• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

lostDoughnut Progression

In your recent standstill vid I think you are supinating a bit as you exit the peak of the backswing, rather than starting in a supinated position at the peak of the backswing and pronating out of it.

great feedback! ive prob read this a few times before i started to understand.

The point of my metaphor: It's a bounce. The closer it gets to your CoG/center of momentum without crashing into it, the more violent the ejection away, out from your CoG. When you get it, the momentum feel is very different.

(Sorry to participate in the additional hijacking of your form thread, LD. And I must say, you're putting in good work, so keep at it, man).

Anybody think this is one of the reason's Swedish style can be so effective? What I mean by Swedish style is the more bent elbow w/ disc more directly behind with body in between target during the backswing. They're pretty much keeping the disc right on line with that CoG bounce point during the swing. The velocity of the small, slower object before it gets close to the larger, faster object seems to be the least significant to overall ejection speed.

For example, consider the speed of the ball being thrown at the train as the slowest input piece of the final 130 mph velocity:

gravityassist-trainillustration.png

I don't know. Just been pondering this more.

Somewhat better. Need to fix your arm/disc rotating backwards into power pocket and swinging downward with disc nose up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aADjcR_ZtUw&t=340s
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415

attachment.php

this has been so hard for my mind to wrap around.

when i practice in my apt. my right shoulder feels weird when i supinate my wrist from pre address and try to keep it supinated during the entire swing. weird meaning it feels tension

side thought: i started to get the ejection feeling. i feel i have to slightly pull the disc into my chest for it to get that ejection feeling

Last edited:
side thought: i started to get the ejection feeling. i feel i have to slightly pull the disc into my chest for it to get that ejection feeling

side thought: i started to get the ejection feeling. i feel i have to slightly pull the disc into my chest for it to get that ejection feeling (mayb i have to pull into my chest slightly as my back is not facing the basket enough and because of that i have to compensate a bit or else the disc will pass further away from the cog)

another bad habit i have had was throwing too overstable of discs. because they are overstable to get them to go straight i have to throw them flat. i then tend to throw everything flat and then i get a bad habit because of that. where as if i learn to throw everything on hyzer with correct form (more pendulum) then i wouldnt have had formed a bad habit

I feel your pain man.

I gave myself the "law" to only do form work with Comets and Pures every time I'm given a change, which means that's almost all I've been throwing in fieldwork for a while now. Maybe I'm too conservative - even my Buzzzes only came back out this week (I still swear they seem more like 5 4 0 2 when new)!

I think the patience has paid off not just for form. It helped me a lot with touch and distance control in the 200-300' range, and I have a much clearer sense of when I need more over/understability in the disc vs. just a different throw angle on the course now. The heuristic "when in doubt, throw a Comet" for all kinds of shots is super useful in the woods!

I expect that getting back to drivers will be a mess for a bit again since I get so little time in a field big enough to work on that. I'll stick w/ my neutral Pharaohs and Shrykes to relearn distance shots.

What molds are you liking these days?

Hang in there!

thanks!

(for like 6months before i posted on this forum i used nothing put putters) now i try to include every type of disc into field work otherwise i found out that the different width of the rims will feel extremely foreign and my body looses its form (i have big hands and try to stick with anything 9speed and up as they simply feel most comfortable). ill throw into a net to warmup with a putter/mid and then when im loose ill step to the side of the net and throw with fairways and drivers.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140865

my bag has come to settle on

prodigy 300 pa4 (understable putter)
prime judge (putting putter and throwing putter)
z plastic discraft comet (understable mid)
z plastic discraft buzz (semi stable mid)

innnova champion leopard3 (understable)
innova champion valk (semi overstable)
innova star valk (flippy/understable)
innova halo star valk (more overstable than champion valk)
innova halo savant (stable)
innova halo thunderbird

innova halo tern (straight)
innova star kana (slightly more understable than tern)
innova color glow nathan queen wraith (overstable)
innova halo garret gurthie wraith (more overstable than nathan queen)

Looks like a nice bag! Looks like you have plenty that would fly on the neutral/understable end of the spectrum at your power level. Not sure how those Halos are, I keep hearing that they can be quite the beefcakes.

