• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

lostDoughnut Progression

You are doing a false wide reachback or reaching out instead of actually reaching back. If you do that in door frame drill or sledgehammer you will have no leverage to use your weight. You really should only reach out like that for big right to left hyzers. Your swing direction is going diagonal left to right and your body gets in the way and narrows or saws off the release. GG is swinging more diagonal right to left which keeps the body out of the way and extends the release wide out.

You need to tilt your shoulders more vertical so that elbow doesn't "drop". The shoulder tilts or drops down into the arm slot. This spine and shoulder tilt also keeps the disc on a flatter plane with the pronated power pocket.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.54.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.54.10 PM.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 108
been taking a break. inside of right knee is sore and i got a good sized blood blister on my throwing hands middle finger :wall:

i wanted to add a picture as another good reference on tilting

tilt.jpg

I just saw this thread, and I've only read your posts from 4/12, but one thing jumped out at me immediately, and I don't know if others have mentioned it. Why is your left leg back at such an extreme angle? It is clearly inhibiting your hip rotation and preventing a better follow through. Out on the course, this will limit your distance.

Have you ever tried lining up your feet so that the front end of your left shoe (your toes) is on a line with the back of your right shoe (your heel)? (These things are so hard to describe in words.) Look at the top pros like Drew Gibson, Ezra Aderhold, Eagle, McBeth and see how their feet line up at the hit.

Why is your left leg back at such an extreme angle?

thank you for a response!! ive been sticking with standstills and i really want to see how far i can take it. from what ive gathered up to this point and felt this far having my left leg in the position shown below

left leg1.jpg

it helps me keep my front knee from going over my front toe. image below shows good knee over toe position. this helps me in making it easier for my front knee to extend and push my hip back and way from the target resulting in some really nice rotation!
left leg12.jpg

vs me getting in trouble and having my front knee cave over my front toe. i have alot more practice to go and im sure im making it look harder than it needs to be :doh:
left leg122.jpg

lostDoughnut, have you look at videos of the foot placement of the top pros? McBeth, Adderhold, Gibson...

Not quite.

The significance of getting the disc close to your CoG is not just re: the figure skater retracting their appendages Doc Ock style to increase the rate of body spin. Sure, don't let your left/off arm flail around and drag down your RPMs.

The point of my metaphor: It's a bounce. The closer it gets to your CoG/center of momentum without crashing into it, the more violent the ejection away, out from your CoG. When you get it, the momentum feel is very different.

(Excuse the late reply) - I appreciate the metaphors and how you describe the feeling. I have however experienced it myself several times. My objection was stricly regarding the physics of the backhand throw. I found this great write-up on reddit that I would recommend reading to anyone who's interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/jt1f5q/the_physics_behind_the_backhand/

thank you for a response!! ive been sticking with standstills and i really want to see how far i can take it. from what ive gathered up to this point and felt this far having my left leg in the position shown below

View attachment 76934

it helps me keep my front knee from going over my front toe. image below shows good knee over toe position. this helps me in making it easier for my front knee to extend and push my hip back and way from the target resulting in some really nice rotation!
View attachment 76935

vs me getting in trouble and having my front knee cave over my front toe. i have alot more practice to go and im sure im making it look harder than it needs to be :doh:
View attachment 76936

Hope you're healing up ok man.

I did want to mention that I found it helpful to revisit the staggered standstill right after working on Battering Ram to help clean up the ground action and posture, then pendulum backswing like Inside Swing.

That has helped tighten up both the inline and staggered standstills and even out the foot pressure/reduce knee strain for me over time.

Hope you're healing up ok man.

I did want to mention that I found it helpful to revisit the staggered standstill right after working on Battering Ram to help clean up the ground action and posture, then pendulum backswing like Inside Swing.

That has helped tighten up both the inline and staggered standstills and even out the foot pressure/reduce knee strain for me over time.

appreciate it. knee still bruised, when i try to go up stairs and put weight on my knee it feels bruised. when i walk normally its ok, if i walk alot it starts to get sore. luckily i work from home so i dont have to walk much. i went to the dr and got some xrays everything there looks perfect. i got some meds and if nothing changes next step is an mri. :doh:

i overworked myself and didnt take enough breaks in-between the gym/field:\

appreciate it. knee still bruised, when i try to go up stairs and put weight on my knee it feels bruised. when i walk normally its ok, if i walk alot it starts to get sore. luckily i work from home so i dont have to walk much. i went to the dr and got some xrays everything there looks perfect. i got some meds and if nothing changes next step is an mri. :doh:

i overworked myself and didnt take enough breaks in-between the gym/field:\

I feel you (including, unfortunately, a history of pain). We could all probably better critique training challenge/rest cycles. Sounds like we might relate - even though I'm putting less and less stress on my body, it means I want to throw more and more! It's too fun.

Here's how I'm thinking about it to compare notes for when you're back at it.

In the last few weeks especially, I've been surprised at how much more "athletic" my throws have started to feel, and my whole body will feel like it went through a thorough workout the day after I throw any significant volume of shots. And I just added more bend into my swing again from SW22's critique, and my core is exhausted after a couple rounds yesterday since it hadn't been taxed that way in a while. It didn't feel effortful when I played, but it reminds me that the body needs a little time to catch up to every tweak.

It's also significant that as we learn to generate more force, fatigue can cause a sudden break in the chain and put more jerk stress on joints and muscles. I noticed that my knees and shoulder start to take the brunt of it if I don't quit as soon as my legs fatigue (and I might not feel the pain until later), so now I just stop immediately. I can usually tell when I take a couple shots that suddenly seem shorter and higher effort before I feel any fatigue or pain - time to leave!

So I'm trying out a "1 on, 2+ off" cycle for throws right now. If I have any significant throw volume in a day, I allow two days or more to recover before throwing again. For me, my limit is around the equivalent of 2 rounds or more throwing at ~80% effort w/ frequent second shots (so like 70-80 tee shots plus any approaches, puts, walking etc.). Whether its drills or actual rounds that seems like the point when my body needs to stop.

That strategy helps me (1) identify if I'm taking any localized stress in my body and (2) allows muscles groups that get taxed by form changes to start to adapt. Between throwing sessions, I still do non-throwing posture drills & slow swings to get more body control, which also serve as flexibility training and leads to better practice when I throw again. I've started to shape my gym training to target the muscles groups that get tired the fastest a bit more. Lots of legs and core for me.

I also have changed how I do home drills - I'm usually throwing a few shots, checking my form, adjusting, and repeating for a while til I approach the volume limit (or earlier if I am getting consecutive swings looking better in a row). That way, I'm getting high quality reps on the 1 or 2 things I'm working on, and good visual memory for my swing. That also seems to help me take some of what I get from SW22 on my form review and then go on "autopilot" for longer stretches trying to clean stuff up on my own, then I check in when I'm uncertain or think I might be ready to proceed. So I'm actually throwing more like 70% effort most of the time, then when I get to the field or the course I have highly reinforced the motion pattern.

You might also know that sometimes breaks from learning can help - your brain keeps consolidating the info. The mechanisms & "optimal" breaks are still debated. In any case, you might find some things you were working on easier when you come back (and of course there will be others that need more work!).

I know I'm slightly crazy.

Hang in there :)

Latest posts