• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Still struggling, preparing for winter

sacred

Tried to reply to my old post but it was too old for that already.

First of all I would like to thank Hazed_0ut for his tips and advices. Greatly appreciated.

Im still struggling with those issues, but wanted to post an update still.

Now the autumn is coming and days are getting shorter so the amount of field practice possible is getting less and less so I would have liked to get feedback on my latest drive on what could I work on during the down season in doors and limited amount of field work.

I know that I still fail to get my elbow forward, I have tried to start planting more closed but I assume that my acceleration is starting from the back instead of late from the power pocket thus making me round the shot still with the disc only on the left peck when this happens.

Also I seem to get the disc behind my body still a little bit when I throw so from time to time I get rounding from there.

And the last thing I notice is that I seem to get stuck quite far behind my plant foot and instead of my weight getting on top or against the plant foot, it moves forward but opens without the bracing. Perhaps shorter steps would be in place?

All the comments, drills and advices are more than welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IdL5qFE6cs

As SW22 said you are collapsing your knee over front foot rather than driving "into" it. Have it out slightly further ahead and get your momentum right into the instep.

Look at this picture, how all the weight is angled into the instep and the knee is directed into the foot rather than on top of it.

Imagine you're trying to push yourself sideways across ice, off your rear foot and sliding sideways on your plant foot. Think of where your weight needs to be.

Joe-Mauer-240x300.jpg

Thanks for all the comments!

I think I got how it is supposed to feel when the bracing / resist happens, but I still think Im coming over knee over ankle and hip over knee when I try to do this. I have not incorporated this to my throws yet, just dry runs on what it is supposed to feel like.

I'll try to get some footage today from the throws.

Last edited:
You might get faster rotation and a better hit if you extend your left arm down instead of having it belly high. It would centralize your weight towards your core.

Thank you all for the comments and feedbacks!

I have not posted anything due to the fact that I still seem to be going past my ankle when I throw and still trying to fix that. Also I noticed that I have started to throw from low to high, making most of my shots sky rocket.

I noticed that on the technique forum (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118108) that if I find it hard to get to the bracing position I should try to make my step wider and more out to avoid getting on top of it.

Here is video from yesterday with two throws. This was before I read about the wider / more out step. What do you think? Could that be something that Im missing this equation of bracing?

https://youtu.be/LBurQhHHsxc

You need to squat/turn/load into your rear leg more as you plant. Your rear knee and hip is too straight to drive off it harder to the right through your rear instep, you end up dragging your rear leg. In the Hershyzer drill you are probably going to hit the wall with your front foot well before your butt they way you are striding, leaning over instead of turning/loading into the rear leg more. Once your butt/hip is on the wall you will probably also find yourself too high on the wall to really drive the hip forward hard into the wall through your rear instep/leg compared to driving through with more knee/hip flex and lower center of gravity.

I see what you mean! Thanks for pointing it out!

Will try to focus on that next time on the field (plus start to hug some walls indoors)!