• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sufficient warm up routine

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
What is a sufficient warm up routine for a round? Typically I will start with putting for 5-10 minutes, increasing distance. Then I will go to an adjacent field and throw putters BH, increasing in effort. Then same with FH putters. Then Ill do some another round or two of 5-6 putter throws BH then FH continuing to ramp up to near max. So overall 15-20 throws BH and same FH ramping up from about 50% to 90%. Does this seem sufficient? What would an ideal warm up be?

For me, it is generally unloading three vehicles, setting up a half dozen tables, pounding in fence posts for banners, erecting a couple pop up canopies, organizing player packs, moving some picnic tables, running out a handful of CTP's and answering a dozen or so comments/questions on how things could be done differently.

Ideal would be a few minutes of putting and some stretching.

Just my experience: I like to do field throws before warm-up putts. I found that putting with a completely cold arm always feels janky and unproductive.

Field throws I like to alternate forehand/backhand. Start with putters and mids at 50-60% then progress to drivers at 80%.

All warm-ups stop when the throwing motion feels smooth and efficient. Don't really care about results during warm up.

What is a sufficient warm up routine for a round? Typically I will start with putting for 5-10 minutes, increasing distance. Then I will go to an adjacent field and throw putters BH, increasing in effort. Then same with FH putters. Then Ill do some another round or two of 5-6 putter throws BH then FH continuing to ramp up to near max. So overall 15-20 throws BH and same FH ramping up from about 50% to 90%. Does this seem sufficient? What would an ideal warm up be?

Minimum I do is stretch for a couple minutes. If I have time I'll toss 4-8 putts, assuming I make most I'm good. If I still have time I'll throw 3-4 backhand and 3-4 forehands. Ideally into a net so I don't have to chase them down.

Pulled up to club league this week, traffic was bad, guys were waiting on us so I stretched 1 minute and started. Shot the hot round. Lol

I've thrown 2200+ days in a row with no serious injuries (knock on wood) so I think that's sufficient evidence it at least works for me. But I never throw without a minute or two of basic stretching.

For me, it is generally unloading three vehicles, setting up a half dozen tables, pounding in fence posts for banners, erecting a couple pop up canopies, organizing player packs, moving some picnic tables, running out a handful of CTP's and answering a dozen or so comments/questions on how things could be done differently.

When I was a kid, I walked 10 miles uphill to school in 6 feet of snow and in the afternoon it is was 150 degrees in the shade when I walked home after working in the field for 12 hours.

If you played team sports, most of them run you through a lot of warm up exercises and stretching (calisthenics). Things I've read in recent years tend to be more negative towards heavy stretching, which I can understand.

Like you, my preference is to get all my muscles engaged/moving. I want to go through my range of motion as completely as possible. If I could do one thing right, it would be to be fully prepared to make my drive on the first hole without it feeling awkward. Not really an answer, but whatever I need to do to be able to step up on the first drive and execute it is the right answer.

As far as putting goes, I'm struggling to connect practice/warmup to the course.

Stretch, throw putters, throw mids.
Practice putt.

I say dont practice putt until you've thrown and got your body moving properly.
That way you know how its gonna work on the course.
Vs putting, setting expectations and then going "what happened."
Well, what happened is your body loosened up from throwing.

Mine tends to be similar. Check players in and then throw about 5 backhands and 2 forehands in one spot, putt 4-6 times just to get my elbow loose (quite often after the 2 minute call.)

Given unlimited time for warmup I will generally double those numbers but not go much beyond that. Have to balance the need to get loose with the concept that there are a finite amount of shots left in my body each day. Unless I am at a completely new to me course I very seldom warm up on the course or walk the course before a round.

Latest posts