• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Putters - Type of Disc

I think push putters tend to use stiff putters because Feldberg said it reduces wobble.

Whether he meant for just push putting is up for debate.

I think spin putters tend to use whatever they want. I don't know anyone who has said that soft putters are better than stiff for spin putting. Rather, people argue that spin putters can use soft putters withou wobble, and some people feel that they grab chains better or don't bounce or roll as readily as stiff putters.

I don't know anyone who has said that soft putters are better than stiff for spin putting.

I guess you don't really know me, nor am I a touring pro, but I will say that softer putters are better for spin putting than stiffer ones. I've known a lot of really good spin putters, and they all use a putter that is on the soft side. The first pro I ever met (Larry Labond) spin putted with an 86 Softie. I know really good guys who use soft Magnets (ironically the stiffer softies), JK Aviars, and even Wizards that are beaten to soft (even if they started kind of stiff).

Personally my style is kind of a hybrid and I use regular/M Anodes and Ions, but I can put more snap/spin on my putt and when I do the soft Ions work much better. They hold their altitude on long line drives because they take spin better. The harder ones are more difficult to keep spinning fast enough not to drop. I suspect it has either something to do with being able to really pinch the softer ones while gripping, therefore adding more spin, or if it's something about the flight characteristics of softer discs.

I realize putters are all about personal preference...I was just curious what other people that spin put are using/liking

Looks like when I get some extra cash I am going to check out a soft ion

I spin putt with soft ions and soft/medium summits.

To be honest, the medium summit is as stiff as I will go. I like getting a nice bounce on the flight plate during my release on longer putts.

I use R-Pro Tanks for when i spin putt. They have over sstability and are still nice and soft once they bet used a little =) Amazing disc IMO

Until last summer, I exclusively putted with a Gumbputt, and the wobble on a push-putt at 20-30 ft. was so great it could have blended a margaritta on the way to the basket.
So I got a P Ryhno and an RP Dart. Now my push putts are 95%+ out to 25 ft., and distance/accuracy is still improving.
Meanwhile I still spin putt 40+ feet out, and with spin the Gumbputt still works best on 60+ ft. spike hyzers, quick rotation tommys, or gotta-stop-on-a-dime layups.

I use both a spin putt, and a pitch putt, depending on the situation. I have used a soft Voodoo since day one. When it come to Gateway plastics, though, "soft" means pretty stiff.

I use both styles as well and prefer the ss for spin putting and a soft for pitching

Latest posts