• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

String for OB

We used to string several thousand feet of twine for tourneys (now I'm too lazy). I found that the sisal twine mentioned in post 2 worked the best. The fastest way to stake it down that we found was to get a large bag of golf tees and twist the twine around, or to use small sticks (easier cleanup).

We found some rolls of orange string one time.

Regarding spray paint, it doesn't make a very precise line, and depending on the surface it's sprayed on, is subject to being rubbed out.

If you aren't already planning on doing it, I recommend marking the ob rope (or paint) with intermittent flags so players can see it from a distance and they won't get won't get surprised by the ob.

if you feel you must use string you can get 20000 feet of orange baling twine for 25 bucks or so at frm supply stores.

If you have a Harbour Freight they have nylon yellow rope by the spindle for really really cheap. I used those and ordered yellow plastic tent stakes also called power pegs.

We used to string several thousand feet of twine for tourneys (now I'm too lazy). I found that the sisal twine mentioned in post 2 worked the best. The fastest way to stake it down that we found was to get a large bag of golf tees and twist the twine around, or to use small sticks (easier cleanup).

Golf tees. Fantastic Idea!

Why put string? Just use stakes/flags and let the players infer the line between them. I mean, it's good enough for golf -- it should be good enough for us.

They have this up at BRP and I spotted #4 last year for the majestic and it worked out decently and you could determine if it was OB or not.

I don't know about where to get the string, but I can share my experience helping string a couple of thousand feet a couple of times for the Forest Hills temp course in Durham, NC:

One of the members developed an ingenious idea of running the string through a fishing pole and keeping the roll in a backpack. Then, someone else would follow behind and wrap the string around a flag and stick it into the ground every 30 feet or so. This works REALLY well.

Good luck, and I think string is the best way to go, as it basically eliminates any ambiguity on OB.

Last edited:
If you are still toying with ideas, electrician string is an option. The bucket makes it easy to dispense, it's pretty tough, and you get a pail with it.

If you want you can take the string out of the pail if you need to use the bucket. Home Depot has been stocking the Klien brand, that has an orange "tracer" on the white string.

A down side is the price. I paid $50 for a bucket of string once.

Take the plastic plug out and tie it to the handle with a piece of the string. When you aren't using it insert the plug to keep the string from getting pulled out.
attachment.php

Klein-Tools-56110-rw-133950-194075.jpg
946084_300.jpg