• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starter discs for Ultimate players

headrick-er

Par Member
I've been asked to recommend some discs (driver, mid, putter) for someone who has a long background in Ultimate, but who now wants to take up DG. I've never played Ultimate, but I've read on here that they are used to throwing anhyzer. Is that true?

Typically, I'd suggest discs such as Teebird, Roc, Aviar (or their equivalents from other companies). Does that change in this situation?

I'm not sure the Teebird is a great beginner driver. I'd recommend a DX Cheetah or D Cyclone over a Teebird.

I was an Ultimate player that moved to disc golf and the Cheetah was the easiest to throw, most reliable driver I started with.

garublador said:
I'm not sure the Teebird is a great beginner driver. I'd recommend a DX Cheetah or D Cyclone over a Teebird.

I was an Ultimate player that moved to disc golf and the Cheetah was the easiest to throw, most reliable driver I started with.

No, not even in DX? Just curious, why not?

sharkthrower said:
garublador said:

takes pretty good form to throw a teebird well
especially dx

uNicedmeMan said:
sharkthrower said:
garublador said:

takes pretty good form to throw a teebird well
especially dx

Ok, please help me correct my thinking then.

That reason was exactly why I'd suggest a teebird - it makes you focus on proper form right from the get-go. Now, I'm in no way the guru most of you are, so what is wrong with that line of thought?

Lids and moderately understable drivers. I made the transition. My best friend was a #2 upshot for the longest time. I'd also suggest discs with lots of glide, stingray, assassin, discs like that. Ultimate players use a lot of touch in their throws and like to "work" the disc.

Aaron

sharkthrower said:
That reason was exactly why I'd suggest a teebird - it makes you focus on proper form right from the get-go. Now, I'm in no way the guru most of you are, so what is wrong with that line of thought?
Because your friend won't have much fun throwing 100-foot knife hyzers all day.

The Teebird isn't very forgiving. If it gets turned over it will just flip and crash, it's farily high speed stable so it's not all that easy to flip to flat and it's not very versatile so it's difficult to learn to throw different lines with it. It's a lot easier to learn by figuring out how to throw kind of well and then improve incrementally than it is to just be awesome from the get-go.

well, the tb is good at revealing form flaws but it will be too frustrating for someone who can *never* make it fly right, which could lead to bad form. e.g. for the newbie who always throws nose-up, they *might* learn nose-down by throwing a teebird but otoh they might throw it annie instead. or switch to a destroyer after they plateau at 200'.

garublador said:
The Teebird isn't very forgiving. If it gets turned over it will just flip and crash, it's farily high speed stable so it's not all that easy to flip to flat and it's not very versatile so it's difficult to learn to throw different lines with it. It's a lot easier to learn by figuring out how to throw kind of well and then improve incrementally than it is to just be awesome from the get-go.

Thank you, that was the reasoning I was looking for. So I'll nix the TB.

mark12b said:
well, the tb is good at revealing form flaws but it will be too frustrating for someone who can *never* make it fly right, which could lead to bad form. e.g. for the newbie who always throws nose-up, they *might* learn nose-down by throwing a teebird but otoh they might throw it annie instead. or switch to a destroyer after they plateau at 200'.

Also thank you. I was looking at the TB in the way someone who has experience playing would, and what it could do to help that person. I neglected to look at it in the way that a newbie would.

So, on the other side - no misgivings about the roc or aviar, right?

garublador said:
sharkthrower said:
So, on the other side - no misgivings about the roc or aviar, right?
Well, you know how we feel about Wizards around here ;) but no. Those discs should be fine.

Yup, it's the reason I own a few. :lol:

You could try a Comet and a Rattler if they find the roc and aviar annoying to work with. Both fly a lot more similarly to normal frisbees and ultimate lids than a lot of other golf discs would.

It depends on whether they just want to go out and play or if they want to learn to throw golf discs. If the discs are too similar to lids there won't be much of a benefit of learning to throw them if they're already proficient with lids. They might as well just throw Ultrastars.