• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask Coach Chris T Anything

disc-golf-neil

Birdie Member
@CoachChris I hope you don't mind me making this thread. You told me elsewhere to ask anything I wanted clarified about your ideas.

I've heard, I think somewhere on these forums, that you advocate for keeping the wrist straight and not trying to curl it during drives. Can you elaborate on this? Is the stance that it will naturally curl into flexion and that's the right amount and so you shouldn't try to do it more?

From other sports, the wrist is notorious for being very difficult to control because very small movements have very big impacts. But it seems like in terms of maximizing acceleration and a whip motion it is necessary to learn to get more out of the wrist, but would likely be harder to master and be consistent with.

At 30:58

You can see a good view of Anthony Barela. It looks like he uses a lot more wrist action than many people with pronounced wrist extension at the peak of the back swing and then wrist flexion out of the power pocket. When I briefly tried this the wrist extension seemed to help it spring back into more flexion more easily compared to using no extension first.

1. When did you get started in coaching?

2. What core differences do you see in fundamental theories of driving mechanics?

3. What do you like most about coaching? Dislike most?

As you know I have many questions, but that could get us flowing and I'll "pass the mic" :)

Last edited: