• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Waterproof Socks

I wear lightweight runners wool blend socks in the summer and medium weight hiking wool blend socks in the winter. If it is super cold, I wear wool hunting socks.

I have tried different brands but I like "Fit" socks the best.

I agree that water proof socks are a bad idea, so are water proof shoes in most situations. The times that a water proof shoe would be helpful, one should be wearing boots anyway.

Since you mentioned it, why are water proof shoes a bad idea? I play a lot of early morning rounds, so there is usually dew on the grass and my hikers and socks get soaked.
I've gotten use to it, but was thinking of going to water proof shoes with my next purchase.

Since you mentioned it, why are water proof shoes a bad idea? I play a lot of early morning rounds, so there is usually dew on the grass and my hikers and socks get soaked.
I've gotten use to it, but was thinking of going to water proof shoes with my next purchase.

I use them a lot. The issue is they hold sweat in as well as they hold water out. You can get wet socks while not allowing water in through the boot. Good wicking socks help keep you feet drier though.

As someone who golfs where it rains like 200 days a year, I'll give a +1 for wool socks. Even the Kirkland wool blend from Costco work fine. I do have one pair of smart wool and they're amazing.

The Kirkland trail socks from CostCo was going to be my recommendation, too. I'm sure you can find something of a slightly higher quality, but 4 pairs for $15ish is impossible to beat.

Waterproof = doesn't breathe. And the waterproofing will eventually fail.

Wool insulates even when wet.

This would be why the backpackers I know (including myself) mostly don't use waterproof running shoes.

I do own a pair of sealskins socks. They are waterproof. They are hot. They don't breathe. They do, occasionally, have their place though.

They are wool blend though, so they are not as good when wet. At least, the pairs I have aren't.

Most "wool" socks are wool blends (even Darn Tough and Smartwool). What matters is the % content of wool and what it's blended with. Not saying you can't find 100% wool socks... they're out there, but you really gotta look for them, and I'm not so sure the really outperform the better wool blends.

Most "wool" socks are wool blends (even Darn Tough and Smartwool). What matters is the % content of wool and what it's blended with. Not saying you can't find 100% wool socks... they're out there, but you really gotta look for them, and I'm not so sure the really outperform the better wool blends.

You're correct. I should have been more clear, the blend they use is not as warm when wet as my smartwools, or darn toughs, etc. They're cheaper, but also for a reason.

I have pure wool socks, those are the super cold weather hunting socks. One can get those at most outfitters, bass pro and even Wal-Mart the correct time of year.

Pure wool is not as comfortable as they tend to bunch and wrinkle. The 5% percent or so of spandex in Fit socks make so much more comfortable.

I agree with you that 100 percent wool doesn't really make them perform better; it's the sheer thickness that does.

In addition to what has already been said.

Waterproof shoes tend to be less flexible, making them more likely to rub.

If one steps into a puddle taller than the shoe, one is walking in a swimming pool until one finds a dry place to remove the shoe and drain it.

Boots are better as they tend to be taller so water dies not run in. Well waxed leather is not water proof but most people are not going to stand in water for the amount of time that it will require the water to seep in.

There are water resistant shoes that are designed to wick water away instead of being water proof. Those are a happy compromise for dewy mornings or light rain.

The big drawback with boots for disc golf is that they restrict one's range of movement. Nothing is perfect.

Last edited:
I wear SmartWool socks when disc golfing. I forget the model, they are relatively thin.
My wife picked up some Carolina Ultimate Outdoor Obsession socks for <$10 a pair at meijer. They are 80% merino wool, 17% nylon and 3% spandex. The socks are pretty thick. I'm going to try them out next time I play when it's cold.

There are water resistant shoes that are designed to wick water away instead of being water proof. Those are a happy compromise for dewy mornings or light rain.

This. Also Waterproof shoes are slightly warmer, they'll buy you about 10 degrees or so, they're nice on days in the 40s that are a bit chilly for regular runners but you don't wanna wear boots. They are a nice compromise.

Mostly Smartwool, Omniwool or running socks, but I have used Sealskins or Goretex oversocks in rainy winter conditions at Milo and other NW courses. Granted, you sweat in them, but it's a lot more comfortable than a constant soaking of cold water. Waterproof shoes on occasion, but their pros/cons have been documented well here already.

Last edited:
If I'm wearing waterproof boots or socks I'll be treating my feet with a spray antiperspirant. When I wear waterproof boots, I'll be wearing wool (Omniwool) socks with a nylon liner. When I'm wearing waterproof socks, (Randy's) I'll be wearing breathable boots.

No bread bags mentioned?

knee high SealSkins with a light sock under are my bullet proof choice. Too warm for fast no stops disc though. Allows me to use a running style hiking shoe, never liked boots or high tops much.

Otherwise heavy 100% wool which are pretty much daily wear October to April. If a heavy wool sock gets soaked I can tough through it or change to fresh ones using dry part of the wet ones to dry my feet.

No socks, sneakers with scuppers (i.e. mesh / totally breathable) and pretend you're playing in a stream. Fear not the wet feet....

I have both Smartwool and REI outlet brand. They are both great, with the REI brand being a bit cheaper. Not waterproof but wicking and warm. I have a friend who loves Sealskins. They are on my Christmas list, so here's hoping!

No bread bags mentioned?.

Ya know, I used bread bags when cycle commuting in Seattle in the early '90s. Eventually I realized that an hour on the bicycle (each way) kept me plenty warm that just wet feet were better than stinky wet feet and I quit using them. Also the same time I pioneered socks with Tevas (well, in Seattle. We were actually wearing that combo when guiding on the Ocoee in the late '80s.)