• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Stable bomber? Suggestions please

I have similar arm/distance to the OP. I throw a lot of Wraiths and had similar experiences that were noted with the Renegade.

A note on the Wraiths: your seasoned star might still be too OS, but if you find one that has more dome and/or lower PLH it will be closer to what you're looking for. Also, an echo Wraith will season faster than regular star, and might sit in that perfect spot between the OS star and the pro (which tend to get really flippy in my experiences).

I currently bag a beat flatter Wraith that is good for straight lines, and a pop-top Wraith that flips quite a bit for hyzerflip and high S-curve lines. Both have similar distance potential of ~360' consistently, pushing up to 400' but inconsistent at that range. I also bag a new bottom stamp star Wraith that covers my OS distance slot, but it doesn't have nearly that much distance potential unless I put it out there on a big anhyzer.

Good to know that beat Star Wraiths can still be pretty stable. I've gotten mine on some nice tight S lines before but it doesn't always want to flip past flat. I have no problem cycling Pro wraiths for the slot I'm looking for, as long as it is capable of getting to that spot.

All of your bagged wraiths are star?

Also, regarding the renegade, did it flat-out bomb, just too much rightward movement?

Good to know that beat Star Wraiths can still be pretty stable. I've gotten mine on some nice tight S lines before but it doesn't always want to flip past flat. I have no problem cycling Pro wraiths for the slot I'm looking for, as long as it is capable of getting to that spot.

All of your bagged wraiths are star?

Also, regarding the renegade, did it flat-out bomb, just too much rightward movement?

Right now all 3 of my Wraiths in the bag are Star.
I'm perfectly happy to use Echo interchangeably with Star for the Stable/US slots, but all of my Echo's are green. With springtime just around the corner I am working green discs out of my bag because they are hard to find in the foliage.

If you're comfortable with the Pro, then go for it. I had a few bad experiences with high-speed Pro drivers over the years (Katana, Destroyer) but that might have been my own bad form and not the fault of the discs.

Regarding the Renegade: yes, it flipped a lot and flew very far. (I throw RHFH so for me that was leftward movement.) With enough height it would eventually come back to fade for some major distance, but those throws were crazy pop fly S-curves. I tried to hyzerflip it but it was too touchy and inconsistent. Not very practical on the disc golf course.

Really the Renegade wasn't that different from my flippiest Wraith, BUT that was after about 10 rounds and maybe 70 total throws. It started out basically neutral flying a tight S, but got super flippy in just a few weeks. I felt like it would be unusable in a few more weeks.

I haven't thrown a Renegade, but what you both are describing sounds a lot like a Champ Katana I used to have. Nice dome, and somewhat foggy as opposed to clear. That thing would go so far, but was so hard to control consistently. I eventually lost it for that very reason, but it was already replaced by a Crank that got almost the same distance but was way more consistent. (This was also RHFH, by the way. I haven't started using anything over speed 10-11 for backhand.)

Although it probably isn't the most ideal answer, a beat in OS driver is an absolute dream to throw flat and watch it drift left, hold that line, and then fade in the last 20 feet or so. I've got a beat bio defender that is money in that spot right now. I'd recommend getting a couple pro wraiths and let them cycle in (throw one until it gets flippy before you grab the other one) all the while beating the crap out of that star... give it a little love and a little time and it will be your favorite disc.

I throw around the same distance as you,
I used to throw wraiths and switched to photons which I fell in love with. I also throw a champion Tern but wanted something in between the Photon and Tern so I picked up a Streamline Trace. It was love at first throw. If you want to try a new disc I would highly suggest a lighter weight Trace.

Jonesporo is coming so I say Prodiscus SLAIDi is a great for this purpose. Longer than Wraiht and Ultrium plastic is still the best in business.

Threw the star shryke for the first time today during a casual round. First toss was money, flipped flat, tracked right and faded back slightly left of center. Hit the cage on my birdie bid (on a hole I've never birdied). Went about 365' with a mild R>L wind.

Tried it in a pretty good tailwind and it didn't flip. The renegade is relegated to tailwind duties because it does still crush in that situation.

Will need some more time and throws with the shryke but that first toss showed a lot of promise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aright, figured I'd come back with some updates after all the great suggestions here.

First thing is that I've made a couple small form tweaks that have me reaching 370-375 pretty consistently (still needs work of course). That said, I'll share my experiences below with a handful of drivers I've been auditioning. (Spoiler alert: Star wraith FTW).

