• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stuck at 260’

I'm really surprised that you're not going over 260'. I hope the form masters can help you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Your backswing is too fast and you push the disc further away, instead of abandoning to gravity or leaving the disc behind and your body moving forward ahead of it into the plant like loading a bow and arrow by pushing the bow forward instead of pulling or pushing the arrow/string back.

Moving around the disc:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91096

Thanks. That's something I go off and on being good about. Old habits die hard. It can't be the only thing keeping me from 400'. Am I disconnecting somewhere wasting my weight shift, if it's even shifting at all?

Thanks. That's something I go off and on being good about. Old habits die hard. It can't be the only thing keeping me from 400'. Am I disconnecting somewhere wasting my weight shift, if it's even shifting at all?
Can't see your feet/weightshift in the video, but is all related to the the connection of working around the disc in kinetic sequence vs disconnect/pushing it. When you rush the backswing you lose the transition and kinetic wind up, so you have no equal and opposite happening because everything is already back mid stride and your shoulders get dragged forward instead of still swinging back going into the plant.

If you video your standstill throw it will be more noticeable that you will have everything going back together and then everything going forward together, but you need to blend the lower half start transitioning forward while still in the backswing. When doing an x-step it's harder to see because your body is always moving forward, but manifests with with the early or rushed backswing and dragging the shoulder/disc forward early going into the plant.

Got some field work in today. Worked on moving around the disc and also shifting weight forward while still letting the disc stay over the left foot, similar to the Clement axe head. I felt a ton more snap, speed, and power, but not much more distance. Everything was coming out nose up, so maybe I just need a little more practice. Take a look!

https://youtu.be/t2QtJCZymBQ

I had (have?) a bad habit of throwing nose up.

One day I was playing with someone I didn't know and he quickly pointed out that I was dipping my rear shoulder. Didn't change anything else in my form but paid attention to my rear shoulder and made sure I was square and level when I pulled through. Suddenly I was magically keeping the nose down and adding distance.

It's still something I have to consistently pay attention too though.

Haven't seen your videos and I'm the last one to be giving advice.

Just tossing out some personal experience.

One day I was playing with someone I didn't know and he quickly pointed out that I was dipping my rear shoulder. Didn't change anything else in my form but paid attention to my rear shoulder and made sure I was square and level when I pulled through.

Often seen that dip happen when people are leaning back during cross step without realizing it, which also throws their balance out of the window at same time.

Looks like you are trying to overload your weight back on the rear foot and leaning back past it and collapsing your leg and then extending your rear knee into the plant and get stuck weight back on the rear heel after planting. Your lean back past the rear foot is causing you to reach downward and swing nose up. What you are doing feels powerful/stable, but is slow and inefficient as your weight isn't really shifting off the rear foot.

Note how tall Avery stays on the rear leg and then rear knee flexes into the plant as the foot plantar flexes to drive the rear heel forward/up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ut avery seq.jpg
    ut avery seq.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 51
That back leg is a huge eye opener. When you say that the "rear knee flexes into the plant," does that mean the front toes should be on the ground and the knee flexing causes the heel to come down or that the rear knee flex is what causes the forward movement to the plant?

That back leg is a huge eye opener. When you say that the "rear knee flexes into the plant," does that mean the front toes should be on the ground and the knee flexing causes the heel to come down or that the rear knee flex is what causes the forward movement to the plant?
Just like walking or running. If your trailing knee remains extended when you plant into the front heel, you can't shift balance/weight onto the leading foot, it will drag weight back when remaining extended. Your rear knee should be extended or extending to push off the foot with plantar flexion and then go into knee flexion to shift weight/pressure off the rear foot and allow it to swing forward. The rear knee extended on the x-step also allows your front leg to stride/swing forward unimpeded without having to pick the leg up and can hang relaxed from the hip.

The front foot doesn't have to be on the ground during the rear leg action, just like a pitcher making a big stride/stance, or can be on ground if you are in a narrow stance/stride like a batter. It alls depends on how fast you are moving or your stride/stance like running vs walking.

Try this, stand upright like military position heels under hips, forget about dg or throwing or closed stance for a minute. Your knees should be about fully extended but not locked out, now push your heels up off the ground with plantar flexion. Feel how your center of gravity rises by using your feet against the ground. Not your knees. You can spring your CoG with the feet.

Now try and flex your knees and remain crouched and try and push your heels up off the ground with plantar flexion. It will be very weak and slow! Crouching is really inefficient. If only use your knee extension to raise your CoG you can't get as high as using your feet and is much slower and don't get much spring action or really engage your muscles in the calf and butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s

Last edited:
Did some work with a straighter back leg today. Still not as straight as it probably should be, but I hit 300' for the first time in a long time! I still feel like I'm not getting too much from my lower body, though, not feeling the uncoiling effect.

https://youtu.be/yNFbSRHCAW8

Looking better. I can't tell if your camera is at a weird angle or you are throwing way across your stance. Camera behind tee might help more than side of tee.

Note how Markus's shoulder stays loaded back going into the heel plant so his butt/weight is still pulling his shoulder/arm/disc back taut to door frame and shifting everything balanced to the front leg. You are pushing your upper body/shoulder over and trying to pull the door frame by going over the top your front leg. If your front leg gave out you would fall over head first while Markus would fall butt first targetward.

You will need to walk your stance out targetward in door frame drill. Markus's rear foot would be much closer to target than yours to get the shoulder pulled back toward rear knee. Stride the front foot/butt forward together, your front foot shouldn't really be on the weighted ground until your about maxed out from the rear foot driving forward. When you release hand from door frame you should sudden drop most your weight into front heel/crush can and rear foot should automatically deweight - no more pushing from rear foot after releasing door frame.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.06.50 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.06.50 PM copy.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 32
Did some work with a straighter back leg today. Still not as straight as it probably should be, but I hit 300' for the first time in a long time! I still feel like I'm not getting too much from my lower body, though, not feeling the uncoiling effect.

https://youtu.be/yNFbSRHCAW8

When you start bringing your disc forward you almost immediately pull the disc to your upper left pec and raise you right shoulder. Your leading elbow is almost at shoulder height whereas most pros keep the disc and elbow lower (Avery being an exception). If you were to attempt to knock down a burning door you would keep your elbow lower for the most power.

Latest posts