• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straddle putt and the rules

maynes32

Par Member
Okay, I've read the rules, and gotten opinions from a couple of friends, but I want to see what you all think. The rule in question is:

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:

(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,

I am a strictly straddle putter (except where impossible). I've heard this rule interpreted two different ways:

One (most common):

Under theory one, draw a line at the back of your disc perpendicular to the line from the hole to your disc. Your feet have to be behind this, essentially making a right triangle with the hole. Otherwise your off foot is "closer" to the hole (argue these folks). This results in an awkward position where your body is not square to the pin.

Two (less common, but my interpretation):

The theory here is that if you took a measuring tape from the pin to the back of your disc, and then from the pin to the front of your off (not directly behind the disc) foot, your foot would still be farther away, but in front of the line in the above example. This does not seem like a big difference, but the result is your feet making an isosceles triangle with the pin, and your body is square to it.

Sorry for the horrid geometry flashbacks, but it's the best way to describe it.

Which of these is legal? One? Or both one and two?

Thanks,

BLM

distance from the target is measured on the curve. both are legal, #2 is correct. only the geometrically challenged would argue otherwise.

what i do is putt my off foot on edge with the back of the marker, 90 degrees from the basket (#1 example)... then take at least 6 inches even further back to avoid any grief.

to answer the question, i believe the rules are implying interpretation #1 (although it can be seen as legal either way). it does make your body 'not square' to the basket, but by what.... a few inches? i don't think it should matter no?

Last edited:
what part of " have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc" could possibly imply #1?????

Both are legal. Just make sure you are behind the circle.

distance from the target is measured on the curve. both are legal, #2 is correct. only the geometrically challenged would argue otherwise.

I agree. Distance from the pin is what matters. Your off foot cannot be closer to the pin than your lie.

legal1.jpg

legal2.jpg

illegal.jpg

I agree with Ray's pics.

If you really want to mess with your group, wait until you have a lie within a foot or so of the pin and then "straddle putt" with your feet on opposite sides of the basket both at least a foot from the pole. Ray could maybe draw that up, too?

Hey, you're preaching to the choir, here ;)

Thanks for all the responses. I feel at least relatively confident that my interpretation (#2) is right.

The only way I can explain it is that I have several friends (who probably haven't read the actual rule) who believe that it is a line, not an arc. Why do they believe this? I don't know. I just don't know. :p

@Aubin - I agree it's not a huge difference from square, but as a long-time basketball player, throwing things perpendicular to my shoulders is a very familiar, comfortable motion. I miss an alarming amount left when lining up with my feet as in option 1.

Note to self...humping basket is illegal, must wait until disc is ejaculated.

Both are legal. Just make sure you are behind the circle.

Of course it does. If you incorrectly use the tangent line as your benchmark for "no closer", you cannot possibly be closer than if you correctly use the arc.

When he said "circle" I thought he was referring to the 10meter circle, which wouldn't be relevant to the discussion.

Nice illustrations by the way.