- I threw the renegade about 400' on a straight, tight S turn in a good tailwind the other day. The thing just crushes in a tailwind.
The hole is a 430' par 3 with OB right. I had about a circle's edge putt (first time I've had a legit putt on that hole, but of course the tailwind shot my putter down into the pole)

- The star shryke is fun to throw and I love the glide/distance potential, but it does like to wander right a bit, and it burned me in a headwind. I should've known better. :doh: Note that I did pick the one with the lowest PLH, YMMV. I still plan on bagging it because I love the grippy/gummy star plastic it's in and it will be good for slight tailwinds and open distance. I'm interested in trying a champ shryke or a higher PLH star for S&G.

- Academy sports sent me a $10 coupon last week, so I went and bought a Champion Tern. 175g, fairly flat and low profile. Don't know if this is normal in this mold or not. Also this tern is a stiffer champ plastic than the "jolly launcher" that has been around, which is kind of disappointing. Me no like stiff champion. Anyways, this disc freakin' moves. Loooong with a hint of turn and a gentle fade. I need more time with it but it's a lot of fun to throw. Just zips down there. It flies way straighter and longer than I expected, I was anticipating it to be more flippy. I will definitely hang on to this one, just need to experiment more with it.

- I traded for a fuzion trespass on the MP last week, and it flies nice and straight, with a decent fade at the end. Kind of a similar line to the champ tern, maybe not quite as long. Will keep this in the bag for sure and will keep trying it out.

- On to my star wraiths. I have that one that is beat and it bombs. Still has a nice reliable fade after a good bit of flip up and turnover. I have another that is not as beat, flies a slightly tighter S but every bit as long. Nice reliable, forward fade. The last is a bit fresher and it went 365' in a light headwind. Held straight most of the flight.

Sorry for the novel, but I figured some others would be interested in my experiences with some popular molds, some old vs. some new(er).

TL;DR - Star Wraiths will be the core of my distance drivers for now, they bomb and they're dependable. I must admit though that I'm a distance driver junkie and will probably keep trying other molds in that one or two extra slots next to my wraiths just for the hell of it.
Cheers

Are my experiences with the champ tern pretty standard? I'm wondering if a more OS tern exists in the event one would want to cycle them.

Typically the domey Champs are more OS than the flat ones but that is common in glidey/understable molds.
For OS discs the opposite is true flatter discs are more OS.

Are my experiences with the champ tern pretty standard? I'm wondering if a more OS tern exists in the event one would want to cycle them.

Champion Glow Terns are great, but I really like the DDX. It's a Tern with the Discmania top. Feels like a Tern, flips up with a gentle turn and a reliable, forward fade. Has the signature Tern glide. C-Line is perfect and S-Line flies pretty similar to a Champion Tern. They both bomb. However, they do not hold up in a stiff headwind.

Champion Glow Terns are great, but I really like the DDX. It's a Tern with the Discmania top. Feels like a Tern, flips up with a gentle turn and a reliable, forward fade. Has the signature Tern glide. C-Line is perfect and S-Line flies pretty similar to a Champion Tern. They both bomb. However, they do not hold up in a stiff headwind.

That's kinda what I was thinking and why one would probably not cycle them. I had a S-line DDX a while back that I traded but I've gained a bit of distance since then. May have to revisit.

That's kinda what I was thinking and why one would probably not cycle them. I had a S-line DDX a while back that I traded but I've gained a bit of distance since then. May have to revisit.

As much as I love the DDx, I find myself using my Wraiths or my Terns much more often. I always keep one high PLH S-Line DDx in the bag though for that in-between slot of my Terns and Wraiths. I'm a mold minimalist and in my head it's acceptable to keep the DDx in the bag because it's a Tern-X or Tern Pro or Tern OS or whatever you want to say.

It's certainly worth picking up again.

Nothing wrong with Wraiths. Enjoy.

I have a 175 Champ Tern that's somewhat similar to yours, so I'm not surprised. It seems to be a bit more sensitive to poor form or OAT, but it is definitely NOT flippy. Tends to do better for me in a headwind as well, at least when compared to slightly slower discs like a Beast. If you're looking for a more overstable variation, I'll just echo the DDx suggestion. I haven't thrown one, but "more overstable Tern" seems to be the sales pitch. Part of the reason I haven't tried one, though, is that my champion does the job just fine.

I feel that the Wraiths are just going to be more consistent overall, and in different conditions. Nothing wrong with having a Tern and/or Shryke in the bag for bomber situations, but I think a variety of stabilities with less punishment on small errors is a little easier with the Wraiths.

Do you notice much distance difference between the Wraiths and Trespass? Also the Gstar Destroyer is right in this stability range as well if you are ok with that plastic...the domey ones bomb.

Tern. The end.

Pretty much my sentiment. I'm pairing a Champion Shryke with my Star Tern... the C-Shryke for when the wind is beating my face and for downhill bombs (and yes, it bombs in those conditions, even for noodle-armed me); and the Star Tern for tailwinds and calm conditions. I'm getting the most consistent long distance with the Tern.