• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stupid question- What's an upshot, etc?

basmith42

Bogey Member
ok.. so, what's an upshot?
I see it in the forums a lot and just can't seem to place the shot being described.

So- do me a favor and list your names for different shot types and situations. Help a brother out.

Your approach shot to the basket, usually your 2nd shot. I actually call it an approach shot.

yea. what he said.
basically the shot between mid range and putting.(different distances for everyone)

There are three types of approach shots.

1. Run it - This is when you aim at the chains and throw a line drive. You can get birdies this way but the downside is if you miss, the disc has a chance of going past the basket pretty far. This is a high risk high reward shot.

2. Lay up - This is when you try to land the disc as close to the basket as possible. You are not going for birdie but settling for par. This is a low risk low reward shot.

3. Upshot - This is when you throw a lay up but with a high loft so that the disc will have a chance to drop in the basket for a birdie but also stay close if you miss. This is a low risk high reward shot.

And here I thought an upshot was the trajectory and direction your up-chuck goes after you just threw your favorite disc in the lake? Man, you learn something new every day on this site. ;)

Latest posts