• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stuck at 360ft

Rll131

Bogey Member
So I havnt posted in awhile I will post a video tomorrow when the weather is better for my form. So I'm stuck at 360 field goal to field goal. I'm throwing my wizard on a line about 270. Here is what I'm doing in my head basically reach back turn my hips back then pull the disc toward my right pec as I'm basically whipping my arm with my hips then gripping the hell out of it at the hit. Is there something im missing I can hyzer flip a d3 so I know I'm getting plenty of spin and I also can throw a wizard straight for 270ft or so so I know my form is decent. Any tips to get to 400?

You can use the arm muscles too and not just whip with the legs, hips and shoulders. So you can actively push the elbow forward to get the disc to the right pec and then straighten the elbow with power and also shap the wrist forward both actively and passively. Your 'wizard distance suggests enough power generation to get farther than 360' with drivers. Normally i will not throw a Wizard much farther at all but am at 400' over over with good pulls and s-curves especially if helped by the wind. This makes me think about apex height, too much fade and nose up agle may be issues with you. The D3 that i have is shit flippy and added spin lessens flipping and fade. Yes exactly so it is not your spin that flips the D3 it is your speed and lack of spin vs speed that makes your disc flip. The D3 that i have fades more than some drivers like the easier to grip and less nose up fussy and power demanding Beast. DX Beasts suck though for general purposes. Being slower it needs more height to go far but it will not fade as early or crash down as quickly as the faster more fading D3.

Gripping like hell when? If you do that from the beginning of the throw your arm muscle movements will be slower than with looser muscles in the beginning tightening in the end. There is a substantial difference here. A few years back i tried an extreme version of clamping down hard with tight tense muscles. I did a several step run up at ful speed trying to lock my wrist in place and maxed out at 350' so i lost 50'+ with too much arm stiffness. With practice one can learn to start the pinching of the disc after the elbow starts to straighten.

It sounds like you are over-rotating your hips in the backswing and then have no chance to brace properly with your plant foot. I recommend trying to keep your hips neutral through the backswing (turn your shoulders back, not your hips) and focus on bracing hard with your plant foot prior to opening your hips. Time your backswing so that it peaks as you are planting your front foot.

380'-ish is about the maximum you will ever get unless you can find a way to add power through the pivot...the explosion out of the hand is the true key to breaking 400'

PS...it has been a VERY long time since I posted here!