• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stolen CONE basket

Boooooo at this comment. Cones are nearly impossible to replace.
Those should be super simple for any metal shop to replicate. It will be pretty pricy to get just one, though.

If those baskets are valued by the local DG community, what I'd suggest doing is going on a campaign to try to find a disc golfing engineer who works, or has contacts at, a metal shop who is willing to do the design work. Some of those places will allow employees to use the facilities for personal projects as long as they do it off the clock and pay for materials themselves. All you'd have to do is come up with the money for the materials and some bribe money (or pizza and beer) for fabricators to put them together for you. If you're lucky and find a local custom shop that's willing to support the DG community you may get them to cover some of that for you in exchange for good publicity.

I think they add to the course at Moir Park. It's a pretty short course so using those baskets really emphasize just how accurate you need to be (or how good at putting you need to be) to have a good chance at a 2.

I agree with this about character. If it were only chain baskets, I would never play this course because it is so short. I say this because I would have to drive 45 minutes to get there with more than a dozen other choices along with way. Being that my grandfather lives only five minutes away would be the only excuse for me playing it. However, when I think of Moir, I think of those cones. The uniqueness factor and the NEED to someday hit an ace there does bring me back.

On Hole 4, I once hit as square as you could on the part of the cone on top just before it curves inward with an ESP Meteor. I would love to say that one of my aces was on a cone basket, just so say it.

As for Hansen, I understand the history of the course and ultimately do not begrudge them for keeping half the baskets cones, but I think that course would actually benefit from converting to all one style basket. The homemade one on Hole 1, again I give them credit for the uniqueness, is not a good putting basket. Combine that with actual baskets and the cone baskets and you have a bad mixture. Yes, it is fair because all people within the league/ tournament/ whatever competitive event will have to putt on it, but I still do not like that being the deciding factor in scoring. Last week I all but parked Hole 2 at a distance where I know my poor putting would be at least 50/50 on a chain basket. From that distance there is almost no way to make a putt because of the orientation my disc would be at when it hit the cone (nose angle, hyzer angle, etc). I ended up settling for a 3, which most of the people I was competing with got as well. I should have carded a 2 which would have been a proper reward for driving so far and so accurately when no one else did.

Anyway, Moir needs to get another cone basket to replace the stolen one if that one is not recovered.

I would think they're thinking "I can get high for two, maybe three days if I can get this to the scrapyard".
I would doubt that (although not totally discount it ever happening). Stolen baskets can fetch way more as baskets than they can as scrap.

Boooooo at this comment. Cones are nearly impossible to replace.

they are classic.

It should be impossible to sell on craigslist, not something they can really put up in the backyard.
Basically I would check scrap yards :( sorry.

I did call national recycling and alter recycling in the north metro and emailed pictures over of what it would be-- Likely the low lives will not travel this far to scrap it out though any So.TC peeps may want to do the same these companies do not want stolen stuff and are more than happy to help. We caught 2 guys who ripped off new electrical wiring from a home remodel last week this way.

These do nothing for the courses which they are located other than keep many people from playing them as frequently as ones with more updated baskets.

Wow at the ignorance in this statement.
So we won't see you at Moir or Hansen? Cool with me because both courses are already overused.

For all the badmouthing on this forum about "How much cones suck" its amazing to see how many recreational teenagers come out and actually want to play at courses like Hansen and Moir. Over the past couple weeks we have had a weekly and rec groups jumping in the middle of teenagers and its been amazing to me how respectful they have been waiting for us to finish holes to tee off, not being annoying, picking up after themselves. I know the dream at Hansen is to have a entire cone course, I like the cones now as I get older, they are what I learned on and its taken many years to be an efficient putter on them. Once you go out to chain baskets it becomes much easier

I would doubt that (although not totally discount it ever happening). Stolen baskets can fetch way more as baskets than they can as scrap.

And junkies are full of logic. "Get my fix tonight with less scrap money or put them on craigslist and wait for a buyer?"

I appreciate that everyone here is keeping a lookout for that cone basket. Regardless of your opinion on the need for these baskets in DG, we still want to get it back and bring the perps to justice.

WHat would be a suitable punishment from the DG community for possession of stolen basket? "stoning" by discs?

WHat would be a suitable punishment from the DG community for possession of stolen basket? "stoning" by discs?

this would be awesome... like from 15', i'm sure i could draw blood w/my katana.

I felt the same way at Lake Murray, very short holes with some rollaway potential, made for a fun putting experience. (and my fiancee hit an ace on one :))

Was it this one?

Attachments

• oh%20COME%20ON!.jpg
    oh%20COME%20ON!.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 68
Does it matter if they "sucked" or not? Someone stole something that wasn't theirs. It doesn't matter if it's a stick of gum or a Ferrari, the fact that someone would take something that didn't belong to them, and at the same time take away from people that use them, is disturbing. Our society has lost focus on implementing moral decency. I work at an after school program and I'm continually perturbed at how these 6-12 yr old children address me, or try to because I shut that $hit down asap. No morals/scruples anymore in the youth of country.

Don't even joke about it. If discs are ever perceived as weapons, we won't get to play with them anymore.

Has anyone contacted the officials that are over the old Lone Lake Cone Course? That was my favorite cone course in the twin cities until it was pulled a couple of years ago. If the park and rec kept those baskets, they might sell them.