• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Success of high level athletes in disc golf...

It is definitely a hypothetical argument, and it's impossible to validate, or invalidate. I don't have firm evidence one way or the other. I have seen names of disc golfers mentioned who are in some way affiliated with college athletics, but no hard facts about their careers in college sports. What kind of success did these guys have in college at the sports they played? From a quick Google search, no college stats have shown up for any of the names mentioned.

Going forward off of the assumption that they didn't have successful careers in college athletics, but found success as disc golfers. Would that not aid in the argument, that a successful, division 2 level athlete would be able to perform well at disc golf?
http://www.natedoss.com/About-Me
Was Co-Team Captain for the team my Senior year(HS)
We had an undefeated regular season in my Senior year
While working full-time, I won 2 World Championships (05', 07') and a USDGC Title (08')

My contention is that the current best disc golfers in the world aren't in that position because of their physical gifts, and athleticism, but because there is not a significant talent pool to offer them any real competition. Therefore, them being able to devote extra time to practice, puts them in a position to continuously win tournaments, and perform well against the level of talent around them. Performance is a product of time devoted to practice, and athleticism, where both are inversely proportional to one another. I.E. Somebody with not much athleticism, given enough time, will be at the same level as somebody with more athleticism, and little time.

I believe that were somebody with a more pronounced athletic background, say a college baseball player from a division 2 school, to devote the same amount of time to training disc golf, they would surpass the top players in a short amount of time. Not only in scores, but in distance, putting range, etc. I say this for several reasons, but mainly from the watching guys with even modest sports backgrounds find instant success at disc golf.

If I recall correctly, there was a gentleman on here(or possibly DGR) who plays semi-professional football, and decided to try to learn to throw for distance. He had only 2 discs to practice with, and was able to break 500' on a consistent basis with minimal practice after 2 weeks. I'm not saying distance translates to instant success, but it's something that a lot of top pros had to train years to achieve, and many still can't do. Another example is a gentleman by the name of Glenn P. He's a pretty big guy, and was able to push discs out past 500' primarily using only upper body strength. The sound the discs make when they leave his hand, and the flight characteristics are like nothing I've seen on video from any of the top pros, let alone in person. He's not throwing huge anhyzers, or hyzer flips, he's throwing flat, straight shots that get out to 400' in a few seconds before even starting to have any action.

Now, think about somebody like a college baseball pitcher. They're capable of propelling a fast ball to 85-90mph from 60' away, into a strike zone of about 3 square feet. To do that consistently requires a firm understanding of weight transfer, body mechanics, and all the skills that would translate into a disc golf throw. Not to mention the similarities between a baseball swing, and a backhand throw. I find it hard to believe that somebody capable of learning to do that, would be unable to grasp something as simple as a disc golf backhand, forehand, overhand, or putt in a short period of time. Not only learn it, but excel at it.

If people with sports backgrounds that don't translate to disc golf pick it up so quickly, guys who have trained their whole life in a sport, and had success doing so at high levels, would excel. What are others' opinions?

No sport has the best players in the world playing it. Would Lebron be a better tight end, discus thrower, heptathelete, swimmer, soccer goalie. It is a silly argument. There is no sport in the world in which every male and female is trained from birth and selected as the best. That's what you would have to do. Take 3 billion males train them all as hard and perfect as possible...and select the best 10 basketball players... Additionally, your question is unanswerable because there are so many different types of players and you can succeed by being experts in those things. Sidearm, power, putting, thumbers, etc. For example...the best running back isnt going to be the best defensive lineman, you have variety in all sports. Some players in Disc Golf are better at different styles of courses.

Paul McBeth would basically beat almost anyone in the world. At some point, you can only really shoot 18-20 under par and much of disc golf is based on consistency and luck.

Well that was a rambling post. The point is that there is no sport in the world that has the best possible players, playing it...there are too many who havent been trained or even experienced that sport out there to know.

Also to the OP. Being good at 1 sport rarely translates to another sport. Eli Manning is a top 15 quarterback in the NFL. Could you imagine him trying to play disc golf, play soccer... Ive seen athletes try to throw out a first pitch in a game, and throw like a drunk girl.

Throwing a ball hard and fast has almost nothing to do with being good at disc golf. Ability to throw 500 ft is a skill but only 1 of a bunch of abilities including creativity, flexibility, touch, and finesse required in disc golf.

18 gold gloves, but all he could do is throw something? But I get your point, Bernie Kosar.

