• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stretches

Flip55

Does anyone do "disc specific" stretches before a round? I do some arm stretches but they don't seem to be helping much. I played Idlewild yesterday which is the longest course ive played to date and my throwing shoulder(rhbh) and my right lower back are killing me this morning. Any suggestions?

Does anyone do "disc specific" stretches before a round? I do some arm stretches but they don't seem to be helping much. I played Idlewild yesterday which is the longest course ive played to date and my throwing shoulder(rhbh) and my right lower back are killing me this morning. Any suggestions?

I use my towel...works wonders.

The most likely cause of lower back pain for me is carrying my bag on only one shoulder, especially on longer days. I find that I eliminate a lot of back pain just by making sure to put both straps of my quads on any time I put on the bag. I do stretch out my arms and my legs before playing, just some quick arm circles if I'm only playing a round or two and more involved stretching at the beginning of a tournament or all day adventure.

i have an innova competition bag with about 14-17 discs in it depending on the day but i dont have the "backpack" straps, only the one shoulder strap. that could explain the shoulder pain but im not sure about the back. maybe its my throwing motion?(rhbh x-step) I might start doing "covergirls" where you sit on the ground put you left foot by your right hip, your right arm rest on the raised knee and you stretch to the left. might get some weird looks at the first tee but ohwell:p thatnks for the towel idea, ill try that too!

You'd be surprised, you almost certainly lean to the side when carrying your bag on one shoulder, and doing that for any length of time is guaranteed to mess with your lower back.

a few arm circles

a few toe touches

gtg for me!

i ALWAYS throw atleast 4 discs lightly before i toss my first real drive

I do this as well. The best way to ruin your shoulder is to try destroy your first drive.

Shoulder issues you MUST do this stretch (and I will try to explain the best I know how)..

A buddy of mine injured his shoulder and during PT they taught him this.. Stand straight up and hold your arms outstretched (jesus style, sorry if that offends anyone but it's the best I got). Then cross your arms over your chest (as if you were going to do a cross shoulder stretch) and continue to interlace your arms until your hands are pretty close to each other... one elbow should be over the other and forearms laced. Then, you can grab a thumb or palm or whatever and slowly raise straight up and feel the stretch (remember good posture, take it slow and easy).

Quality stretch.

Decent link to other rotator stuff here: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/rotator-cuff-injury.php

I pay extra attention to stretching my elbow and shoulder. Your body will tell you what you need to stretch more. (I had some tendinitis in my elbow, so I pay extra attention to that)

I loosen up my shoulder by taking a disc in both hands and raising and lowering it behind my head while pulling my hands outward. Then I'll make a few circles with throwing arm/shoulder. Then faking a few throws. I do this mostly while walking from my truck to the first tee. I find that if I don't do this I'll have more shoulder pain after a round.

I usually just do a couple quick stretches, then I throw my disc. I start off with some short throws just to get my body moving the way it will be when driving.

Latest posts