• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Supporting UToledo disc golf to Nationals

Are you going to wear Team rocket shirts.... i of course ask this to all people who go to toledo...
Our shirts will feature the image at the link provided.
37539882_1551816064519192_r.jpeg

Good afternoon folk,

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, it doesn't seem to violate the forum guidelines, but I just wanted to bring this to the attention of some disc golfers to help out my team. This past Sunday Rocket Disc Golf, the team representing the University of Toledo, unexpectedly qualified for Collegiate Nationals. We drove 3 hours up to Central Michigan's home battlegrounds and played well enough for second place, getting a bid thanks to another team being qualified already. This was a bit of a surprise for us.

Aaron Chelchowski #56221, our team captain/club president, has spent countless hours this past year (from last spring semester onward) jumping through numerous organizational hoops at the University - from developing a constitution, to funding things until the University could get behind us, to recruitment and developing practice situations for us at indoor facilities during winter. As much as I'm a part of the team - I'd love more than anything to get him there. He deserves a reward for his work.

The university is going to be tough to work with on short notice, we need to be certain of our ability to compete by March 11th (which means being funded - I for one as a team member can't afford to spare a dime). The University is on spring break at the moment which further exacerbates the situation. So we're hoping to get this publicly funded.

So far we're off to a good start, we've reached over 600 dollars of our GoFundMe in a few days. We're hopeful that we can get all the way there. If anybody would care to help or has a few dollars to spare, I know we're not the most important thing in the world to put your money toward - but we'd truly appreciate it. We hope to start something that will result in an annually competitive team, this would be big for developing a real recruitment plan on campus toward that end.

Thanks for your time, thanks for reading if you made it this far. Have an awesome spring.

GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/rocket-disc-golf-to-nationals

Good job on fundraising. Looks like I am going to have to crush you at Nationals this year... :p JK

I am the VP of the ETSU Disc Golf Team. Have you played any tournaments in the South yet?

Good job on fundraising. Looks like I am going to have to crush you at Nationals this year... :p JK

I am the VP of the ETSU Disc Golf Team. Have you played any tournaments in the South yet?
I, personally, have played a number of events in the south (including TDing an event in the southeast corner of Georgia) when I lived down there. One of our team members played Charlotte worlds. But as a team - the qualifier that we played in six inches of snow last week was the first event we've ever played, and so would be the furthest south we've been. ;)

I don't doubt we're going to get crushed by a few teams. This year is definitely going to be a learning experience, and hopefully step one to an annual trip. We hope, with appropriate development, we'll run 4 deep with 970+ players in 2020 though and have a shot at really competing.

I, personally, have played a number of events in the south (including TDing an event in the southeast corner of Georgia) when I lived down there. One of our team members played Charlotte worlds. But as a team - the qualifier that we played in six inches of snow last week was the first event we've ever played, and so would be the furthest south we've been. ;)

I don't doubt we're going to get crushed by a few teams. This year is definitely going to be a learning experience, and hopefully step one to an annual trip. We hope, with appropriate development, we'll run 4 deep with 970+ players in 2020 though and have a shot at really competing.

Well we are playing WR Jackson a lot this year. Many of our best players cannot go because we are mostly seniors or grad students that have to teach classes. Singles is the most important single round now they do not drop the lowest score. Jackson is a beast of a course. Good luck really man, Jackson is rough. I stayed around par and was pumped. I have a crazy turnover also and its still hard. The changes to the course make it very long and tight. I hope to make it down to play, but I will most likely just come down to support the kids that will be playing in place of our A-team. Liberty, Clemson, GA State, F State and Miss state are tough teams and are normally the teams to beat.

Well we are playing WR Jackson a lot this year. Many of our best players cannot go because we are mostly seniors or grad students that have to teach classes. Singles is the most important single round now they do not drop the lowest score. Jackson is a beast of a course. Good luck really man, Jackson is rough. I stayed around par and was pumped. I have a crazy turnover also and its still hard. The changes to the course make it very long and tight. I hope to make it down to play, but I will most likely just come down to support the kids that will be playing in place of our A-team. Liberty, Clemson, GA State, F State and Miss state are tough teams and are normally the teams to beat.
I know the feeling regarding the need to teach classes. We are driving up on Tuesday evening specifically because I need to teach a class on Tuesday afternoon. We are going to arrive in town at around dawn, get out of the car, and play our first round.

Regarding the singles - you mention that it is more important now, but is it? Weren't there multiple rounds of singles before? Now it appears to be only 1 round worth, will Finals count toward total score with only the top 28 players qualifying? It seems overall there are fewer total singles rounds counting toward score relative to doubles rounds than in the past. Maybe I miscounted past tournaments.

As for Jackson - I've played it once. I made a road trip to IDGC with a friend one time and played the courses. But I hear there have been some changes to Jackson, that was back in early 2011. I've been playing at a consistent 980+ level for the past few weeks, and practicing regularly, so I'm excited to see how it challenges me in the 1 opportunity I'll get on it!

Latest posts