I can relate to the disc handfeel dilemma - we have opposite tendencies, where my hands are shorter/square so I gravitate toward my putters and mids. I started mixing my 9+ speeds into my basement practice sessions just so they feel less weird to me when I get a chance to throw them outside. I also noticed that since I throw max weight mids but usually high 160s/low 170s drivers that I had to really focus on getting my wrist/arm mechanics to transfer or I'd lose leverage on them, not sure if that's in the mix for you.

the issue i think i have been having is with the 'sitting motion' during the downswing. when i go to sit (during the dynamic parts of the downswing) i think im sitting too much and its causing my knee to leak over my toes (as well as not going as far east too).

today i mainly thought about
1.keeping the forearm pronated (post #144)
2. getting deeper into the backswing (post #135)

90% of the videos my knee leaked over

i notice during peak reachback my wrist has some extension. i think thats because of the way my hand goes from pre address to backswing. i believe the solution ,and ive tried it a bit, is a better door frame to get my hand to stop in a better position

wrist action.jpg

i also noticed that i was being pulled forward and the effortless distance started to come back

Looks like a nice bag! Looks like you have plenty that would fly on the neutral/understable end of the spectrum at your power level. Not sure how those Halos are, I keep hearing that they can be quite the beefcakes.

I can relate to the disc handfeel dilemma - we have opposite tendencies, where my hands are shorter/square so I gravitate toward my putters and mids. I started mixing my 9+ speeds into my basement practice sessions just so they feel less weird to me when I get a chance to throw them outside. I also noticed that since I throw max weight mids but usually high 160s/low 170s drivers that I had to really focus on getting my wrist/arm mechanics to transfer or I'd lose leverage on them, not sure if that's in the mix for you.

the halos i would add at least a +1 or +2 to the fade and that would be how they fly. the halo wraiths sure are more overstable. i like them because for me a destroyer is just a tad bit too wide of a rim.

im sure my wrist has to be updated. ive really enjoyed focusing on my legs. im in the same boat with fairway/drivers and their weight. 167ish pro katana for where im at just goes straight forever

i feel odd saying it. this arm movement baffles me (i know im doing something wrong thats causing it) :wall:

i viewed this from another post and i feel like its automatic in how that moves but for me something is off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwEFWS7gMxs&t=275s

i feel that i dont get the disc near my center of gravity or my core mayb? i feel im messing up on the 'narrow' part. the disc goes wide -> narrow -> wide. i feel im messing up on the narrow part :\

Confusion could occur in a few spots. I might suggest focusing only on the first pronating part of the arm movement (from peak of backswing into the hit). When your body whips your arm through, it might start to uncoil the right way naturally.

Confusion could occur in a few spots. I might suggest focusing only on the first pronating part of the arm movement (from peak of backswing into the hit). When your body whips your arm through, it might start to uncoil the right way naturally.

thanks for the response too!

am i manually pronating my forearm going into the hit when starting from the peak backswing position?

That's what I did initially.

Eventually I ended up with the disc flight plate more parallel to the ground w/ more mild rotation since it was a bit easier to integrate into my overall form (currently styled more like Gibson like my most recent form post). But I had to do the more extreme Lizotte motion for at first for a while to undo the backwards rotation. So I would warm up by intentionally pronating out of the backswing to stop myself from rotating backwards into the pocket, and my swings gradually turned into the current form.

I'd lose leverage on them, not sure if that's in the mix for you.

im thinking hard on this one as i dont feel i made much progress. im wondering if thats my issue. issue being im loosing leverage going into the power pocket.

im guessing in the image below i have lost that leverage on the disc. a better position for that disc would be where i drew a red line. in order for the disc to get there my thumb needs to push down and/or i need more pronation
leverage.jpg

i also feel like my elbow drops causing my wrist to go down into the power pocket which is hurting the pronation(just thinking out loud on that one). ive questioned my elbows height relative to the ground going into the hit. i feel i try to keep it up but when i do sometimes the disc flies above my head going into the power pocket. maybe i need more doorframe practice

the video above was earlier into practice and at the end i do feel i did better

Latest posts