• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Straight / understable low profile putter for practicing form

wims

Double Eagle Member
Hey,
I'm looking to pick up a straight / understable putter for form practice and putter only rounds. When I throw my Aviar PnAs and P2s I have a tendency to release the discs uncleanly due to the deep rim. I don't got huge hands so I prefer a low profile. I want a putter that will tell me when my technique is off and reward me for doing it right. Any suggestions?

Proxy/spike/ridge/summit are a few that ive used. Never really liked super shallow putters though. What mids do you own?

I have a hard time thinking a new putter mold will help with clean releases it really comes down tona good grip. I can power grip and rip any putter mold comfortably. You need to find a grip that works well for you across different shapes with a putter mold. Holding on to the rim too much seems to be an issue with driving putters.

I got some Roc3s, a light big-z Comet, a light goldline Fuse, light dx Shark and currently bagging a Verdict and a Truth (the -1/1 stamped one)

Comet or fuse certainly should work just as well to clean up a poor release. Throwing the fuse for a while really helped my hyzer flip game too. Comet always felt a little odd to me but works as designed there is no doubt about that.

Take a mid and putter you already own and hit the course!

For putters, the Nova has been advertised/endorsed to help identify form flaws. When you're on, it's on. When you're off, it will let you know.

If you don't like the deepness of the Aviar PnA, I don't think you'll like the Nova. It's basically an overmold version of that disc. I'd go with a Colt. They are shallow, but neutral/slightly understable. I think the XT/DX versions go further and somehow feel a little shallower than the Star/GStar versions to me, but any of the plastics would work.

Pure and Summit are two I have that fit the bill. Straight, fairly shallow. Summit probably would give a better feedback as to form problems. The thing with the Pure is that it seems fast and forgiving. That makes it great for rounds, but maybe not as ideal for requiring perfect form.

Polecat might work too but it ain't shallow and feels unlike most discs.

Just person preference here, but I like the idea of mids for this instead of putters, particularly the low profile thing. Comet/Fuse, like Aim said, are good "teachers."

DGA Breaker is one of the smallest putters on the market. It's a bit overstable, but as far as low-profile goes, only the Harp beats it.

If it has to be a putter, I'd say the Spike

But I think a mid would work better, or as well. Then I would suggest the Comet or Fuse

Warden (beadless), Judge (beaded), Stud (beaded), Colt (beaded), Mirage (beaded, VERY shallow).

The Nova is an overmolded Aviar P&A, so it might be deeper than you're looking for. It's good for working on form, though.