• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stickum and such: anyone use grip powder?

Doofenshmirtz

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
During the winter, on dry and cooler days I'm finding that my hands get so dry that it is difficult to keep a good grip on the disc. I'm having to lick my progressivly dirty fingers or pour drinking water on them and dry off for every throw. Last week, I searched for grip powder and, after wading an endless supply of pole dancing products, found that Stickum makes what a powder for this purpose (probably the same stuff the pole dancers use but without the silhouette of a stripper on the bottle). Has anyone had any experience with this stuff? Will it stick to the disk and make it slippery during warm weather? Any other recommendations to help grip in cold and dry conditions?

Sorry, I can't comment on the product you mentioned.
I do have chronically dry hands and have found winter disc golf especially tough.
I use O'keefe's Working Hands.
It's a hand cream that cures dry cracked skin and I find it makes my skin slightly tacky. It soaks into your hands not greasy at all.

*Lester Hayes has entered the chat*

hqdefault.jpg

During the summer I have to use powder or dirt because I sweat too much and everything is slick. Haven't really had the cold dry issue.

Might try something coco butter based. Or a sports glove. Golf glove, football gloves, or similar. Gives a modest amount of weather protection and provides good grip.

Regarding buildup on disc, may just have to accept cleaning them between seasons.

During the summer I have to use powder or dirt because I sweat too much and everything is slick. Haven't really had the cold dry issue.

Might try something coco butter based. Or a sports glove. Golf glove, football gloves, or similar. Gives a modest amount of weather protection and provides good grip.

Regarding buildup on disc, may just have to accept cleaning them between seasons.

https://www.frictiongloves.com/store/c9/Disc_Golf.html

I use Friction Gloves for cold or wet rounds. But....there are issues with them:

1. the glove can't be used with a smart phone. I have to either take it off when I want to enter scores, or I have to not wear a glove on my 'off' hand.

2. the glove adds thickness and decreases feel. I have had to learn to grip the disc with, what feels like, less pressure.

So, wearing a Friction glove requires additional practice to get used to the change in feel/pressure on the disc.

Below freezing I've been having the most success with:

1. Hot Hands packet in pocket to hold between shots
2. Breathe (more like huff) into hand for some more moisture
3. Chalk bag

That combo seems to get my grip closer to where it is above freezing. I thought 2 and 3 would offset each other but they synergize better than I expected.

Like BF I tried a couple gloves, but the feel/pressure difference was enough that I only use them if it's wet.

Also have a friend who uses one of the waxes and really likes it. Tried it and it's definitely grippy!

Rosin bag + sweat + friction if it's warm.

Rosin bag + lotion + friction if my hands are dry.

My hands get very dry in winter so I use lotion before the round and use the rosin bag like normal. Rub fingers together after grabbing rosin bag to get better grip.

https://youtu.be/SQesez-5J_A?t=45

The snap stick works well. Infinite sells it too if you want to pay with a credit card.
I also found a pine tar stick in the baseball section at Academy if you have those locally.
I have to massage either into my hand but the pine tar stick seemed to last 6-7 holes while the snap stick lasts about 3.

Neither makes a mess or transfers to the discs.

Since we are having this type of discussion, I thought these definitions could be useful. Especially to some of our newer players around.
ROSIN BAG Vs. CHALK Vs. GRIP SACK

There has been much debate between these three contenders as to which is better. The basic difference between the three is simple―the rosin bag aids in both removing the excess moisture as well as providing you with extra traction. On the other hand, chalk just makes your hand drier, thus indirectly increasing your grip. Similarly, a grip sack is something that absorbs the moisture. In the two latter products, there is no extra substance that provides you with traction.

You can find all three readily available at most places where discs are sold. Taking some time to play with each and determining what works best is important. I am a guy that has little to no grip issues. I tend to use a grip bag. I don't care for the grip of rosin or the mess of chalk.

About 20 years ago a guy on the PDGA message board had a product called speed wax. He said it enhanced grip and made your discs fly faster.

Latest posts