• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Eagle L

Yeah I'll take more please. Only ones I have ever seen were max weight and white. Now I may actually have to go to Infinite to thumb through them instead of looking online for max whites.

I will say my star L almost seems like a 2nd run fd to me. Higher PLH than any of my EL's (I have G*, champ and dx) and is more stable than some fresh star 175g x's I have (they are the gummy ones).

I go through phases of throwing my Star L and a G* with an FD2 and sometimes I just bag X's and Banshees. Seems to work out either way. I have a nicely beaten Star X that is a bomber, and I bet that beefy L will turn out the same.

Any of the other star L's seem beefier than they should to anyone?

Last edited:
As an aside, at the store one of the Eagle Xs have the weight written underneath with s/EX, whereas my -L had *E written on it. I don't know how common that designation on the underside is (for the Xs).

In the old days star eagles were marked "sex". Someone must have gotten uptight and complained. Markings now vary but *E is pretty common on star eagles now.

In the old days star eagles were marked "sex". Someone must have gotten uptight and complained. Markings now vary but *E is pretty common on star eagles now.

Someone definitely complained because a lot of the SEX Eagles at Innova East were manually changed. I have a lot of SEX marked discs where the S was written over with an asterisks so they look like super messy *EX. I've also seen newer runs marked S.eX

I was at the local shop today & they had 4-5 of the Star L's. They all had flight numbers. Are these worth anything or is Innova pumping these out & not telling anybody? I can't believe they would do that :cool:

I think they are now pumping them out since I saw the same thing a month or so ago.

Now what does the eagle L do now? I bought the eagle x thinking more os. But it had been so damn long since I had thrown them that they really didn't kick anything out of my bag.

Got them in gstar which means they will be in the winter bag depending on the course played.

No winter plastic in the Saint Pros yet with the eagle x's similar flight they have grabbed that slot.

Last edited:
i wonder if this has anything to do with the popularity of Patriots. :thmbup:

things-that-make-you-go-hmmm-00111.jpg

I always thought the Patriot was closer to an Eagle L than a Leopard

Yea a Patriot is definitely closer to an Eagle than a Leopard. I heard the Patriot mold was an old Eagle-L mold from Innova but the specs on the PDGA website don't match, so who knows.

How domey are these star ELs turning out? I'm interested in trying one, but not if they are mega dome. Especially if they are beefy.

I have one from last year so can't comment on the colored ones but my white is just average for dome, not pancake flat but well within what I consider nice and not too domey. The nose on mine matches up with the circle stamp champs and flies very stable, much more stable than my older pat# champ L molds.

If they are anything like mine they are great discs, the only domey L's I have seen in the last few years have been the lighter (mid 160's) G*'s, they easily had twice the dome that the max weights have.

How domey are these star ELs turning out? I'm interested in trying one, but not if they are mega dome. Especially if they are beefy.

My Star Eagle-L is not flat but it's not very domey at all. And my Star Eagle-L is not what I would call "beefy", either. It certainly fades like it's supposed to, but it's not going to be mistaken for a Firebird or XCal....

When I say beefy I am meaning more Banshee than Firebird or XCal (I could never throw an XCal anyways). Mine is at least 20' shorter than my other Eagle's. I get my Eagles 320' on golf lines and that star eagle L is usually under 300'. Have not thrown it in any good wind though so not sure how it behaves at higher speeds.

I'll try to get some pics that show the difference, it has a lot beefier nose than most of my Eagles X or L.

picture.php

Left is a pat# champ L, right is star L. Easy to see the lower PLH on the pat# and that the nose is less blunt.

picture.php

Left is a Circle Stamp Champ X, right is the star L. Pretty close nose shape and PLH. Dome is also similar between the two, lower dome than the pat# champ L.

Overall I rate my Star L as between a fresh circle stamp and a fresh star X. Star L looks a lot like my G* L's but with a higher PLH and maybe a tad beefier nose.

Revival

Picking this one back up post-Christmas 2017.

I got one!! A brand new star Eagle with the L rim configuration. I've stuck a couple pictures here as well, but it's a little tough to see the rims. The orange disc is a Champion Eagle-X, nothing too special, nice opaque champ plastic, 12x KC stamp. The EL is clearly brand new, regular star material, standard flag foil Star Eagle stamp, marked "175 *E" on the back, scale weighed 175g. It's got just a hint of orange in the front of the flight plate. I got it from Infinite Discs for like $14.

It's really obvious by comparing the rim that it's not an EX. If my research is right, it'll likely be slightly beefier than the X at first, but season into a lovely straight flyer. I'll get back to the thread after next season and let you all know how it's flying then, assuming I can manage to keep track of it.

It's -10 in Minnesota right now, I'm watching 2016 USDGC and horribly upset that I can't go play right now.

Attachments

• 20171230_174708.jpg
    20171230_174708.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20171230_174928.jpg
    20171230_174928.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20171230_174944.jpg
    20171230_174944.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 36
Yep definitely an EL. A Star EL thrown correctly can yield almost Destroyer distance.

Latest posts