• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

States, Metros with the best DG Scene?

Bowling green, KY. They have so many courses in such a small area, but they are all good courses. Nashville, TN has a bunch of courses within 30 miles with a great dg store in Cloud9. Not only that but BG and Nashville is only a hour apart.

Ha, there are a bunch of these threads. Have to mention Charlotte, and while I've never been a bunch of people will mention Austin.

Boo!!! you are trying to suppress my free speech by hiding my posts in large established threads.

Quiet, you. lulz.

Atlanta looks pretty amazing, I've never been but I'll be in Augusta in May, hopefully I'll have enough time to hit Flyboy and a couple others.

Minneapolis/St Paul. Many of these courses in the area were developed before or around the Invention of the Disc Golf Basket Mach I. In fact one or two courses are still the old Cone Holes. Another course old course from the 1970's to early 1980's has the old homemade baskets made from parts of a device that is used in feeding some kind of livestock that round and disc golf shaped, a pole, and some chain.

Way to dredge this thread up. Back in 2011 what they said about Chicagoland was true, now not so much. A few courses have spring up and are continuing to spring up in the Burbs that have changed the scene greatly. Squaw Creek/Fairfield redesign by Chuck Kennedy, The Canyons, Rolling Knolls in Elgin, Walnut Hallow. Dana Vicich doing work.

Grand Rapids, Portland, Charlotte are all really good(heck of a necro btw but the info is pretty much all new now.

I also feel that even with the loss of Flyboy Atlanta is pretty high. Hobbs Farm is a Star, boundary waters has two fantastic 18s, Etowah is a fun technical play, and we still have Oregon Park, a redesigned Deer Lick, Perkerson, Wills(GAs oldest existing course), East Roswell, Hunter, White Oak is fairly revitalized and Frog Rock that are all at least a 3 and several are 4+.

Sedgley Woods, Stafford Woods are close to each other and are amazing. Sedgley has more people since it's in a big park in Philly. People are always helpful to new players. It's a tight 27 hole course with 3 tees, easy medium hard.

Stafford is very upkept and my second favorite course I visit. Very organized. Less crowded.

Since the 2011 necro-bump, Charlotte has broadened its appeal a bit. The number of tourney-level courses built and maintained by the Charlotte Disc Golf Club has grown from five to 18 (19th on the way), with Club membership growing from 120 to more than 500 this year. Within 60 minutes driving distance of Charlotte there are now 162 courses listed, which doesn't include a number of stellar private courses.

Since the 2011 necro-bump, Charlotte has broadened its appeal a bit. The number of tourney-level courses built and maintained by the Charlotte Disc Golf Club has grown from five to 18 (19th on the way), with Club membership growing from 120 to more than 500 this year. Within 60 minutes driving distance of Charlotte there are now 162 courses listed, which doesn't include a number of stellar private courses.

Why in the hell are there no NT/Majors/DGPT events in Charlotte??? So many amazing courses.

Grand Rapids, Portland, Charlotte are all really good(heck of a necro btw but the info is pretty much all new now.

I also feel that even with the loss of Flyboy Atlanta is pretty high. Hobbs Farm is a Star, boundary waters has two fantastic 18s, Etowah is a fun technical play, and we still have Oregon Park, a redesigned Deer Lick, Perkerson, Wills(GAs oldest existing course), East Roswell, Hunter, White Oak is fairly revitalized and Frog Rock that are all at least a 3 and several are 4+.

Grand Rapids????? Really? There are 5 or 6 "metro" areas in Michigan alone that are better.

Grand Rapids????? Really? There are 5 or 6 "metro" areas in Michigan alone that are better.

Just the places I've traveled and played, not a native, you may well know much better.

Why in the hell are there no NT/Majors/DGPT events in Charlotte??? So many amazing courses.

Those things require more than just amazing courses.

Not to say that Charlotte doesn't have the staffing to pull such events off...as has been stated, Am Worlds just last year, Pro Worlds 6 years ago, and the USDGC barely outside the metro area (what, a 25 minute drive?) every year. But perhaps they don't have the interest or desire to pull off that level of event every year.

It's a fair question, and one frequently discussed at our Board level. One issue is the amount of added cash/sponsorship required to successfully host majors. Over the last few years we've been concentrating on getting out of a five-figure debt and building our base of events, courses, leagues and members. Now we've finally got a nice five-figure balance in our bank account, the CDGC will host more than 350 events this year (which includes 12 weekly seasonal leagues) and we'll top 500 members.

Our other focus has been on achieving a long-time goal of federally approved, 501(c)(3) non-profit status -- which we did this year. That certification may well put us in position to be more effective at fund raising, which would help our ability to host majors.

But before we go off hosting majors, we've still got some in-house stuff to take care of. We've a goal of growing our now-350-player Charlotte Amateur Championship into the most vibrant amateur tourney on the planet and a true DG destination event. We've also got to redefine The Carolina Clash and broaden its appeal.

Make no mistake, we'd love to have fields of top pros here, and to have our courses shine on video for all to see. But losing money or budgeting to break even just to host pros (as often happens) is not fiscally responsible, and as we've become more financially astute it is clear we need a solid base first.

Latest posts