• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stand-still throwing for practice

Thanks for the vid, I have been trying to up my control and release lately and have gone solely putter and stand still only. I will be sure to take some of your tips with me next time I play.

Thanks for the vid, man. I use the stand still throw a lot, especially when I need controlled throws with around 200 max D for the throw. one question I have for you is, how is your knee and do you have any problems with it from that kind of throwing? I see from the video you don't really pivot on the front foot, which causes a lot of torque on the knee and related tendons and ligaments. I'm a big guy like you, and I seriously injured my right knee doing something similar in Tae Kwon Do when I was 15 years younger. I now MUST add the pivot with all my throws, or else risk throwing out my knee, but I didn't see you doing it. is that the way the throw goes for you, or is that just an oversight on my part? All I can suggest is, as the old song from the 90's goes, take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.

Thanks for the vid, man. I use the stand still throw a lot, especially when I need controlled throws with around 200 max D for the throw. one question I have for you is, how is your knee and do you have any problems with it from that kind of throwing? I see from the video you don't really pivot on the front foot, which causes a lot of torque on the knee and related tendons and ligaments. I'm a big guy like you, and I seriously injured my right knee doing something similar in Tae Kwon Do when I was 15 years younger. I now MUST add the pivot with all my throws, or else risk throwing out my knee, but I didn't see you doing it. is that the way the throw goes for you, or is that just an oversight on my part? All I can suggest is, as the old song from the 90's goes, take care of your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.

In the video it looks like he is countering this by actually spinning on his plant heel, I could be wrong, but that was my impression :)

Im solely a Standstill BH thrower and have serious knee problems. The standstill throw has helped me counteract a lot of those knee issues (right knee) by reducing the torque i put on my knees, and even though I have the knee issues I still am a good distance thrower.

Good video! I'm working on throwing exclusively from a standstill for the time
being because I realized I've been throwing completely wrong for about 9 months and now have to relearn how to throw...not good.

Im solely a Standstill BH thrower and have serious knee problems. The standstill throw has helped me counteract a lot of those knee issues (right knee) by reducing the torque i put on my knees, and even though I have the knee issues I still am a good distance thrower.

OK, good point, but in your throw, do you plant the right foot and let your body momentum drag that plant foot around, or do you pivot on the ball of the foot with the momentum of the throw, is I guess what I'm getting at? I do that for fear of further knee trouble, but I think it may be robbing me of some further D on the throw. That's kinda my impetus in posting. I saw the foot come around in the vid, but it seemed that was more a reflex from the momentum of the motion, as opposed to a planned execution of a pivot.

Good video! I'm working on throwing exclusively from a standstill for the time
being because I realized I've been throwing completely wrong for about 9 months and now have to relearn how to throw...not good.

I agree with that. I did this about 6 months ago and have added 75 feet to my throw by rebuilding my form from the stand still position (I followd the thread about "from the hit", I think it was called), and as mentioned still use it for approach shots and drives under 200, as it's just more accurate. I get more D with a run up, but lose a lot of accuracy.

Well when I am on the course, I purposefully wear a pair of Nike Free running shoes. They're light weight and have a sole that allows my foot to slide across grass. But to address the question from a technique standpoint, my foot kinda spins over on the outside ball of my foot. It doesn't happen in the video mostly because of A) the shoes I am wearing and B) the concrete. But good question. I hope that helps!

This guy can throw a mile! Standstill is his thing, listen carefully to this cat.
How far can u throw gcr? 550?

This guy can throw a mile! Standstill is his thing, listen carefully to this cat.
How far can u throw gcr? 550?

I won a distance competition at a local unsanctioned event last year at 525'. I definitely don't get them out that far regularly, but I have more distance now, so I bet I could pull off a little more than that with the right conditions and a little luck.

I agree with that. I did this about 6 months ago and have added 75 feet to my throw by rebuilding my form from the stand still position (I followd the thread about "from the hit", I think it was called), and as mentioned still use it for approach shots and drives under 200, as it's just more accurate. I get more D with a run up, but lose a lot of accuracy.

Anybody got a link to this thread? I searched and came up empty

Latest posts