.

No amount of advice about gear or apparel is going to magically fix your sweaty feet problem. Lol.

I don't have an issue keeping my feet warm and dry even in slushy, wet, muddy conditions so I guess I'm blessed.

Now, if you can tell me how to get good footing in those conditions I'm all ears. I hate when bad footing screws with my timing and kills what little distance I normally have.

Very understable discs and gentle throws, lol.

Can't say what to do about swamp feet. Maybe powder?

In my Army days, I'd wear dress/nylon socks under the wool socks to prevent blisters. Lycra/nylon based socks are good for that as well.

The Army also tells you to take care of your feet and carry a change of socks.

Did the plastic bread bags as a kid. If the boots are working (waterproof) then the bags are going to make the swamp foot worse.

With regard for traction, when we get snow, it tends to thaw and freeze and become icy slick. Football style cleats are awesome for that condition. That's not deep snow though.

You couldn't do a full motion power throw, but it beats slipping.

Liners may help (like for hiking). Keeps the layer contacting your skin very thin. Also, dumb as it sounds, a quality antiperspirant might help.

Several changes of socks may work, but that's inconvenient I know.

Liners may help (like for hiking). Keeps the layer contacting your skin very thin. Also, dumb as it sounds, a quality antiperspirant might help.

Several changes of socks may work, but that's inconvenient I know.

your feet are not inconvenient.

;)

What socks you wearing when your feet will be wet all day from either water/snow or sweat? Any new materials better than wool?

I prefer toe socks and can't find actual wool, only synthetic wool. No room in my shoes for thick wool socks. I'm hoping there exists a fantastic and well tested wicking sock. Though many socks are marketed that way.

Waterproof boots make my feet sweat, so they will be as wet as if I had worn vented summer shoes.

I have always worn waterproof footwear. But a discin bud of mine bought some waterproof socks and swears by them. Might be worth checking into. I think they can be a bit pricey but maybe worth it.

The best pair of shoes and socks is an EXTRA pair of shoes and socks. As long as my shoes are weather appropriate I just go in and accept getting wet and playing in it and being used to it. Dry shoes and socks for the second go around is the way to go.

You're welcome, although several other brands were listed before my post.

You are correct. Somehow I missed this post, my apologies!

Smartwool makes some good sicks that aren't thick. I also think Grip 6 started making thin wool socks.

Quality wool socks cost moar than cotton or polyester. You get what you pay for.

You're either going to sweat or be wet. Sorry, but wool is the answer.

I like Darn Tough socks. Many weights (thicknesses) available.

Only brand of socks I have bought over the last many, many years. Can't vouch for how they are in the winter since I do not play till it warms up, but I have used them in Gortex socks and they are very good.

Darn Tough are nice but Smartwool makes socks in many different thicknesses. today I stood outside with kids at school and the temp was 0-18F. a half hour of standing in Soloman boots and not an issue. walking the dog even less so. I will take great socks and mediocre shoes over mediocre socks and great shoes ANY day as well.

and yes, I work at a school where we take kids out EVERY fricking day.:)

Latest posts