To the OP:
Tennis, Basketball, and Baseball all have skills that can and will help in Disc Golf play. But none of those are Flippin a Lid man :)

Lol, a pitcher gold glove is nothing like a short stop gold glove. Most pitchers throw and hide. Im not sure but I think a lot of Maddox's success was his desire to actually play defense...additionally some people's throwing motion simply does not allow them to be in the right position to field a ground ball. Maddox's, I think, was better suited to fielding after his pitch.

Lol, a pitcher gold glove is nothing like a short stop gold glove. Most pitchers throw and hide. Im not sure but I think a lot of Maddox's success was his desire to actually play defense...additionally some people's throwing motion simply does not allow them to be in the right position to field a ground ball. Maddox's, I think, was better suited to fielding after his pitch.

Maddox would probably crush most of us in disc golf, due to accuracy and mental makeup.

You know what, I'm wrong. Obviously the top 10 disc golfers in the world are elite athletes that perfected an incredibly difficult sport. They would find success in any sport they chose. We're just lucky they chose disc golf, so we can watch them compete.:rolleyes:

I'm delusional to think a person groomed for sports from childhood, who was able to compete against thousands of other highly groomed athletes, and come out on top against them, would stand a chance against a few guys that played high school basketball...:rolleyes:

Why post a question when your opinion is preconceived and set in stone. Clearly ABSOLUTLY NO sport is loaded with the best players in the world. Statistically, with the number of people in Africa, China, Pakistan, and India, the best ball potential ball golfer in the world has probably never even picked up a golf club or even played a sport except soccer.

here is what i think is being overlooked.

it is not that the great athletes of popular sports could have been top disc golf pros.

it is the fact that there are potential great disc golfers who never try the sport.

it is the people that were not introduced to the sport at an early age, who nevertheless possessed the abilities and skills that would have allowed them to be great disc golfers if they'd tried to be.

as a culture, its safe to say that we effectively mine our population for basketball and football players. latin american countries effectively mine their population for soccer players. australia and new zealand for rugby, etc.

its not that specifically lebron and chris paul would have been great soccer players. its that many americans who never give soccer a fair try might have been great.

and the same for disc golf. there are many with the potential to be great disc golfers who never became great at anything else. maybe they tried baseball and didnt quite cut it in college. maybe they played high school football but nothing else. and they never tried disc golf. this is the multitude of people that would enter the sport had it been given a much higher profile as they were raised. some of them might have succeeded at other sports. but not necessarily.

Maddox would probably crush most of us in disc golf, due to accuracy and mental makeup.

I will hit an aluminum can with a baseball ALL DAY LONG. I putt like a 6 year old. Throwing a disc and a baseball have almost nothing in common (except thumbers and tommys). I would put everything I own on McBeth over a Maddox with 3 years professional targeted disc golf training. If russians kidnapped my family and would kill them if I were wrong, I would pick McBeth instantly or most of the disc golf top 10 over any baseball player with 3 years practice.

And also roiding the whole time lol

Seriously though, the better comparison is when he fought Hughes or Saku. Both Hughes and Saku had a strength advantage and used it to beat him up despite their "inferior" technique.

Hughes arm-barred Gracie, and you're espousing "inferior technique"? And yes, I do believe that he could have broken Royce's arm. Hughes has a few appearances at ADCC. He's not a slouch.

Didn't see the Saku fight, afaik.

It would be the technique-oriented types like Maddox and not the MMA guys or wrestlers who I think would port over best to disc golf.

The guys with great hand eye coordination but more importantly a commitment to technique refinement.

Quite possibly the most ignorant thread I've ever seen. It comes down to interest. There's a local who's like 21, barely plays and can shoot roughly 1000 rated rounds but doesn't care about disc golf and would rather play guitar. Lebron could have played NFL.. Once the money is good enough to attract top talent away from alternatives, were just gonna have to settle for watching our current best.

It's Maddux guys. And he loves ball golf way too much.

It would be the technique-oriented types like Maddox and not the MMA guys or wrestlers who I think would port over best to disc golf.

The guys with great hand eye coordination but more importantly a commitment to technique refinement.

I would like to see pro hockey players and pro darts players at DG.

I'd also guess he saw there was a greater opportunity to make a name for himself as a disc golfer than a baseball player. Probably made the right choice. ;)

Kinda like Jordan. Better to put aside your first love when you know you can be the best at another game.

Last edited:

Latest posts